wireless SB900 would not flash when pointed at camera

babygodzillababygodzilla Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
edited February 23, 2010 in Technique
so i was just playing around with a wireless SB900 with an SB800 as the master. I had my friend, who was sitting directly in front of me, hold the SB900 in her hands and point it directly at the camera. we were separated by the width of the table, maybe about a foot or so. i hit the shutter, and the SB900 would not flash. I thought "OK maybe the sensor did not see the master or something." So I flipped it over every which way, to no avail... No idea what I did wrong. Batteries are fine. When I held the flash in my own hands and held it camera left or right, it worked fine.

Anyone can explain what I did wrong?

Thanks

Comments

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    so i was just playing around with a wireless SB900 with an SB800 as the master. I had my friend, who was sitting directly in front of me, hold the SB900 in her hands and point it directly at the camera. we were separated by the width of the table, maybe about a foot or so. i hit the shutter, and the SB900 would not flash. I thought "OK maybe the sensor did not see the master or something." So I flipped it over every which way, to no avail... No idea what I did wrong. Batteries are fine. When I held the flash in my own hands and held it camera left or right, it worked fine.

Anyone can explain what I did wrong?

Thanks

Set the slave and the master to Manual, and report back~ In iTTL, it is probably sensing a problem, hence no flash~
    tom wise
  • babygodzillababygodzilla Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    i'll give that a try later. what problem could it possibly be?
  • kd2kd2 Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    By any chance, did your friend inadvertently have her finger over the sensor?
    ~Kathy
    Success Coach, Motivational Speaker, Professional Photographer
    "Enriching Lives through Images and Inspiration"
    www.kathleendavenport.com

• Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    What is the camera?

Did it work when the SB800 & SB900 were not facing each other?

Did it work with the built-in flash set as commander (assuming the camera has BIF)?

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • babygodzillababygodzilla Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    kd2 wrote:
    By any chance, did your friend inadvertently have her finger over the sensor?

so I just tried the same setup as last night here at home... and it worked... ne_nau.gif

i am not sure why. same SB800 commander, same SB900 slave. same distance and direction.

not sure about her finger on the sensor. Like i said we turned it every which way and it still didn't fire, but that doesn't prove anything i suppose. where IS the sensor?
  • kd2kd2 Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010

not sure about her finger on the sensor. Like i said we turned it every which way and it still didn't fire, but that doesn't prove anything i suppose. where IS the sensor?

I'm not sure where it is on the SB900 (I have a couple of SB800s, and on those the little red sensor is on the right hand side). Whenever I have a problem with one of them not going off, the first thing I check is if my assistant hand her hand or a finger covering the sensor.
    ~Kathy
    Success Coach, Motivational Speaker, Professional Photographer
    "Enriching Lives through Images and Inspiration"
    www.kathleendavenport.com

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    good to hear that it is now working as I had my SB 900 on top of a Stroboframe flash bracket approx 13 inches above cam and in bright day light and it would flash with out problem..........the little sensor is a small red round window on the right side of the flash near the bottom, right below the battery compartment door hinge.......it would be very easy to conceal with a hand or finger..............................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• kevinpwkevinpw Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2010
    Art Scott wrote:
    good to hear that it is now working as I had my SB 900 on top of a Stroboframe flash bracket approx 13 inches above cam and in bright day light and it would flash with out problem..........the little sensor is a small red round window on the right side of the flash near the bottom, right below the battery compartment door hinge.......it would be very easy to conceal with a hand or finger..............................

thanks for that info, thats good to know. i will remember that next time!