Options

Ideal crop prior to uploading?

James BroomeJames Broome Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
edited August 3, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I prefer to crop, color correct, sharpen, etc. in Photoshop before I upload my pics. When offering images for sale (and having lots of size options), what is generally considered the 'cover all your bases' dimension? Obviously, I don't want to drop images square since printing them correctly on 5x7 or 16x20 would be impossible - so what size would work best?
James Broome • Tampa, FL
www.jamesbroome.com
My SportsShooter.com Profile
Canon user since 1984 • Photoshop user since 1991
1D Mk IIn • 24-70 f/2.8L • 70-200 f/2.8L • 300 f/2.8L

Comments

• Options
    edited August 3, 2005
    Follow up:

When printing, how does smugmug crop for print size? Will it center the image left to right / top to bottom, then trim the edges? Will it crop just the right and bottom?
    James Broome • Tampa, FL
    www.jamesbroome.com
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2005
    Why a 3:2 ratio crop is the way to go
    TPJ wrote:
    I prefer to crop, color correct, sharpen, etc. in Photoshop before I upload my pics. When offering images for sale (and having lots of size options), what is generally considered the 'cover all your bases' dimension? Obviously, I don't want to drop images square since printing them correctly on 5x7 or 16x20 would be impossible - so what size would work best?
    I've analyzed this before myself. I concluded that unless I'm optimizing an image for one particular print size, the 2:3 crop ratio is the best overall ratio to prepare an image with before posting. Here are the popular print sizes and how their aspect ratio compares to the 2:3 ratio of a typical DSLR.

Print Size Ratio

4x6 ....... 2:3.00
    5x7 ....... 2:2.67
    8x10 ...... 2:2.50
    11x14 .... 2:2.55
    16x20 .... 2:2.50 (same as 8x10)
    20x30 .... 2:3.00 (same as 4x6)

So, what this means is that all of these sizes either fit perfectly with a 2:3 original (as in the case of the 4x6 and the 20x30) or the long side of the image will have to be cropped a bit. This means that you can "plan" for the cropping fairly easily by just making sure that you leave a little extra room on the long side of your image so that it can be cropped to fit the worst case sizes. Those worst case sizes are 8x10 and 16x20 which will need to crop 20% of the long side.

For awhile, I considered cropping most images to a 4:3 ratio instead of a 3:2 ratio. I originally thought that 4:3 might be better because that ratio is more in the center of the print sizes, some sizes crop a little from the long side and some sizes crop a little from the short side. At first, it seemed like it would be better to be in the middle of the range with a balance. But, I found that situation impossible to plan for in my composition of post processing cropping. To do this, you have to leave extra image on all sides and that just seemed to be completely sub-optimal. Also, NONE of the print sizes match a 4:3 ratio exactly. With the 3:2 ratio, I can plan my composition and post processing to always leave a little extra image on the long side and some print sizes match this ratio exactly. It just seems a whole lot simpler to work with 3:2. And, it also has the nice benefit that my camera produces native 3:2 and my viewfinder is 3:2 so it all works out pretty well.

I personally would like smugmug to allow pro accounts to "preset crops" on each image for prints we have for sale so we can guarentee that each size print gets the best crop for each image and the customer doesn't have to figure it out. That's a lot of work to prepare, but if you are selling something really important like wedding photos, it's absolutely important to get this right.

--John
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2005
    Centered on the crop dimension
    TPJ wrote:
    Follow up:

When printing, how does smugmug crop for print size? Will it center the image left to right / top to bottom, then trim the edges? Will it crop just the right and bottom?
    They ask the user to position the crop. It defaults to centering the crop on the dimension that has to be trimmed (which is the only intelligent default), shows the user a small preview of the crop and then lets the user adjust it if they want.

You can see it yourself by just putting some images in your cart and playing with them. You don't have to actually complete the purchase transaction to see this.

--John
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2005
    Thanks for the info, John. Looks like you might've missed my point in the follow up as you pretty much answered me in your initial post (they drop the long sides).

Thanks!
    James Broome • Tampa, FL
    www.jamesbroome.com
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2005
    Glad to help
    TPJ wrote:
    Thanks for the info, John. Looks like you might've missed my point in the follow up as you pretty much answered me in your initial post (they drop the long sides).
    The default (if the user does nothing) is to evently clip the side that is too long. That can be either the long side of the image or the short side of the image depending upon the original aspect ratio and the print size aspect ratio. As I said in my earlier email, one of the advantages of posting the 3:2 aspect ratio, is this will always be the long side of the image that is clipped if you start with that aspect ratio. If, however, you start with the 4:3 aspect ratio, sometimes it will be the long side that is clipped and sometimes it will be the short side.

The user has two additional choices instead of taking the default cropping:
    1) They can manually position the crop to specify a crop different from centered on the dimension that is too long. For example, they could take it all off the top or all off the bottom, instead of evenly off the top and bottom.

2) They can specify "no crop". In this case, the image will be shrunk so that the side that didn't fit will now fit and there will extra white space on the print along the other edge.

--John
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2005
    jfriend wrote:
    2) They can specify "no crop". In this case, the image will be shrunk so that the side that didn't fit will now fit and there will extra white space on the print along the other edge.
    ACK! Are you serious?
    James Broome • Tampa, FL
    www.jamesbroome.com
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2005
    No crop is useful sometimes
    TPJ wrote:
    ACK! Are you serious?
    If you have an image that can't be cropped in any dimension without losing something important, yet you want an image around a size that would require cropping on some dimension, then you may decide that you'll NOT crop it and deal with the resulting non-standard image size. You'd either have to buy/make a custom-sized frame/matt or use it in a non-framed way. In the cases I've seen, this is most likely to happen with something like 8x10 which is the farthest from 3:2 and requires cropping 20% of the long dimension. If the image just won't work after losing 20% from the long dimension, yet you want a print around the size of 8x10, then you can set it to "no crop" and you will get a 6.66x10 print with no cropping.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2005
    TPJ wrote:
    ACK! Are you serious?

Well, what else is there to do when a customer requests a specific paper size and no trimming, but the photo and paper are mismatched? Mathematically, the only way to meet those specific requirements, without squeezing/stretching the image, is to fit the long side of the photo to the edge and leave white space on the short side.

The problem could also be solved by selecting one of the other odd paper sizes (for example, the D digital, square, or panorama sizes, when available) it might fit better with less or no cropping.

I now have a crop tool preset in Photoshop that's set to 3:2 so that this is not a chore. There is also a 3:2 crop option in Adobe Camera Raw.
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2005
    colourbox wrote:
    Well, what else is there to do when a customer requests a specific paper size and no trimming, but the photo and paper are mismatched? Mathematically, the only way to meet those specific requirements, without squeezing/stretching the image, is to fit the long side of the photo to the edge and leave white space on the short side.
    True enough. No way around it, really.

Thanks folks!
    James Broome • Tampa, FL
    www.jamesbroome.com