- Post your Lightning Photos -

2»

Comments

• Options
    jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2005
    A Few of Mine (Lots of Pics)
    Howdy All,

Hey Phil, thanks for the link to my site. :) Unfortunately here in Dallas this year, we haven't had many storms that produced good lightning. It seems like every time I go out of town, there is an excellent one, though. ne_nau.gif

Here's a few of mine from the last few years. Some were taken with my old F707, some with my 10D:

11565516-M.jpg

11565529-M.jpg

11565532-M.jpg

11601985-M.jpg

11726625-M.jpg

11726630-M.jpg

11726631-M.jpg

31675951-M.jpg

towersoflight.jpg

windowlightning.jpg

James
  • Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2005
    jamesl wrote:
    Howdy All,

Hey Phil, thanks for the link to my site. :)

Yea man, love those shots...
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2005
    Great stuff James and welcome to dgrin. Any technical tidbits for us lighting noobs.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2005
    jamesl wrote:
    Howdy All,

Hey Phil, thanks for the link to my site. :) Unfortunately here in Dallas this year, we haven't had many storms that produced good lightning. It seems like every time I go out of town, there is an excellent one, though. ne_nau.gif

Here's a few of mine from the last few years. Some were taken with my old F707, some with my 10D:

James
    James,

Those are truely amazing. Thank you so much for posting them! You have some great stuff there. Welcome to dgrin!
  • Options
    ajgauthierajgauthier Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2005
    spectacular lightning photos - WOW!

I wish I had the guts to go do lightning photos...I tried once here in Tucson as a storm was approaching and I wimped out!

awesome lightning photos all, awesome lightning photos...

Adrienne
  • Options
    jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2005
    How to Shoot Lightning
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Great stuff James and welcome to dgrin. Any technical tidbits for us lighting noobs.
    Thanks for all the comments folks. :): Here's a few suggestions for shooting lightning:

1) Include an interesting forground/background for your shot. I actually scout out and note locations ahead of time in a notebook of what I think would be a good spot. Buildings, skylines, silhouettes of tress and mountains all make great forgrounds.

2) Use Doppler radar to plan ahead. Certain types of storms are better than others. Small, isolated cells are easy to photograph, while large rainy areas are very difficult due to the reduced visibility from the rain.

3) Shoot lightning as the storms are moving away from you. Typically, the better lightning will be on the backside of the storm as it moves away. This is why planning ahead using the radar is important. This is also safer. thumb.gif Be sure to pay attention to what other storms are doing around you. Safety is always my main concern. Storms can build up behind you quickly while you are focussing on what is happening in front. :uhoh

4) Try to find a safe location to shoot. I like to shoot from the mid levels of parking garages (not the top), as you stay out of the rain and lightning.

5) Use a sturdy tripod. I also use Mirror Lockup on my 10d. The vibration from the mirror can blur some of the brighter lights in a scene when shooting buildings. Make sure you lock your tripod down good and tight.

6) Determine the proper exposure to expose the scene without the lightning in it. This will give you dramatic pictures, as the lightning will blend into the scene well. Take a few practice shot and examine using the LCD and Histogram. Remember that in the histogram, any nightime scene is going to be wayyyy over on the left. This is normal, as most of the scene is going to be at around -2 to -1. Don't try to expose the scene for the middle of the histogram, as you'll blow out the sky and highlights.

7) Determine your aperature by how far away the lightning is. If it is close and very bright, shoot at F8 to F10. If further away, maybe F4 to F5.6. Sometimes, if the lightning is faint, I will raise my ISO. Just depends on the situation.

8) With my 10D, I have a remote intervalometer that repeatedly takes the picture for me. I like to setup my 10d on one scene where there is lightning, and then repeatedly shoot that scene. Later, in software, I can combine several lightning shots into one since I haven't moved the camera.

Well, that's about all I can think of now. :)

James
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2005
    jamesl wrote:
    4) Try to find a safe location to shoot. I like to shoot from the mid levels of parking garages (not the top), as you stay out of the rain and lightning.
    Excellent tips, James! And of all of them, this is the very best. If you can see lighting, you can be hit by lightning.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Excellent tips, James! And of all of them, this is the very best. If you can see lighting, you can be hit by lightning.

That's why you're the Hall of Wisdom guy.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2005
    BAH !! Thats what makes it fun...the sharp tang of ozone in the air...the hair on your neck standing verticle.
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    BAH !! Thats what makes it fun...the sharp tang of ozone in the air...the hair on your neck standing verticle.
    ...Them smell of cooked vegemite.... :D
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2005
    Another storm.
    We had another storm here Sunday night. This one was one of the most impressive electrical storms I think I've ever seen.

Here are some attempts at capturing it:

32407704-M.jpg

32407724-M.jpg

32407747-M.jpg

32407755-M.jpg

32407771-M.jpg

The rest of the series is here.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2005
    Very nice AN thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Very nice AN thumb.gif
    Thanks, H. I've seen the shot you posted, and was quite impressed. It's hard to resist when nature gives such a show, eh?
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2005
    aero-nut wrote:
    Thanks, H. I've seen the shot you posted, and was quite impressed. It's hard to resist when nature gives such a show, eh?
    Yep...i can feel it getting hotter now. Cant wait for the storms to start.Im just going to throw caution to the wind this year & take my chances...no hiding this time round.
  • Options
    drdesignsdrdesigns Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited August 18, 2005
    Here's one I took at the Outer Banks. Technically not very good, but I shot it in pitch dark and just lucked out on the timing. Some of the other shots are amazing! Dani - I loved your story about standing outside in your pj's. Great picture!

32576538-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2005
    drdesigns wrote:
    Here's one I took at the Outer Banks. Technically not very good, but I shot it in pitch dark and just lucked out on the timing. Some of the other shots are amazing! Dani - I loved your story about standing outside in your pj's. Great picture!

Wow...that's cool seeing it hit the water. Nice shot! Thanks for posting it.
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2005
    Last night we caucht the edge of the thunder storms, that affected most of the UK yesterday. The red lights in the center are the TV mast, I was hoping for a strike on it but got one either side instead

34307373-L.jpg

F/8 30 sec

Cheers
    Stan
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2005
    Stan wrote:
    Last night we caucht the edge of the thunder storms, that affected most of the UK yesterday. The red lights in the center are the TV mast, I was hoping for a strike on it but got one either side instead

F/8 30 sec

Cheers
    Stan
    Nice catch stan...you would think that a massive earth rod going straight up into the sky screaming 'come get me' would be the icing on the cake for a bolt like that.headscratch.gifne_nau.gif

Proves my point to myself...its a game of chance & impossible to predict.

People say dont stand under a tree...well if im in a lightning storms path with 100 000 trees in front of it...why would my lump of flesh make the tree im under a better potential.

Here you photographed an almost purpose built lightning conductor & the +ive charge builds up under it & lets rip from beside it on flat ground not up through it ..totally random.
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2005
    I sent the pic to the weather station, I thought they might like the idea of them still broadcasting and being immune to lightning.

I reckon if you are on a plain (Paddock) and it is slinging it down with rain in a thunder storm and there is one 400 year old oak tree for shelter, go and stand under it, if it hasn't been hit in 400 years, what are the chances... ne_nau.gif
    But I prefer my Land Rover, it works well as a Faraday Cage.

Cheers
    Stan
  • Options
    ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2006
    Those first two photos: Look at the area above the cloud tops, zoom in, do all kinds of editing. You never know.

Taking distant shots of thunderstorms like that sometimes captures those elusive JETS and SPRITES--lightening phenomena that shoots off into space
    (one is red and the other is blue. I forget which color is which).

aero-nut wrote:
    We had a really impressive thunderstorm in the desert here recently... At one point it averaged 2-3 strikes per second. Luckily the storm was about 50 miles away when I took these pics. Most of these were 1-2 min exposures at an ISO of 400 or 800 to capture multiple quick flashes. Because of that you can see some artifacts of the noise reduction I had to put them through...

Thought I would post some anyway...

30620844-M.jpg

30620847-M.jpg

30620849-M.jpg

30620850-M.jpg

30620851-M.jpg

30620853-M.jpg

Anyone have some lightning pics they'd like to share?
    Steve-o