Help Required

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited February 21, 2010 in Cameras
I have just passed on my 400D and a couple of lenses to a friend and he is having problems. I use Windows XP my friend is using Vista Home Premium and for some reason he is unable to download the images onto Eos Utility to go onto ZoomBrowser EX on his new laptop. However, on his old laptop which is Windows XP everything is working fine. What does my friend need to do to get everything to work on his new Vista laptop? An early reply would really be appreciated.
Regards
Bob

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 21, 2010
    It sounds like a driver problem. Unless your friend uses genuine Vista drivers it likely will not work. Those drivers may be available on the Canon site.

A better way is to use a Vista compatible card reader.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    It sounds like a driver problem. Unless your friend uses genuine Vista drivers it likely will not work. Those drivers may be available on the Canon site.

A better way is to use a Vista compatible card reader.

Hi Ziggy,
    Yeah we initially thought it was a driver problem. However, please forgive me as I am not quite sure what you mean when you say" Unless your friend uses genuine Vista drivers it likely will not work." He is using a genuine Vista Home Premium on his new laptop. Also, A better way is to use a Vista compatible card reader. How would we go about doing this. Thanks once again for your help and all the help you have given me in the past, which I truly appreciate.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 21, 2010
    Drivers are the software that you load from the CD that came with the camera that allow the computer and camera to communicate via the USB cable. The drivers have to match the operating system and the drivers for XP are probably different than the drivers for Vista. 32 bit version operating systems versus 64 bit operating systems may also be an issue.

A card reader is an external device that attaches to the computer. Again, you install the drivers (if needed) before attaching the card reader, but the card reader will indicate whether it is XP or Vista compatible and the directions that come with the card reader will indicate if any drivers are required and where those drivers are located.

The nice thing about a card reader is that it is usually a simple device and very reliable. You save wear and tear of the camera too.

If you have a local computer shop or camera shop or electronics shop, they will have additional knowledge about these issues.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Drivers are the software that you load from the CD that came with the camera that allow the computer and camera to communicate via the USB cable. The drivers have to match the operating system and the drivers for XP are probably different than the drivers for Vista. 32 bit version operating systems versus 64 bit operating systems may also be an issue.

A card reader is an external device that attaches to the computer. Again, you install the drivers (if needed) before attaching the card reader, but the card reader will indicate whether it is XP or Vista compatible and the directions that come with the card reader will indicate if any drivers are required and where those drivers are located.

The nice thing about a card reader is that it is usually a simple device and very reliable. You save wear and tear of the camera too.

If you have a local computer shop or camera shop or electronics shop, they will have additional knowledge about these issues.

Thanks Ziggy once again you have come to my assistance and I truly appreciate your advice. Regards
    Bob