UCONN women Huskies vs Providence Friars

SirGeorgeSirGeorge Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
edited February 27, 2010 in Sports
Basketball is not one of my sports and this was my 5th game lifetime as I seek to expand my portfolio from my core sports, but I hope you enjoy these shots from yesterdays UCONN Huskies vs Providence College Women Friars.

I don't yet know the nuances of the game but I am working on it!! I included the cheerleader shot because it is part of the pageantry and I love the DOF!

Regards,

UCONN_Huskies_Providence_Women_Friars_by_George_Ross__022010_IMG_0938.jpg
UCONN_Huskies_Providence_Women_Friars_by_George_Ross__022010_IMG_7619.jpg

UCONN_Huskies_Providence_Women_Friars_by_George_Ross__022010_IMG_5676.jpg

UCONN_Huskies_Providence_Women_Friars_by_George_Ross__022010_IMG_5787.jpg
UCONN_Huskies_Providence_Women_Friars_by_George_Ross__022010_IMG_6166.jpg

Comments

• jimqjrjimqjr Registered Users Posts: 250 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    Your pictures are incredible.
    Care to give me some pointers?
    Like ISO that you are shooting, lenses you used.
    Do you crop in tighter or are you shooting that tight?
    Looks like lighting is better than highschool also.
    I am shooting my daughters varsity playoffs this week and could use a little extra.
    Thanks for advice.
  • SirGeorgeSirGeorge Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    My set up
    Thank you, if you would like to see more check out the gallery here

First of all I am a rookie at basketball but not sport. My style. in all sports, can be seen i these shot - up close and personal. I take low-probability shots - long lens, shallow DOF and try to minmize crropping. You can't get away from cropping and cropping makes most images but I try to get as close as I can (the 1st shot was not cropped). There is a risk shooting so tight but when it works it is awesome but I would suggest backing of the focal length a bit as I get to aggessive.

My set up of this was 3 bodies/ 3 lenses: 7D/300 f/2.8, 40D 70-200 f/2.8, 40D 24/70mm f/28

The 40D's aren't that great compared to the 7D.

Most of my shots were taken with the 300.

I sit under the net, on the paint and move from the net to the corner - to change angles (Couldn't do that at the UCONN game so I sat in one position)

All cameras were set at AV, centered-weighted metering, ISO1600 and 3200 (40Ds) and 1600 to 5000 (7D) ( I reduced the ISO as the game progressed).

f2.8 for all.

I used the 300 to work under the net (30 on a crop is a bit long and you have to work real hard to stay with the action but the results are good), as soon as a goal was scored I would switch to the 70-200 or the 24-70 depending on what I wanted to do under the net.

I only shoot of the ball is in the frame and always at the top of the bounce unless there are great facial expressions going on.

Although this is only my 5th game, It is clear that you have to use continious shooting like you are a madman - anticipate the move and shoot small bursts

What have I learned:

* do not worry about your ISO, worry about your shuter speed. Push you ISO as high as you have to get a fast shutter speed.

* in school gyms always use a grey card

* great action happens on the rebound - so, when the ball comes off the board track it and shoot

* keep you eye on the shot clock because with a few seconds left something will happen

* shoot defensive plays not just offensive plays

* stay with the action (like any sport) when there is an incident keep shooting - stuff happens!

* change angles and perspective

* shoot close and crop closer to isolate your subject

* be relaxed and justy have fun - if you take low-probability shots expect low-probablility and do not be dissapointed if you miss a bunch ( I have been shooting for 30 years and I am Scottish which is why I have never been to basketball before this season)

Hope that helps, if you need anything else just holler!

George

jimqjr wrote:
    Your pictures are incredible.
    Care to give me some pointers?
    Like ISO that you are shooting, lenses you used.
    Do you crop in tighter or are you shooting that tight?
    Looks like lighting is better than highschool also.
    I am shooting my daughters varsity playoffs this week and could use a little extra.
    Thanks for advice.
  • jimqjrjimqjr Registered Users Posts: 250 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2010
    Wow, Thanks for the info George.
    Do you hand hold the 300? Honestly you sit at the base line with it?
    I really like the looks of your pictures and am really trying to get to the next level though I have 27.5 years in order to catch up with you. So I am new though I am being told I am pretty good. Never was much into taking pictures until I had had enough with the girls basketball parents. My daughter plays and one thing led to another, High School lights suck and I do not like the lighting that MAXPreps uses so I tried a 50 1.2 and things started to fall into place. Biggest issue can't get further than 10 feet fall off is pretty bad and depth of field is pretty narrow so I tend to stick to 1.4-1.6 still skinny. Last year the local paper used 45 of my shots so I am doing something right. The parents think I am the greatest because I work on getting each of the kids into the paper. Great to be apart of a small community.
    I have an opportunity to shot the Sacramento Kings at the Arco and really want to come away with something incredible. I have the equipment just not alot of depth as far as knowledge.
    I posted some pictures I took Wed and Friday of our Boys at the Playoffs and the lights at are gym are pretty good. If you would like to look at them please go to 2nd Game of Play Basketball Playoffs C&C.
    Thanks again for your time and the inspiration.
    Sincerely,
    Jim Quaschnick Jr
    SirGeorge wrote:
    Thank you, if you would like to see more check out the gallery here

First of all I am a rookie at basketball but not sport. My style. in all sports, can be seen i these shot - up close and personal. I take low-probability shots - long lens, shallow DOF and try to minmize crropping. You can't get away from cropping and cropping makes most images but I try to get as close as I can (the 1st shot was not cropped). There is a risk shooting so tight but when it works it is awesome but I would suggest backing of the focal length a bit as I get to aggessive.

My set up of this was 3 bodies/ 3 lenses: 7D/300 f/2.8, 40D 70-200 f/2.8, 40D 24/70mm f/28

The 40D's aren't that great compared to the 7D.

Most of my shots were taken with the 300.

I sit under the net, on the paint and move from the net to the corner - to change angles (Couldn't do that at the UCONN game so I sat in one position)

All cameras were set at AV, centered-weighted metering, ISO1600 and 3200 (40Ds) and 1600 to 5000 (7D) ( I reduced the ISO as the game progressed).

f2.8 for all.

I used the 300 to work under the net (30 on a crop is a bit long and you have to work real hard to stay with the action but the results are good), as soon as a goal was scored I would switch to the 70-200 or the 24-70 depending on what I wanted to do under the net.

I only shoot of the ball is in the frame and always at the top of the bounce unless there are great facial expressions going on.

Although this is only my 5th game, It is clear that you have to use continious shooting like you are a madman - anticipate the move and shoot small bursts

What have I learned:

* do not worry about your ISO, worry about your shuter speed. Push you ISO as high as you have to get a fast shutter speed.

* in school gyms always use a grey card

* great action happens on the rebound - so, when the ball comes off the board track it and shoot

* keep you eye on the shot clock because with a few seconds left something will happen

* shoot defensive plays not just offensive plays

* stay with the action (like any sport) when there is an incident keep shooting - stuff happens!

* change angles and perspective

* shoot close and crop closer to isolate your subject

* be relaxed and justy have fun - if you take low-probability shots expect low-probablility and do not be dissapointed if you miss a bunch ( I have been shooting for 30 years and I am Scottish which is why I have never been to basketball before this season)

Hope that helps, if you need anything else just holler!

George
  • SirGeorgeSirGeorge Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2010
    nice stuff
    Jim,
    Just checked out your gallery - great stuff and good light. I have a style difference in that I shoot upper body - up close and personal :) but I love your shots.

The boys create a greater spectacle with great air but this girls make it up in other ways in their approach to the game.

It is easy to hand hold the 300 (with the IS turned off) at a basket ball game becase after a score I switch to the 70-200 so you are not really holding it for extended perios of time.

I experimented with a 50mm 1.4 but did not like the focal length restriction which is why I shoot close with the big lenses and then use 24-70mm for under the net for a radically different perspective.

Sitting on the paint is great fun but it does restrict your angles and you occasionally get to bump your head of a players knee. Later today I will be shooting the PC Friars vs Rutgers - and will psot some from that game.

As I state, basketball is not a game that I understand the nuances off but I am slowly getting there -I am a track and field junky!

Regards,

jimqjr wrote:
    Wow, Thanks for the info George.
    Do you hand hold the 300? Honestly you sit at the base line with it?
    I really like the looks of your pictures and am really trying to get to the next level though I have 27.5 years in order to catch up with you. So I am new though I am being told I am pretty good. Never was much into taking pictures until I had had enough with the girls basketball parents. My daughter plays and one thing led to another, High School lights suck and I do not like the lighting that MAXPreps uses so I tried a 50 1.2 and things started to fall into place. Biggest issue can't get further than 10 feet fall off is pretty bad and depth of field is pretty narrow so I tend to stick to 1.4-1.6 still skinny. Last year the local paper used 45 of my shots so I am doing something right. The parents think I am the greatest because I work on getting each of the kids into the paper. Great to be apart of a small community.
    I have an opportunity to shot the Sacramento Kings at the Arco and really want to come away with something incredible. I have the equipment just not alot of depth as far as knowledge.
    I posted some pictures I took Wed and Friday of our Boys at the Playoffs and the lights at are gym are pretty good. If you would like to look at them please go to 2nd Game of Play Basketball Playoffs C&C.
    Thanks again for your time and the inspiration.
    Sincerely,
    Jim Quaschnick Jr