Untitled

bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
edited February 23, 2010 in Street and Documentary
Thanks for the responses. I'm not sure about this one myself. But:
1. Not liking toy guns - or real ones - is not a reason to refrain from taking a photo;

2. This is not set up; I do not set up things. This was shot as I found it, and the camera was even set to shoot square, so what you see is what came out of the camera;

3. The back story - this coat, and the toy gun - have been sitting on this park bench for a good week. Obviously a kid forgot them. The coat and gun have been moved around, have fallen on the ground and been put back on the bench, but...And yes, I realize that you don't know that from looking at the photo. And it may well be that this doesn't work. :wink

794508394_CMdrC-X2.jpg

(Well, I made sure that the correct profile was embedded, and, again, it looks right on my monitor. And it even looks right in the little window we get when we get a link for sharing - but when it goes up on Dgrin, it's wrong. And no, Rutt, it is not my eyes - because my eyes are viewing it on the same monitor when it's on my computer and when it's on Dgrin. Something is shifting when it goes to Dgrin. What, I have no idea. Oh, and I am using Foxfire.)
bd@bdcolenphoto.com
"He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed

Comments

• michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    I don't like it. Then again I don't like guns and it takes me to a place that reminds me of how water guns trivialise weapons in children's minds and how that can evolve into acceptance of guns as a way to resolve conflicts between gangs.

{and can you get rid of that purple? mwink.gif }
  • thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    I'm with Jen on this one B.D. I don't have an aversion to guns but I sure wish the owner of that coat was in the shot. ne_nau.gif

As for the cast, perhaps this blog entry has a clue?
    Travis
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,933 moderator
    edited February 22, 2010
    I like the contrast in color but otherwise, the shot doesn't do much for me.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    Check the enclosed profile before uploading. It does have to be sRGB to work on smugmug.

If that doesn't work, it's time to put your eyes aside and measure with the photoshop eyedropper.
    If not now, when?
  • phillybikeboyphillybikeboy Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    {Question for the technophiles: Viewed on my monitor, prior to uploading, the color's in this shot were absolutely true to what I'd seen and what I shot. But when they landed in SmugMug, there was a mark shift to purple. Thoughts?}

I like the shot.

As for the color shift, I'm guessing you're using Safari for a browser? If so, try it in Firefox or Chrome, and your colors should magically correct themselves.
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    michswiss wrote:
    I don't like it. Then again I don't like guns and it takes me to a place that reminds me of how water guns trivialise weapons in children's minds and how that can evolve into acceptance of guns as a way to resolve conflicts between gangs.

{and can you get rid of that purple? mwink.gif }

I like the shot exactly because that is the message it conveys, at least to me. It reads 'social commentary' on the indoctrination of youth to gun use. I'd like it better in B&W but then the obviousness of it being a toy gun would likely be lost.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    I don't get it. Looks like it was arranged. I don't have a problem with the gun aspect, though. Place anything there and it still looks like an arranged photo.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    Patti wrote:
    I like the shot exactly because that is the message it conveys, at least to me. It reads 'social commentary' on the indoctrination of youth to gun use. I'd like it better in B&W but then the obviousness of it being a toy gun would likely be lost.

As an image, it's not interesting. As social commentary, it is. In that context, it works beautifully. A classic case of one picture is worth a thousand words. A column on this topic would fill inches. As it is, the picture does the job. Still don't like it, or maybe just the implications.
    edited February 22, 2010
    michswiss wrote:
    I don't like it. Then again I don't like guns....

Might I suggest you stay away from Larry Clark's work then.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited February 22, 2010
    My first thought was that I was looking at an image from a high tech scanning device. I think that may be because it didn't occur to me that I was looking at a toy. That idea faded when I noticed that the gun was clearly on top of the jacket, not concealed by it. Then I couldn't figure out what was keeping it in place. Only after I read the edited post with the back-story did I understand. But now I don't care for it much. Interesting...

Oh, on my monitor it looks the same in FF and Safari, and doesn't look purple at all. ne_nau.gif
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    Might I suggest you stay away from Larry Clark's work then.

Some great work, but it does require a strong stomach. mwink.gif
    That said, sitting in my office is a skateboard deck my older son - the skateboard photographer - gave me for Christmas a couple years ago - it features the cover image Larry Clark's "Tulsa."
    yg6y5db
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    squirt gun.jpg

What if you posted b & w without commentary?
  • Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2010
    It is a toy squirt gun on a coat on a bench in a park. Does not work for me.

IMHO, you guys are making way to much out of a toy gun.
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2010
    No it doesn't look purple to me. (FF with color management).

I think it needs a title - eg "Left behind". Puts an opposite spin on it, while still retaining the negative connotations.

The context is somehow difficult to grasp. I first thought the coat and toy were up in a luggage rack, of a bus, or something - the metal slats.

I can imagine a possibly better POV, from low down further to the right, and getting a view of the bench and background (park?) beyond the items. I think more consideration of context/background might have helped this image.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited February 23, 2010
    Mr. Quiet wrote:
    It is a toy squirt gun on a coat on a bench in a park. Does not work for me.
    While I can't say it reached out and smacked me up alongside with the "Great Picture!" stick, I did immediately like it. It's one of those photos that you know will evoke a reaction. If you'll pardon the pun, it's a loaded image. Just look at the reactions. Oh, wait....you have....
    wrote:
    IMHO, you guys are making way to much out of a toy gun.
    You're spot on there, and while I won't even begin to speculate on BD's motives behind the shot, he had to know it would elicit a strong response. You can only put so much into a photo, it's up to the viewer to give it meaning. The thing I really like about this shot is that BD left so much space for the viewer to work with.
    edited February 23, 2010
    While I can't say it reached out and smacked me up alongside with the "Great Picture!" stick, I did immediately like it. It's one of those photos that you know will evoke a reaction. If you'll pardon the pun, it's a loaded image. Just look at the reactions. Oh, wait....you have....

You're spot on there, and while I won't even begin to speculate on BD's motives behind the shot, he had to know it would elicit a strong response. You can only put so much into a photo, it's up to the viewer to give it meaning. The thing I really like about this shot is that BD left so much space for the viewer to work with.

Precisely.
    :D
    Truth be told, I was drawn to the contrasting colors. Period. So I wanted this to be in color because, for me, it is about color. I shot it a number of different ways, both square and tight, and in 4/3 showing bench and park. And rhis is where it ended up. I suppose that if I was thinking about the toy gun at all, I was thinking "kid," as I have no problem with toy guns, having learned years ago with my own kids (very non-violent adults who have nothing to do with guns) that if you don't give them toy guns, they create their own - in my older sons case, that meant taking the thermometer from his toy doctor kit, and sticking it into the toy otoscope to create a toy gun.;_) But I digress and provoke.rolleyes1.gif

So make of this what you will - or won't. As I said to begin with, I'm not sure about it myself.

Oh, and rather than have a debate about guns, I suggest that everyone take a look at Kyle Cassidy's wonderfully provocative photo book, Armed America. And see if you recognize anyone in it.mwink.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2010
    This one simply doesn't work for me.

I knew from the beginning that, because you took it, it wasn't set up (unless it was the ultimate setup to spark discussion!). but it looks like set up - an attempt at an interesting graphic or textural piece. As such, though, I don't think it works.

More to the point, the picture doesn't elicit any emotion in me nor interest in a back story.

That said, having been given the back story, I begin to understand why you might want to take this picture.

To be successful, though, I think that the photographer needed to move back and provide the viewer with more context. Showing something of the park area - just enough to give the sense of objects abandoned, would have helped. It might have reinforced the idea of "kid" as well and lessened the impression that "gun" was the subject. In fact, a series of pictures showing the travels of the coat and toy gun might have been really interesting. Or not!

Virginia

Email
    edited February 23, 2010
    Flyinggina wrote:
    This one simply doesn't work for me.

I knew from the beginning that, because you took it, it wasn't set up (unless it was the ultimate setup to spark discussion!). but it looks like set up - an attempt at an interesting graphic or textural piece. As such, though, I don't think it works.

More to the point, the picture doesn't elicit any emotion in me nor interest in a back story.

That said, having been given the back story, I begin to understand why you might want to take this picture.

To be successful, though, I think that the photographer needed to move back and provide the viewer with more context. Showing something of the park area - just enough to give the sense of objects abandoned, would have helped. It might have reinforced the idea of "kid" as well and lessened the impression that "gun" was the subject. In fact, a series of pictures showing the travels of the coat and toy gun might have been really interesting. Or not!

Virginia

All excellent points. clap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,933 moderator
    edited February 23, 2010
    I recognize that to some, guns are an important topic but let's keep the discussion focused on photography.

Thanks,
    Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2010
    Oh, and rather than have a debate about guns, I suggest that everyone take a look at Kyle Cassidy's wonderfully provocative photo book, Armed America. And see if you recognize anyone in it.mwink.gif __________________
    B. D.

Very interesting.......thanks for posting this.

(other comments deleted) :D

Sam
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2010
    I don't know B. D. , I just don't know ne_nau.gifrolleyes1.gif

I know everyone knows this but just feel compelled to say

Camera/Gun/Gun/Camera, both are simply tools and needed ones.
    Depending on their perceived use, they are either coveted or reviled.
    Both tools thru time have held both monikers.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2010