2:
791766320_PnMgg-XL.jpg

3:
791766563_RQ6UF-XL-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    The horn in front of the face is an old effect, but a good one.

All three of these fun to look at. Figure out how to hold some more highlight detail through post in the last two. They are good enough for for some extra effort.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    #2 is for me, would of been how I'd of shot it.

Old man walking into the frame, along with "Old Time Jazz" on the sign.
    Also I think about what's he thinking about doing with that cane, maybe there Jazz
    don't cut it :D
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    The horn in front of the face is an old effect, but a good one.

All three of these fun to look at. Figure out how to hold some more highlight detail through post in the last two. They are good enough for for some extra effort.

Thanks, rutt, as always. I will revisit the PP -- I just read some on the workflow on PP with Adobe E7 and will play with it some more. Your encouragement is much appreciated.
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2010
    bfjr wrote:
    #2 is for me, would of been how I'd of shot it.

Old man walking into the frame, along with "Old Time Jazz" on the sign.
    Also I think about what's he thinking about doing with that cane, maybe there Jazz
    don't cut it :D

I am glad that you like this shot. I actually gave forethought to including passerbys in the frame. This was the second attempt and when I saw it on the camera LCD, I thought that was as good as I could hope for.

Thanks!
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    I like all three very much. Each tells a different story if I look at it as a stand alone picture.

For me, #1 wins on composition. I love the group off to the left - the young women reaching into their purses, even the one looking towards the camera. The grouping provides a nice balance to the picture and adds to the story.

#2, though, is intriguing in an entirely different way. It tells a different story and has a nice touch of ambiguity. I love that the man walking into the frame seems oblivious to the music - or is he?

#3 is, again, a totally different picture. Just looking at this picture, we don't know the group's name though the fact that they are playing in front of a vacant store tells its own tale. Great having the face of the child framed not only by the thingie on the stroller, but by the horn.

Liking the set even more as I look at it longer.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    rainbow wrote:
    1:
    ]

First, definitely boost the contrast on all three - find black and white points.
    With that out of the way - you've got three good shots here. But I definitely would crop the first, getting rid of everything to the left of the couple on the left - that will focus more attention on them, because they really are the story here. I'd also crop a bit of the empty window on the left hand side of number 2. Number three I wouldn't touch.

Again, nice shots!clap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2010
    Flyinggina wrote:
    I like all three very much. Each tells a different story if I look at it as a stand alone picture.

For me, #1 wins on composition. I love the group off to the left - the young women reaching into their purses, even the one looking towards the camera. The grouping provides a nice balance to the picture and adds to the story.

#2, though, is intriguing in an entirely different way. It tells a different story and has a nice touch of ambiguity. I love that the man walking into the frame seems oblivious to the music - or is he?

#3 is, again, a totally different picture. Just looking at this picture, we don't know the group's name though the fact that they are playing in front of a vacant store tells its own tale. Great having the face of the child framed not only by the thingie on the stroller, but by the horn.

Liking the set even more as I look at it longer.

Virginia

Thank you, Virginia. I appreciate the compliments and commentary on each shot. The commentaries are spot on for what I saw and tried to achieve in each shot. (Also please read my response to B. D. post)
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    First, definitely boost the contrast on all three - find black and white points.
    With that out of the way - you've got three good shots here. But I definitely would crop the first, getting rid of everything to the left of the couple on the left - that will focus more attention on them, because they really are the story here. I'd also crop a bit of the empty window on the left hand side of number 2. Number three I wouldn't touch.

Again, nice shots!clap.gifclap.gif

Thank you for your suggestions and comments. I feel as I took a step forward in shooting these BECAUSE I thought about your response when you had shot the girl in the restaurant shot and you stated that you saw and composed the shot before taking it. I had that in mind before I snapped away, trying to shoot with a known purpose. So, my quantity was down (not just shooting a lot and taking the best), but I thought I somewhat succeeded in having my shots tell a story (as shown by Virginia's interpretations).

I will revisit the PP per your and rutt's suggestion and incorporate those into my evaluation of future PPs that I post. Again, thanks!
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    rainbow wrote:
    Thank you for your suggestions and comments. I feel as I took a step forward in shooting these BECAUSE I thought about your response when you had shot the girl in the restaurant shot and you stated that you saw and composed the shot before taking it. I had that in mind before I snapped away, trying to shoot with a known purpose. So, my quantity was down (not just shooting a lot and taking the best), but I thought I somewhat succeeded in having my shots tell a story (as shown by Virginia's interpretations).

I will revisit the PP per your and rutt's suggestion and incorporate those into my evaluation of future PPs that I post. Again, thanks!

You're quite welcome. And you definitely succeeded here. clap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    Chollie2Chollie2 Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    Great street shots! Good perspectives all round.
    After my eyes wandered all over the place enjoying the musicians and the clutter of street reality- I kept coming back to the little one in the pram. What in the world is that over his face and head? He/she sure seems to be enjoying it.
    Charlie
  • Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    The more I look, the more I see. In #3 I like the face of the disembodied man man on the far left in the window reflection on the far right. #2 is my favourite of the group. I love the gentleman walking into the frame with absolutely no attention paid to the band. Not into Jazz? Hearing impaired? No time to waste?
    Thanks for sharing them.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    Really like #1--so many things to see. The little kid in the stroller adds humor to the shot for me.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2010
    Chollie2 wrote:
    Great street shots! Good perspectives all round.
    After my eyes wandered all over the place enjoying the musicians and the clutter of street reality- I kept coming back to the little one in the pram. What in the world is that over his face and head? He/she sure seems to be enjoying it.
    Charlie

I looked up "pram" to confirm that it is what I refer to as a "stroller". Same one is seen in shot #1 whereby kid is hiding face with it. It looks to be a cover with a plastic viewing window (maybe even for the parent to check on the child. In #3, it appears as if the child has two faces in that window. Maybe that is why s/he is hiding in shot #1... rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for looking and commenting!
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2010
    Patti wrote:
    The more I look, the more I see. In #3 I like the face of the disembodied man man on the far left in the window reflection on the far right. #2 is my favourite of the group. I love the gentleman walking into the frame with absolutely no attention paid to the band. Not into Jazz? Hearing impaired? No time to waste?
    Thanks for sharing them.

In #3, I wanted to get the banjo player through the windows and spotted the kid in the "pram". Reflection was a bonus seen afterwards on my PC. #2 was with intent to capture a pedestrian and luck would have it that this gentleman strolled (prammed?) by looking like his cane was more a defensive weapon than an ambulatory aid.

Thanks for looking and commenting!
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2010
    Really like #1--so many things to see. The little kid in the stroller adds humor to the shot for me.

It was a great day to take these shots -- so many things to photograph. It was a definite bonus that their music had a "feelgood" tone to make it such a pleasant time for all.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2010
    Another shot of the pram...

797666879_q9Ha7-L.jpg

BTW, does anyone else think the trumpeteer resembles D Letterman? He had the personality to match.