Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS #45 (Together or Apart - Single Exposure Challenge)

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited March 8, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge #45

Welcome to Round #45 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to any Dgrin member. It will run from Monday, February 22, 08:00am, EST time (GMT -5) to Monday, March 8, 08:00am, EST time (GMT -5).

The topic ready for your interpretation: Together or Apart - Single Exposure Challenge

Near or far, the interaction—or lack thereof—between subjects in your photos can speak volumes about a story, a place, things, or people. See what a little (or a lot) of space can do. Your photo must comprise only one frame. This means no composites, no HDR blends, no photomerges, no diptychs or triptychs. One frame. One EXIF. You may do as much post-production as you like on the image, but it must contain only one frame. Good luck!

Your Judges:
cmurph (Winner of Round 42)
adbsgicom (Guest Judge)

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a Smugmug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page: Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your exif will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules, there have been some slight modifications.

Comments

• Options
    edited February 22, 2010
    For anyone who's not keeping count, this is the final round before the next Mega-Challenge. :wow
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    Already? eek7.gif

Seems like we just had one! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    After years of absence, I'm in. :lynnsite
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    And I just learned how to do photo merge. rolleyes1.gif Guess I'll have to set that skill aside for a future challenge. :D
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    Does this mean multiple layers of an original frame are not allowed?

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2010
    Cuong wrote:
    Does this mean multiple layers of an original frame are not allowed?

Cuong

If you're referring to something like duplicating the original image and changing the layer copy blending mode to multiply for more contrast, yes, that's fine. One frame only, but you can edit that one frame as you like.
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    Wow! Another really challenging topic! I'll definitely learn something new this round.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    Dedalus77Dedalus77 Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    Yikes, this one is gonna be hard.
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2010
    1 quick question, if we were to use film, would that go against any of the rules regarding including exifs?
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2010
    mr peas wrote:
    1 quick question, if we were to use film, would that go against any of the rules regarding including exifs?

Yes, it would. Specfically, this part:
    Proof of Fresh Photo: Entries must have exif embedded (do not use methods such as "save for web", which strip exif info). As such, only images taken digitally will be accepted (no scanned images).
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2010
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Yes, it would. Specfically, this part:

It's a good thing I asked first.
    Perhaps if I throw in the latest newspaper, my birth certificate and in the presence of a notary public in the photo?
    haha jk mwink.gif
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2010
    Description Field
    Hello Kerry,
    I'm new to the challenges and wanted to thankyou for managing these. I'm anxious to shoot for the categories.
    With that said, is it appropriate to describe the process of making the image. On my first entry for #44 Silhouette, this was a 'found' image on my card, that I attempted to make work. But for this challenge, and my guess is for future challenges, I'm finding that I'm doing a good bit of pre-producing, prior to going out to shoot my quote/unquote vision(Laughing.gif) this weekend. I just didn't know if that process was appropriate to include or share.

Best,
    P

paulfrocchi.smugmug.com
    paulfrocchi@gmail.com
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2010
    Welcome to the Challenges, Paul! wave.gif

If you'd like to explain your image, the best place to do that is here in the Challenges forum. Post a feedback thread here with your image and detail your process as much as you like. thumb.gif Alternatively, after each round ends, the participants post an "Unofficial Feedback Thread" that welcomes how-tos and behind-the-scenes explanations. You can also post there.

For the entry gallery itself, though, keep the caption limited only to the "username - title" format outlined in the rules. deal.gif
  • Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2010
    Llywellyn wrote:

Near or far, the interaction—or lack thereof—between subjects in your photos can speak volumes about a story, a place, things, or people. See what a little (or a lot) of space can do. Your photo must comprise only one frame. This means no composites, no HDR blends, no photomerges, no diptychs or triptychs. One frame. One EXIF. You may do as much post-production as you like on the image, but it must contain only one frame. Good luck!
    QUESTION..... Does this mean there need to be at least two living beings in the shot??
    I have a few images I took today, working on processing. But some only have one person.....
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2010
    Well, in the text you quoted, it looks like "people" wasn't the only thing listed as a potential subject. deal.gif
  • Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2010
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Well, in the text you quoted, it looks like "people" wasn't the only thing listed as a potential subject. deal.gif
    Very good.... I will be posting some quick edits shortly for C&C....
    Thanks!
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2010
    re: Description Field
    Thanks Kerry!
  • Options
    Richard_GRichard_G Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    I hope this isn't a newbie question, but I see no links to upload photos when I go there or log in there.

Help?
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    Richard_G wrote:
    I hope this isn't a newbie question, but I see no links to upload photos when I go there or log in there.

Help?

When you get to the gallery page, click logout, and then login with "challenges, challenges", then click on add photos to this gallerydeal.gif
  • Options
    Richard_GRichard_G Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    dlplumer wrote:
    When you get to the gallery page, click logout, and then login with "challenges, challenges", then click on add photos to this gallerydeal.gif

D'oh!.... Double D'oh!

Thanks.
  • Options
    GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    dlplumer wrote:
    Ok, went there but can't figure out where to go in the Gallery page. Don't see a logout button either. Sorry for the most basic of basic questions here.
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2010
    At the very bottom of the entry gallery, next to the "Powered by SmugMug" text, is the link to log in/log out. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2010
    Llywellyn wrote:
    At the very bottom of the entry gallery, next to the "Powered by SmugMug" text, is the link to log in/log out. thumb.gif
    I don't got no login/logout there. eek7.gif Just Contacts, Help, etc. That's why I'm confused...ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2010
    GadgetRick wrote:
    I don't got no login/logout there. eek7.gif Just Contacts, Help, etc. That's why I'm confused...ne_nau.gif

Are you sure you're in the correct gallery (linked in the first post of this thread)? The Challenges gallery archive with past entries and winners doesn't have a login option. Only the entry gallery does.
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2010
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Are you sure you're in the correct gallery (linked in the first post of this thread)? The Challenges gallery archive with past entries and winners doesn't have a login option. Only the entry gallery does.
    Ah, maybe that's it... Let me go back and check...
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2010
    Ok, figured out how to get into the correct gallery, however, I cannot upload to it. The simple uploader won't do anything for me. I've dragged/dropped the file there but nothing happens. If I try and select the file via the files/folders button, first of all, it won't allow me to select an external HD (??) and, when I copy the file over to my internal HD, it shows up grayed out. Can I not upload a TIFF?

Thanks.

EDIT: Ok, figured it out. Doesn't allow TIFFs.
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2010
    Ok, sorry, I goofed! I uploaded a pic which was taken about a week before the contest. Sorry, not sure how to remove that pic. I can add another but don't want to unless I can remove the other.

Newb mistake....
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2010
    Just update the caption for the photo you want removed to say "please delete" or something along those lines. Deleting entries is a mod power only. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2010
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Just update the caption for the photo you want removed to say "please delete" or something along those lines. Deleting entries is a mod power only. thumb.gif
    Thought so. I have one which I did take during the time, do I just upload another photo then?
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2010
    GadgetRick wrote:
    Thought so. I have one which I did take during the time, do I just upload another photo then?

Yeeup! :D