Just wanted to share!

topcat374topcat374 Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
edited February 25, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
C&C always welcome:)

4380213772_88e993ec70_b.jpg

4380215646_feae51fdec_b.jpg
More practice needed but learning all the time!:rofl

Nikon D50, 18mm-55mm, 55mm-200mm, 50mm f/1.8, SB800, LowePro Slingshot 200AW and other bits!

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    I like the color version much better. The dramatic, stark lighting on certain elements shows much stronger and the ominous sky comes through with much more impact, IMO. Very good shot.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • topcat374topcat374 Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    I like the color version much better. The dramatic, stark lighting on certain elements shows much stronger and the ominous sky comes through with much more impact, IMO. Very good shot.

Tom

That means a lot, Tom - thank you:) I pass this church every night on my way home and have thought that it would make a good subject for a while. It really tested my 'manual' skills too! I think this may be a subject I keep going back to!

Nikon D50, 18mm-55mm, 55mm-200mm, 50mm f/1.8, SB800, LowePro Slingshot 200AW and other bits!
  • Quzol1Quzol1 Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2010
    I like the color one better also. Just some thoughts about your image. I don't know if you tried different angles with this or not. I would have tried getting the camera lower. So the drooping red flowers were more prominent. Also cropping out (in camera) the left head stone (with the yellow flowers) & the headstones in the right lower right corner. I could see the red flowers as the center of interest in the lower left area of the image. I would also play with the depth of field and maybe throw the church building (background) out of focus.
  • dsloandsloan Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2010
    i agree with the others. a lower angle would add greater depth to the image. try it out and post it up!
    D300s : Nikkor 35 f/1.8 : Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 : Sigma 85 f/1.4
    won't you like me on facebook?
  • rcofrcof Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2010
    Well, just to be contrary, I like the B&W image. I especially like the red roses on the grave.thumb.gif The only thing better might be to shot it in Infrared,:photo but that's just me. Lovely scene.
    edited February 25, 2010
    rcof wrote:
    Well, just to be contrary, I like the B&W image. I especially like the red roses on the grave.thumb.gif The only thing better might be to shot it in Infrared,:photo but that's just me. Lovely scene.

Hmmm - infrared - never done that (not even sure if my D50 can!) but I guess this can be achieved in pp? Thanks for comment - especially with a vote for the underdog:D

edited February 25, 2010
    Quzol1 wrote:
    I like the color one better also. Just some thoughts about your image. I don't know if you tried different angles with this or not. I would have tried getting the camera lower. So the drooping red flowers were more prominent. Also cropping out (in camera) the left head stone (with the yellow flowers) & the headstones in the right lower right corner. I could see the red flowers as the center of interest in the lower left area of the image. I would also play with the depth of field and maybe throw the church building (background) out of focus.
    dsloan wrote:
    i agree with the others. a lower angle would add greater depth to the image. try it out and post it up!.

Thanks for comments:) Can't wait to go back and try this out now (if only it would stop raining!!!). I did try a couple of different angles but was so intent on taking a picture of the church that I didn't really focus on much else. I moved from a full frame shot of the church (square on) to this angle as I liked the light on the head stones which were only in profile on the first pics I took. Really like the idea of getting even lower and throwing the church out of focus a little too. Thanks again - will re-post as soon as the rain stops!!!