Which is the best camera?

frgfrg Registered Users Posts: 583 Major grins
edited February 23, 2010 in People
While I was busy spending hours on the net searching for the perfect lens ...
my 14 year old (below) was out shooting self portraits with her tiny Sony point and shoot (2nd picture).... makes you wonder if all that equiptment is worth it!

shot this one with a 70-200 f2.8 ...nice lens :)
793197769_yQF9E-L.jpg

sony point and shoot
793271978_Vzgrn-L.jpg

Comments

• Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    Her's are more artistic. I think if you spent some more time with the lens, you could take better images then the one here.

As to which camera, a DSLR is always going to be better than a compact. You just need to experiment and learn how to use it to perfection.
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    The best camera is the one you have on you.

Seriously.

I have a Cybershot P&S ALWAYS on me, I ADORE that camera. It preforms better in low light than my Rebel and will rival the XT (both equipped with kit lenses).

Then again, I use my cell phone when I want the shot *right* now. I did a newborn shoot 2 hours away about a month ago and was texting my husband random shots as I did it, I used the editor that came in the phone, converted one to black and white, bumped the contrast, etc and people ask me all the time what camera took the shot that's the screensaver - they don't believe me when I say that I took it with my phone.

It's all about how you use the camera, really - and how you know how to push it to get it to do what you want.

*I do NOT recommend using a P&S at a wedding, however, bad idea :)

P.S. Her shots are GREAT!!!! *Yours is, too, but hers are more impressive considering the gear.
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    My philosophy is if an image is worth taking ... then I want that image to be best I can get ... so I always shoot with a dSLR ... I admit there is merit to the size and convenience of a P&S ... but the bottom line is always Image Quality and Image Impact not convenience.

I have yet to find a P&S which can consistently, day-in and day-out, rival a dSLR for delivering what the photographer has pre-visualized and none which can rival a dSLR at elevated ISO's.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • The_Fat_ZebraThe_Fat_Zebra Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    Maybe you could consider feeding her artistic talent with a nice entry-level dslr?
    Street & Portrait because of the people. Landscape because it's pretty.
    Disappointed with AF of Tamron 28-75 2.8, me less happy.
  • jsquerijsqueri Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    I teach in a high school and I'm always amazed at the creativity of people under 20. If 16 year old photographers had the discipline of 50 year olds...
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2010

15524779-Ti.gif

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• frgfrg Registered Users Posts: 583 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    Thanks for all the comments /feedback!

I agree as well -

have handed over my old D70 , she is still making the transition !
    Maybe you could consider feeding her artistic talent with a nice entry-level dslr?

or if 50 year olds had the creativity of 16 year olds :D
    jsqueri wrote:
    If 16 year old photographers had the discipline of 50 year olds...
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2010
    I now LOTS of "point-n-Shoot, shooters that have never layed an eye on the owners manual and think the bigger is/MUST be better. Then I toss 'em a dslr and say "go to town". They always give me a puzzled look.

It's more important to know what you DO have, before wishing for something new.... It is possible to get nice photos from nearly anything that goes 'click', cardboard cameras included.
  • toddbtoddb Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2010
    discipline
    jsqueri wrote:
    I teach in a high school and I'm always amazed at the creativity of people under 20. If 16 year old photographers had the discipline of 50 year olds...

Unfortunately that discipline oftentimes squashes creativity...the young ones haven't had the so-called rules hammered into their heads so they aren't afraid to break those rules (intentionally or not). As we get older we spend so much time focusing on the rules and getting it right that we forget it's a visual medium and, in the end, 'what looks best is best.' The photos above are great examples....the second set breaks rules and would be technically imperfect, but the pictures just work better than dear old dad's because they are more interesting to look at.

I was reading a book to my 4-year old the other night and there was a line about a princess carrying something (flowers or something). It said she carried it with her 'all night.' My 4-year didn't understand how she could carry it 'all night' because she had to sleep during the night. The innocent, unclouded, minds are just more interesting sometimes.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2010
    This is going to be a kick butt camera when it becomes available. It is supposed to be around $500 with a 30x's zoom. A good one to leave in the car for grab shots. Another good grab camera is the Canon G11.

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/s/finepix_hs10/
  • Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2010
    D'Buggs wrote:
    It's more important to know what you DO have, before wishing for something new.... It is possible to get nice photos from nearly anything that goes 'click', cardboard cameras included.

This is very true. If you visit my site, you might see that most of the eikear pictures were all taken with a Sony Syber Shot T9. I think knowing how to work your own camera is the first thing you should do after you buy it, at least that is what i did...
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson