Attempts

KerrBearKerrBear Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
edited February 26, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Got a new camera I'm just learning how to use. I am a total novice so any suggestions on how to make these shots better would be appreciated.

4382097115_20a570c8d0_o.jpg

4382097095_eef46bb6da_o.jpg

4382097047_cc3f11c139_o.jpg

4382858000_9e4d061a67_o.jpg

Comments

• TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2010
    These are misplaced in this forum. When you are new to something it helps to first look for, and read, the guidelines for submissions. In this case, the guidelines are in Richard's "Sticky", and it reads:

[Q] This forum is dedicated to the urban scene. In addition to photojournalism and traditional street photography, spontaneous shots depicting urban life belong here--even if no people are shown. It is not meant for skylines or urban panoramas, though; vistas should still be posted in the Landscapes forum. Street scenes and candids, back alleys, graffiti, dimly lit bars, etc., all may be posted here. So get out there and remember to look both ways before shooting. [/Q]

The second thing you should do is browse the other posts to see what type of things get posted and commented on here. That will give you an idea of "street" photography is all about.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2010
    I think what Tony is trying to say is that you will get better feedback in another forum. I would try Other Cool Shots, which is a catch-all. :D

Welcome! wings.gif
  • KerrBearKerrBear Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:
    These are misplaced in this forum. When you are new to something it helps to first look for, and read, the guidelines for submissions. In this case, the guidelines are in Richard's "Sticky", and it reads:

[Q] This forum is dedicated to the urban scene. In addition to photojournalism and traditional street photography, spontaneous shots depicting urban life belong here--even if no people are shown. It is not meant for skylines or urban panoramas, though; vistas should still be posted in the Landscapes forum. Street scenes and candids, back alleys, graffiti, dimly lit bars, etc., all may be posted here. So get out there and remember to look both ways before shooting. [/Q]

The second thing you should do is browse the other posts to see what type of things get posted and commented on here. That will give you an idea of "street" photography is all about.

The bike rack doesn't count?
    edited February 24, 2010
    WhatSheSaw wrote:
    I think what Tony is trying to say is that you will get better feedback in another forum. I would try Other Cool Shots, which is a catch-all. :D

Welcome! wings.gif

Can the mod move this for me to Other Cool Shots then?
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited February 24, 2010
    KerrBear wrote:
    Can the mod move this for me to Other Cool Shots then?

Hi there and welcome to Dgrin wave.gif. I moved the thread for you. You'll get the feel of things before long, I'm sure. Dgrin is a great place to learn.

Of the shots you posted, I like #1 the best. I think it could have been improved if the lamp wasn't centered in the frame. You could probably apply the same advice to #2. deal.gif
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2010
    Welcome to Dgrin. The best advice I can offer at this point is to do some reading relative to the rules of composition. In your case, as Richard eluded to, your subjects are all basically centered in the frame. Obviously, there are times when a centered subject is best, most of the time that's not the case.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited February 24, 2010
    Molsondog wrote:
    Welcome to the forum. Most of the folks here are helpful and kind. Tony's a grump mwink.gif. But he's working on that with a little help from BD.

Is this the Grimm House? It looks like it.

Just for grins, try shooting when the sun is not so high. Most of these photos will look quite different in the sweet light of dawn or dusk (except the lamp post which is great as is by the way).

Spend some time perusing the various parts of Dgrin. Everyone was a beginner once and many of the folks here have grown thru the years to be excellent photographers. Ask questions, post photos and enjoy the banter.

Thank you for the feedback. I'm probably going to reattempt the shots of this buildings as well as try some others that are nearby. This is actually one of the buildings at my university.
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2010
    Molsondog wrote:
    Welcome to the forum. Most of the folks here are helpful and kind. Tony's a grump mwink.gif. But he's working on that with a little help from BD.
    Grumpy I may be, but I have saved a rising young photographer from the rough neighborhood of "Streets & PJ" and delivered him to the warm fuzziness of "Other Cool Shots". Up in "Streets" he might have abandoned photography thinking it was all about thread titles, personalities, and other factors not necessarily related to the actual photograph being presented.

In "Other Cool Shots", people might actually comment on the photograph itself and offer suggestions or tips on how to improve. If he says "I took this photograph on a snowy day", he won't be confused by someone saying "Don't tell me it was snowing. Let me figure it out for myself". He can present a photograph of a tree he happens to like the shape of and not have someone ask what the story of the tree is. He can post color images and not feel that he's riding the short bus of photography.

Don't get me wrong. I like the "Street" forum. I like the type of photography that is in the genre. I respect the opinions of some of the regulars there. But, it's a tough crowd. A new-to-the-forums poster could get discouraged there.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    Nicely said Tony. Have to appreciate that. :D
    Michael
  • RoadkillRoadkill Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    DaddyO wrote:
    Nicely said Tony. Have to appreciate that. :D

Ditto :D
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    Hi KerrBear and welcome to dgrin :D

I like your 1st photo too, but agree it's a little to centered. You could always recrop it.

Looking forward to seeing other photos you take. Enjoy .. it's a wonderful hobby wings.gif
    edited February 25, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:
    Grumpy I may be, but I have saved a rising young photographer from the rough neighborhood of "Streets & PJ" and delivered him to the warm fuzziness of "Other Cool Shots". Up in "Streets" he might have abandoned photography thinking it was all about thread titles, personalities, and other factors not necessarily related to the actual photograph being presented.

In "Other Cool Shots", people might actually comment on the photograph itself and offer suggestions or tips on how to improve. If he says "I took this photograph on a snowy day", he won't be confused by someone saying "Don't tell me it was snowing. Let me figure it out for myself". He can present a photograph of a tree he happens to like the shape of and not have someone ask what the story of the tree is. He can post color images and not feel that he's riding the short bus of photography.

Don't get me wrong. I like the "Street" forum. I like the type of photography that is in the genre. I respect the opinions of some of the regulars there. But, it's a tough crowd. A new-to-the-forums poster could get discouraged there.

Laughing.gif. Shortbus of photography. rolleyes1.gifI don't like riding the shortbus much. I'm hoping to learn some useful stuff on Dgrin. I really enjoy photography and I'm interested in learning "Street." Thanks for the pointers.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited February 26, 2010
    KerrBear wrote:
    I really enjoy photography and I'm interested in learning "Street." Thanks for the pointers.
    Check out the sticky at the top of the Street & PJ forum for some useful tips and tutorials. Tony's right that it gets a little rough out there sometimes, but hey, what do you expect on the street? lol3.gif
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:

Oh I laughed so hard when I read this.
    Hey I had to learn the hard way! There was a couple of times where I laid on the ground in the fetal position sucking my thumb after a brutal yet honest reply on Street. :)

Welcome KerrBerr.
    You already got some great advice-the one that really worked for me was the one about not centering things--it improved my shots so much.

Can't wait til you get your feet wet and start posting more, looking forward to it.
    Liz A.
    _________