'Street', attempt.

D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
edited February 26, 2010 in Street and Documentary
28735410b6b8441588bed81a21ba087c

Minimalistic post work; WB adjustment, resized and sharpened, slight crop.

Comments

• D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2010
    Working on crop possibilities....

c568babe251b4a44b281bf3fc496cbcc
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited February 24, 2010
    The crop is better. The only thing that makes this rise above a banal shot of traffic is the face of the kid in the rear window. The more you can bring that out, the better, but it's going to be an uphill climb since the face and hand are really small. Maybe some creative B&W conversion could help tone down the strong yellow of the bus. ne_nau.gif
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2010
    D'Buggs wrote:

Here we go!
    BUS.jpg
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
    edited February 24, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    Here we go!
    BUS.jpg

Well lewky there!!!!!

I knew I had sumthin',,,, just couldn't envision it. rolleyes1.gif

Thanks, BD. I didn't even try converting it - I got "shtuck" on the contrast of colours once I opened the file... Shot it this morn, on my way into the office.
    edited February 25, 2010
    D'Buggs wrote:
    Well lewky there!!!!!

I knew I had sumthin',,,, just couldn't envision it. rolleyes1.gif

Thanks, BD. I didn't even try converting it - I got "shtuck" on the contrast of colours once I opened the file... Shot it this morn, on my way into the office.

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

edited February 25, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Hey, I sincerely THANK-YOU for holding my hand through this.

I haven't yet reposted the final because I'm *trying* to find a crop now, that's original too me.... Not looking good; I think you flippin' NAILED it and that square IS the way to go.

Do you mind me stealing your 'idea' and applying it to my own conversion? It'd look nice on the wall.... mwink.gif

FWIW; I applaude your devotion as a mentor. I know it ain't easy and can QUICKLY consume-up a life.
    edited February 25, 2010
    D'Buggs wrote:
    Hey, I sincerely THANK-YOU for holding my hand through this.

I haven't yet reposted the final because I'm *trying* to find a crop now, that's original too me.... Not looking good; I think you flippin' NAILED it and that square IS the way to go.

Do you mind me stealing your 'idea' and applying it to my own conversion? It'd look nice on the wall.... mwink.gif

FWIW; I applaude your devotion as a mentor. I know it ain't easy and can QUICKLY consume-up a life.

You're too kind...:D And of course you can do whatever you want to do...if I objected to people following suggestions, there wouldn't be much point in...making suggestions.rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    You're too kind...:D And of course you can do whatever you want to do...if I objected to people following suggestions, there wouldn't be much point in...making suggestions.rolleyes1.gif
    Ok, I am now offically encouraged to post. :D

Also I concur with D'Buggs note...
    " FWIW; I applaude your devotion as a mentor. I know it ain't easy and can QUICKLY consume-up a life."
    though I prefer consume one heck of a lot of ones focus.
    Michael
    edited February 25, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:

Thanks, BD. beer.gif

I've spent considerable time 'fussing' with it and what ever I came up with, your solution clearly stood on its own. I've tried tighter but with this result, as is, we're losing a good 50% of res and I want a 'decent' 8x8 wall-hanger.

I also tried straightening the horizontal and it 'seemed' to lose its dynamic - It'll stay skewed.

So WTS,,,,,,,, it feels more like yours than mine and perhaps I should've held on to it for a spell before posting, to see where I'd have gone w/ it. ne_nau.gif

Do you do autographs? :D

d4173502870e493c9d4ebe12cd959a03

Extended crit's still welcomed, by all or anyone. thumb.gif
    edited February 25, 2010
    DaddyO wrote:
    ....though I prefer consume one heck of a lot of ones focus.

It's all good..... Sometimes I just like too, *consume*. :slurp :slosh

Then LOSE focus. :lol4
    edited February 25, 2010
    D'Buggs wrote:
    Thanks, BD. beer.gif

I've spent considerable time 'fussing' with it and what ever I came up with, your solution clearly stood on its own. I've tried tighter but with this result, as is, we're losing a good 50% of res and I want a 'decent' 8x8 wall-hanger.

I also tried straightening the horizontal and it 'seemed' to lose its dynamic - It'll stay skewed.

So WTS,,,,,,,, it feels more like yours than mine and perhaps I should've held on to it for a spell before posting, to see where I'd have gone w/ it. ne_nau.gif

Extended crit's still welcomed, by all or anyone. thumb.gif

Hey, it's yours - just think of me as your printer. :-) Have you ever watched "War Photographer," the documentary about James Nachtwey? (Do if you haven't) There's a terrific sequence in it in which he is working with a printer. rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

edited February 25, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:

Hey, it's yours - just think of me as your printer. :-) Have you ever watched "War Photographer," the documentary about James Nachtwey? (Do if you haven't) There's a terrific sequence in it in which he is working with a printer. rolleyes1.gif

If I have, it wasn't knowingly - Would this be something available from our Public Library (Vancouver, Canada)?
    edited February 25, 2010
    D'Buggs wrote:
    It's all good..... Sometimes I just like too, *consume*. :slurp :slosh

Then LOSE focus. :lol4

"It's all good" :giggle
    Reminds me of the Bruce Almighty scene which will forever stay
    deeply etched on some wall in my head. I've lost focus enough
    times to lose track of just where that wall is. :D
    Michael
    edited February 26, 2010
    D'Buggs wrote:
    If I have, it wasn't knowingly - Would this be something available from our Public Library (Vancouver, Canada)?

Here's a link to it on Amazon - I wouldn't be surprised if it's in your public library - it was nominated for an Academy Award.
    http://tinyurl.com/ytegnt
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

edited February 26, 2010
    :D I think that your suggestion to view this documentary has caused a bit of
    a run on this video as provided from our local library. Not available for several weeks now. rolleyes1.gif
    Michael
    edited February 26, 2010
    I watched some clips on YouTube - No, I have definitely not seen this and I will seek it out.

BD, I was bumping through your website, last night and found myself quite amazed at the range of what your work has been as a photographer. Talk about 'gamuts' and 'spectrums'...

I also noticed that you were awarded the Pulitzer Prize; What did you do to garner that kind of attention?
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2010
    It took me a while to see, but the bus picture is cute. B.D. was right to convert so that the yellow bus would be less distracting from the subtle but cute subject.
    If not now, when?
    edited February 26, 2010
    DaddyO wrote:
    :D I think that your suggestion to view this documentary has caused a bit of
    a run on this video as provided from our local library. Not available for several weeks now. rolleyes1.gif

I just finished scrambling our Library's networt; there's 2 copies available and the wait is aprox,,,,,,,,, 2 MONTHS! rolleyes1.gif

I'll check out local vendors/retailers......
    edited February 26, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    It took me a while to see, but the bus picture is cute. B.D. was right to convert so that the yellow bus would be less distracting from the subtle but cute subject.

Thanks, rutt.

The picture holds a lot of competing 'distractions', such as; bright lights. In my rendition, I tried to bring up the levels in the hand in order for it to compete, with hope of keeping the viewer engaged in what/why is that hand there, thus then reading deeper into the image.... If that hand wasn't there, I don't think we'd have much of a capture. ne_nau.gif

I also struggle with; to do, or, not to do, anything with tone on those same said lights... Do I bring 'em down and let the hand be the clear winner, or should I leave it, as is, and force the viewer to make the decision - Clearly, I went for the "Puzzle Maker". rolleyes1.gif

Like you said, "it took a while"; did you feel forced in finding the subject or did the exploration seem engaging and natural?

Thanks again, for your crit. thumb.gif