Options

COOL!!! A cicada is born

DaniDani Registered Users Posts: 807 Major grins
edited August 6, 2005 in Holy Macro
I was helping dad put pool chems away in the poolhouse and happened to notice this guy out of the corner of my eye. Its the first time I've EVER seen one of these shedding into adult form! I've always found just the empty shells laying around.

These were all taken handheld with the rebel, 18-55kit + 250D and my new speedlite 550ex flash

Shedding old skin
CRW_3187s-vi.jpg

It didn't have anything to grab onto to pull itself the rest of the way out... so I offered it a finger and it latched on and gave a tug... out from its old shell it came and it crawled up my hand

CRW_3192s-vi.jpg

I didn't want to interfer too much though.. so I promptly let it crawl onto a branch so it could dry normally. They really are pretty when their wings unfurl!

here he's all crinkly still though

CRW_3198s-vi.jpg

It didn't take long for them to dry... I got the camera hooked up and then went back out to look at him and they were already nice and unfurled and dry. I think they wait around for their exterior to harden up before making any first flights though!

after I unloaded the first pics I went back out and took more of him with his wings dry!! Had to use a flash light to help the cam focus lol...

here they are!

CRW_3209s-vi.jpg

and

CRW_3204s-vi.jpg

Hope you guys enjoyed as much as I did!!
Dani

20D | 300D-IR | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 18-55 | 50 f/1.8 II | 70-200 f/4L | 17-40L | Lensbaby 2.0 | 250D | 550ex | Gitzo 1257 | RRS BH-40 | RRS L-plates

The Blog | The Photos

Comments

• Options
    aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2005
    Wow!!! That is very cool! I don't think I have ever witnessed that, even though we have tons of them back home. Thanks for posting those!
  • Options
    audiaudi Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2005
    !
    wow. that first shot is amazing! very symbolic.

wonderful job!
    "See how willingly Nature poses herself upon photographers' plates. No earthly chemicals are so sensitive as those of the human soul. "
    -John Muir

http://www.austinbphotography.com

Nature Photographers Community
    Founding Member
    http://www.smugmug.com/community/NaturePhotographers
  • Options
    nikknikk Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited August 3, 2005
    clap.gif picture all nice and sharp. i really enjoyed looking thru this series aswell.

but the only advice i want to give is....................... go out and get a card reader now!icon10.gif
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2005
    Thanks guys!!!!

for those who posted earlier.. I added pics of him with his wings dry too :):
    Dani

20D | 300D-IR | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 18-55 | 50 f/1.8 II | 70-200 f/4L | 17-40L | Lensbaby 2.0 | 250D | 550ex | Gitzo 1257 | RRS BH-40 | RRS L-plates

The Blog | The Photos
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited August 3, 2005
    Very interesting series of shots Dani thumb.gif

I think these images are an excellent demonstration of what can be achieved with a 250D filter screw in macro lens adapter and the 580ex. These images are very nice and do not suffer from the harch electronic flash look usually seen with on camera flash. Very nicely done Dani!! The 580ex rocks!!

Did you hold the flash off camera or was it mounted in the hot shoe?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Very interesting series of shots Dani thumb.gif

I think these images are an excellent demonstration of what can be achieved with a 250D filter screw in macro lens adapter and the 580ex. These images are very nice and do not suffer from the harch electronic flash look usually seen with on camera flash. Very nicely done Dani!! The 580ex rocks!!

Did you hold the flash off camera or was it mounted in the hot shoe?
    Thanks!!! The flash was on camera inthe hotshoe.... I need a lens combo that gives a longer working distance though.. because the 250D with the kit lens puts you rather close for flash work. That or I need some kind of flash bracket or stand for off camera use.
    Dani

The Blog | The Photos
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2005
    Yes very cool series, never seen that myself thumb.gif
    Thanks for posting :D
  • Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2005
    Great shots and captures Dani, I love the colours on newly emerged adult insects- sort of look like ground glass/jade.

Brian V.
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2005
    Neat series Dani. thumb.gif Luck to find it, but what you did afterwards was certainly not luck. That 250 is quite impressive!

regards
    alan
  • Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2005
    kerching!a sale?
    very nice shot dani-it is so rare to catch them in this act and rarer still to have a camera handy-i think this could be a seller.(congratulations on the 'you know what business' too-hope all works out)

greg

Dani wrote:
    I was helping dad put pool chems away in the poolhouse and happened to notice this guy out of the corner of my eye. Its the first time I've EVER seen one of these shedding into adult form! I've always found just the empty shells laying around.

These were all taken handheld with the rebel, 18-55kit + 250D and my new speedlite 550ex flash

Shedding old skin
    CRW_3187s-vi.jpg

It didn't have anything to grab onto to pull itself the rest of the way out... so I offered it a finger and it latched on and gave a tug... out from its old shell it came and it crawled up my hand

CRW_3192s-vi.jpg

I didn't want to interfer too much though.. so I promptly let it crawl onto a branch so it could dry normally. They really are pretty when their wings unfurl!

CRW_3198s-vi.jpg

It didn't take long for them to dry... I got the camera hooked up and then went back out to look at him and they were already nice and unfurled and dry. I think they wait around for their exterior to harden up before making any first flights though!

after I unloaded the first pics I went back out and took more of him with his wings dry!! Had to use a flash light to help the cam focus lol...

here they are!

CRW_3209s-vi.jpg

and

CRW_3204s-vi.jpg

Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2005
    A nice story and cool shots. What more could we want?
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2005
    aj: there's still time to find a girl that's more, well, "girlie." lol3.gif

:uhoh
  • Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2005
    allright in my book
    bug fancying gals are ok in my book -they can put up with just about anything and can rough it -its the ones who are scared of chipping nail polish and messing up the hair that I am wary of....
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2005
    andy wrote:

lol... Naw, me likes his woman a bit dirty. Ok, a lot dirty... thumb.gif:D

WTG Dani!!!! Great shots, tack sharp! I knew you'd get great bug macros with your new flash! clap.gif

AJ
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2005
    Ohhhh Excellent Work Dani :)
    They are weird looking bugs those Cicadas, actually last summer was the first time I haven't really heard them, this year I think we have a had a lot more rain so this summer might see a change in things.....the drought did some major damage to the Eco system, we hardly hand any bees either.

I see your Flash performed really well, so that would make you really happy I'm sure :D I'm going to give my flash a good work out over the next 7 weeks in America.

Dani you were very lucky indeed to catch the morphing process as it was actually happening, I love seeing your shots, I just hope I too can show you some critter shots during my US visit, I have packed every lens I own rolleyes1.gif
    Even packed my Kenko Ext tubes, and my Flash & Diffuser too.

Awwwww boy I may get a chance to find a bug that is not GRAY, BLACK, BROWN, or Plain Old WHITE rolleyes1.gif yeahhhhhhh that would be real nice.........even a pretty butterfly will keep me happy :D

Take Care Dani....... 2 sleeps to go, 2 sleeps to go whooohoooooo!!!!!!! clap.gif
    Skippy (Australia)
    Dani wrote:
    Shedding old skin
    here they are!
    and
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2005
    Very nice. I like series like this where you tell a little story about what happened instead of just posting the images. Maybe ther should be a "Story" Forum?

Nick
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2005
    wow Dani! excellent series! Love the "progress" you captured.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2005
    Since you were there for its "birth" will it now follow you everywhere you go?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    No, but I think it makes Dani it's godmother.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2005
    gluwater wrote:
    No, but I think it makes Dani it's godmother.
    Does this mean I have to buy it birthday and Christmas presents???? :lol
    Dani

The Blog | The Photos
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2005
    Dani wrote:
    Does this mean I have to buy it birthday and Christmas presents???? :lol
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2005
    wow!!!! I didn't expect so many replies!!! Thanks all! Glad they were enjoyed :) I'll just reply to everyone individually in one big honkin post... or something :uhoh
    bfjr wrote:
    Yes very cool series, never seen that myself thumb.gif
    Thanks for posting :D
    Thanks Ben! It seems most people have never seen this event.. which is why I feel blessed to have captured it! Now if I can just catch the thing crawling out of the ground and up onto a stick before it sheds the old skin umph.gif:D
    Great shots and captures Dani, I love the colours on newly emerged adult insects- sort of look like ground glass/jade.

Brian V.
    Thanks Brian! yup he does look like jade doesn't he? (she???) Too bad they don't stay that color... its so much prettier than the drab olive/brown and black they harden too.
    Neat series Dani. thumb.gif Luck to find it, but what you did afterwards was certainly not luck. That 250 is quite impressive!

regards
    alan
    Thanks Alan!!!!!! I sure love my 250D.. great piece of glass for what it is!! I recomend everyone have one lol thumb.gif
    very nice shot dani-it is so rare to catch them in this act and rarer still to have a camera handy-i think this could be a seller.(congratulations on the 'you know what business' too-hope all works out)

greg
    Thanks Greg! on both accounts :Dclap.gif
    A nice story and cool shots. What more could we want?
    hmmmmmm how bout a party!!! well it technically IS his birthday.... so... uhhhh :bday
    :lol rolleyes1.gif

kidding... Thanks marlof

hey you shush up Andy!!!! I'm plenty girlie when I need/want to be rolleyes1.gif :smack :thwak :lol rolleyes1.gif:D
    bug fancying gals are ok in my book -they can put up with just about anything and can rough it -its the ones who are scared of chipping nail polish and messing up the hair that I am wary of....
    Hey thanks greg!!!
    lol... Naw, me likes his woman a bit dirty. Ok, a lot dirty... thumb.gif:D

WTG Dani!!!! Great shots, tack sharp! I knew you'd get great bug macros with your new flash! clap.gif

AJ
    iloveyou.gif :sweet

*goes and gets dirty... oooops.. I mean... thanks AJ :D:D :D:D

lol........ naughty.gif
    They are weird looking bugs those Cicadas, actually last summer was the first time I haven't really heard them, this year I think we have a had a lot more rain so this summer might see a change in things.....the drought did some major damage to the Eco system, we hardly hand any bees either.

I see your Flash performed really well, so that would make you really happy I'm sure :D I'm going to give my flash a good work out over the next 7 weeks in America.

Dani you were very lucky indeed to catch the morphing process as it was actually happening, I love seeing your shots, I just hope I too can show you some critter shots during my US visit, I have packed every lens I own rolleyes1.gif
    Even packed my Kenko Ext tubes, and my Flash & Diffuser too.

Awwwww boy I may get a chance to find a bug that is not GRAY, BLACK, BROWN, or Plain Old WHITE rolleyes1.gif yeahhhhhhh that would be real nice.........even a pretty butterfly will keep me happy :D

Take Care Dani....... 2 sleeps to go, 2 sleeps to go whooohoooooo!!!!!!! clap.gif
    Skippy (Australia)
    yeah Its been horribly dry here this year too... our yard and flowers look like crap!!! :cry

My guess is you get plenty of fantastic photos to share with us!!!
    Very nice. I like series like this where you tell a little story about what happened instead of just posting the images. Maybe ther should be a "Story" Forum?

Nick
    Thanks Nick! always nice to share the story when theres actually one behind it I think :):
    wow Dani! excellent series! Love the "progress" you captured.
    Thanks Phil!!

wow... this is a long reply! Laughing.gifthumb.gif
    Dani

The Blog | The Photos
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2005
    wxwax wrote:

uhmmm.... geez I hope not!!

*looks over shoulder* :uhoh
    Dani

The Blog | The Photos
  • Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2005
    An excellent series of shots Dani. Just goes to show that being aware of your surroundings really pays off. Quite amazing considering a kit lens (I have the same one) with an attachment (250D). Nice job with the exposures. Hope you don't mind me asking, but how many shots did you take for this many keepers. I may shoot several shots from several positions for about 20-30 shots of a bug to get "maybe" 3 keepers if I'm lucky (many times I get 0 keepers). Usually it's my focus or DOF plane that is off. Did you go auto or manual focus?

Thanks for sharing,
    Chris

Also, congrats on your recent acquisition clap.gif. So, has he driven your other love yet (TT)?

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• Options
    edited August 4, 2005
    An excellent series of shots Dani. Just goes to show that being aware of your surroundings really pays off. Quite amazing considering a kit lens (I have the same one) with an attachment (250D). Nice job with the exposures. Hope you don't mind me asking, but how many shots did you take for this many keepers. I may shoot several shots from several positions for about 20-30 shots of a bug to get "maybe" 3 keepers if I'm lucky (many times I get 0 keepers). Usually it's my focus or DOF plane that is off. Did you go auto or manual focus?

Thanks for sharing,
    Chris

Also, congrats on your recent acquisition clap.gif. So, has he driven your other love yet (TT)?
    Thanks Chris!!! I'm not sure but maybe 15-20 shots at the most. Just various positions and angles... they all came out nice and sharp and well exposed though so I just picked a few from the bunch.

I used auto focus

and nope... I offered though!!!!!
    Dani

The Blog | The Photos
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited August 4, 2005
    Fine, fine shots of this noisy lil insect thumb.gifthumb.gif What's even cooler is that you were there to lend a helping hand (or finger, as the case may be....Laughing.gif).

I remember these guys from my childhood in NY and hearing that almost electric buzzing noise they make. We don't see or hear many of them out here on the Left Coast ne_nau.gif

That kit lens did a super job too clap.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2005
    Fine, fine shots of this noisy lil insect thumb.gifthumb.gif What's even cooler is that you were there to lend a helping hand (or finger, as the case may be....Laughing.gif).

I remember these guys from my childhood in NY and hearing that almost electric buzzing noise they make. We don't see or hear many of them out here on the Left Coast ne_nau.gif

That kit lens did a super job too clap.gif

Steve
    Thanks Steve!
    Dani

The Blog | The Photos
  • Options
    Aussie_blueyAussie_bluey Registered Users Posts: 593 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2005
    Very nice macros, I like the series showing the different stages of the wings drying. :D:D:Dclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
    Tim
    :rofl Laugh at life, otherwise you will cry.:rofl
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2005
    Very nice macros, I like the series showing the different stages of the wings drying. :D:D:Dclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
    Tim
    Thanks Tim!
    Dani

The Blog | The Photos
  • Options
    NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2005
    Dani, so nice to see you! Wonderful, fabulous shots! Love the camera I bet! You sure have it all figured out already!thumb.gif Enjoyed your photos tremendously.
    You guys have the coolest bugs.clap.gif