Pricing Photo Downloads

Jennifer Leigh PhotographJennifer Leigh Photograph Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited February 24, 2010 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I'm having an issue. I want to price my Low Res photos to download for free and my High Res and Original photos to download at a price. The High Res and Original photo price setting is working great. However, I cannot seem to price my Low Res photos for free. Can someone give me detailed step-by-step instructions on how to set my portfolio Low Res price to $0.00 so that it carries through to all my galleries?

THANK YOU!!!

PS Urgent response need!

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,339 moderator
    edited February 21, 2010
    If you price anything at 0, that item will not be available for sale.

Free downloads? Put a low res copy of the photo in a separate gallery and make originals available. That will enable downloading for free as noted in the help page http://www.smugmug.com/help/download-photos.

Other than a separate gallery, I'm not aware of a way to provide low-res downloads for free while charging for high-res downloads of the same image.

--- Denise
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2010
    Hmmm...I'm not sure what consititutes the low res and high res digital downloads, but what about limiting the largest viewable size to Medium and then turning off right-click protection. headscratch.gif

This way, a client can download a 640x350 images (low or high res?), and then they can pay to download higher resolutions.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,339 moderator
    edited February 23, 2010
    SamirD wrote:
    what about limiting the largest viewable size to Medium ...
    Ah, but that infringes on a good online viewing experience. Medium photos with today's large screens? Even with my laptop, I want to see larger than medium.

--- Denise
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2010
    Ah, but that infringes on a good online viewing experience. Medium photos with today's large screens? Even with my laptop, I want to see larger than medium.
    True, but in this "hey if it's online, it's free" Internet economy, you're just encouraging people to steal images and get something "good enough" for free.

And when the photographer is trying to charge for a high-resolution download, it is conflicting to make an image close to that resolution available. I know I wouldn't do it. People would rob me blind.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!