Hijras Performing at wedding

Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
edited February 26, 2010 in Street and Documentary
Hijra or people belonging to 3rd gender. They walk around in team to explore people celebrating weddings, birthdays, child births etc and sing songs, play music and perform dance to earn some money.

795262068_D8Y5h-L.jpg
The collect money during performance.
795261985_CAPRv-L.jpg

I shot these photos when hijras entered our home and start performing during my bro's wedding.
Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery

Comments

• bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2010
    Always a pleasure to view your work.
    and these are no exception thumb.gif
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2010
    Fascinating.

I like #2 the best - love the way the face of one is framed by the arms of the other.

Virginia

Email
  • NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2010
    Both fantastic shots!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2010
    Hijra or people belonging to 3rd gender. They walk around in team to explore people celebrating weddings, birthdays, child births etc and sing songs, play music and perform dance to earn some money.

I shot these photos when hijras entered our home and start performing during my bro's wedding.

These are both wonderful shots, Awais - the first for the boys, the second for the composition and expressions. However, these provide a great example of photos the definitely need captions if you want us to know what's really going on in them. I'm not quite sure what you mean by third gender - are they cross-dressing heterosexuals, gay cross-dressers, or transgenders? - but there's no way to know from the photos that they are not women. So if we are not to just view these are intriguing visuals - which is fine, because they definitely work - we need caption information, which you did give us. clap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Lesley BrayLesley Bray Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2010
    I love your work Awais - these are very interesting shots !
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2010
    Both are excellent shots with much to look at and enjoy. The boys in the first looking in captures their interest so well. I assume they are neighborhood kids hanging out and want to peek in at the best show around. The second is fun because of the background woman looking so excited to have the money in her hand.

Thanks for sharing!
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    These are both wonderful shots, Awais - the first for the boys, the second for the composition and expressions. However, these provide a great example of photos the definitely need captions if you want us to know what's really going on in them. I'm not quite sure what you mean by third gender - are they cross-dressing heterosexuals, gay cross-dressers, or transgenders? - but there's no way to know from the photos that they are not women. So if we are not to just view these are intriguing visuals - which is fine, because they definitely work - we need caption information, which you did give us. clap.gifclap.gif

Thanks BD, they are transgenders. Read recent news about them here
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2010
    The second stands out for me. Great use of framing.
    If not now, when?