Options

Utah/Northern Arizona trip

cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
edited February 23, 2010 in Location, Location, Location!
I'm thanking DGrinners in advance because I have already picked up a ton of information on this area from this forum. Anyway, it looks like I will be spending 10 days in the Southwest in September along with my parents (both in their late 60s). It really isn't a photography trip per say but since I'm planning it I've tried to hit the photographic hotspots while still making it enjoyable for my parents (because of this trip I won't be able to attend the shootout in the fall - my parents have already been to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons). They are both physically in pretty good shape, walk a lot, and love the outdoors. To be on the safe side I wasn't planning any walks/hikes longer than about 3 miles roundtrip rated relatively easy. I figured I'd do sunrises on my own if they didn't want to get up that early. That being said, below is my initial draft itinerary. I'm on the East Coast and am used to being able to drive to my location, make a home base and then vacation out of that one spot. It appears that this trip will be much different, driving from location to location with a different overnight each night. I'd like input on if you think this itinerary is feasible and will give us enough time to enjoy our trip without being on the road constantly. Here goes:

Day 1: Arrive Las Vegas, NV drive to Zion (sunset at Zion -?? where to photograph sunset), overnight Zion

Day 2: Zion - activites in Zion for Days 1-3: Riverside Walk (a little into the Narrows depending on my parents), Emerald Pools, Rim shuttle ride, overnight Zion

Day 3: Sunrise at Zion (good place for sunrise??), see above, then head to Bryce Canyon, ?? where to photograph sunset at Bryce (?? Sunset Point), activities at Bryce on Day 3 & 4 - Sunset Point, Sunrise Point, Inspiration Point, Rainbow Point, ?? any easy hikes into the canyon, overnight Bryce

Day 4 Sunrise at Bryce (?? where to photograph - Sunrise Point) then drive to Page, AZ, overnight Page

Day 5 & Day 6 Page - ?? activities/locations include: Glen Canyon Dam tour for Dad, kayak trip on Lake Powell for Mom, Antelope Canyon photographer tour for me, Horseshoe Bend, Vermillion Cliffs, Toadstools, the Wave (I'm going to put in for the lottery I figure if I get a permit, I'll post here and maybe a DGrinner or 2 can join me), overnight Page

Day 7 Day trip to Monument Valley, overnight Page

Day 8 Sunrise in Page (?? is Horseshoe Bend better at sunrise or sunset), then drive to Grand Canyon North Rim, overnight at Kaibab Lodge or in Jacob Lake

Day 9 Head back to Las Vegas

Day 10 Depart for East Coast

I'm so excited and its 6 months away:ivar :ivar

Stephanie