Indoor Filters

choudhrysaabchoudhrysaab Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
edited February 23, 2010 in Technique
I'm wondering if there's such thing as "indoor filters"? So far what I've read mostly about filters is that they're for outdoor photography as in ND, LP, UV filter etc. I'm thinking of getting involved in small projects for indoor photography, be it a birthday, wedding etc. So is there a type of filter you would recommend I must have for shooting pictures indoors???

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited February 22, 2010
    I never thought of filters as on out of doors device only, but practically speaking, I have never used a screw in filter in doors now that I think of it.

NDs can be used in doors for long exposures with ambient light of course. Just like out doors.

Polarized filters are used in copy work sometimes in conjunction with polarized filters on the lights to eliminate any glare from the surface of an oil painting for instance.

Colored filters can be used as well. Folks used to use yellow filters to shot daylight film under tungsten lighting, but today you just adjust the dial on your white balance wheel.

Most filters used indoors are gels, on our strobes to alter the color of the light as needed for effect or white balance flash and tungsten or fluorescent lights.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • choudhrysaabchoudhrysaab Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2010
    Thank you for your input pathfinder!!!