Options

My Nikon's here!!!

DavidoffDavidoff Registered Users Posts: 409 Major grins
edited August 8, 2005 in Cameras
Yesterday, finally, after 9 hours of battery charging I took my first dSLR shot!
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

My D70s's here. No more excuses :rofl
Thanks to everyone that helped me choose, and thanks to everyone who will help me use it better :clap.

Just one thing, on a video I have on the D70, the custom menu has a lot more options than the ones I can find in my cam. Only 9 on the csm menu.
Off to some more shooting around the house :thumb

Comments

• Options
    fishlipsfishlips Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited August 4, 2005
    i don't have mine with me at the moment, but i remember thinking the same thing when reading something online about the menu options. there is a menu option you have to turn on or off to get the additional options elswhere.

i'll double check this and post again unless someone else can shed some light in the meantime.
    phil

my pictures live here. well, eventually they all will.
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2005
    Thanks fishlips, I got it now, you gotta go to the set up menu and turn on the "detailed" option in the custom menu instead of the default simple.
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2005
    Congrats! Have fun with your Nikon, and post some pictures from it ASAP. :D
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    the.digital.guythe.digital.guy Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 6, 2005
    Davidoff wrote:
    Yesterday, finally, after 9 hours of battery charging I took my first dSLR shot!
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

My D70s's here. No more excuses rolleyes1.gif
    Thanks to everyone that helped me choose, and thanks to everyone who will help me use it better clap.gif.

Just one thing, on a video I have on the D70, the custom menu has a lot more options than the ones I can find in my cam. Only 9 on the csm menu.
    Off to some more shooting around the house thumb.gif
    Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

.................but......................

I really think you should have looked at Canon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2005
    Congrats and excellent choice thumb.gif

So let's some piccies :D
  • Options
    XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2005
    bfjr wrote:
    Congrats and excellent choice thumb.gif

So let's some piccies :D

Indeed, it has been 3 days, where are the pics eek7.gif
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2005
    Indeed, I've just been testing it around the house and only yesterday I had a chance to shoot something of real interest. Anyway, thanks to all who congratulated me.
    Digital guy: believe me, I looked extensively at all cameras rolleyes1.gif
    Moving on, I love this camera, insanely fast, control, no delays, bokeh... you know thumb.gif
    I shot almost a hundred nef's yesterday, so, I'll sort some out for you as I go throug the ones I like best, no pp, besides a bit of sharpeninng and resizing( I also shot a lot of people who wouldn't want to appear online or are underage, so, landscapes will be what you'll be seeing for a bit :-) :
    firefly-reflections.jpg
    ( spot the firefly :D )

tubestrees.jpg
    I do have a few questions, when I started shooting yesterday, I had already shot probably 400 pictures, many with flash, but it still showed a full battery, I had been warned about this, and all the way to about 5 pm it was full, then it lost a litlle bit, , but very quickly it was totally drained, and I only managed to shoot 2 or 3 pics by taking it out and putting it in... when I first charged it it was on for about 9 and 1/2 hours, was it enough? ( I'm not complaining about the batt life, just making sure ).
    With the kit lens, in autoforcus mode, is it ok to manually override without switching to manual ( on the lens or on the camera itself ) ?
    Are the very edges of the ( awsome ) viewfinder supposed to be slightly blurry ?
    I have a really old ( at least 20 years ) nikon E series 50mm manual focus lens. Is it ok to use these? I konw metering won't be there, nor will AF. It has an apperture ring... does this mean I have to shoot in manual or apperture priority modes only?
  • Options
    zigzagzigzag Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2005
    Davidoff wrote:
    ...I do have a few questions, when I started shooting yesterday, I had already shot probably 400 pictures, many with flash, but it still showed a full battery, I had been warned about this, and all the way to about 5 pm it was full, then it lost a litlle bit, , but very quickly it was totally drained, and I only managed to shoot 2 or 3 pics by taking it out and putting it in... when I first charged it it was on for about 9 and 1/2 hours, was it enough? ( I'm not complaining about the batt life, just making sure ).
    With the kit lens, in autoforcus mode, is it ok to manually override without switching to manual ( on the lens or on the camera itself ) ?
    Are the very edges of the ( awsome ) viewfinder supposed to be slightly blurry ?
    I have a really old ( at least 20 years ) nikon E series 50mm manual focus lens. Is it ok to use these? I konw metering won't be there, nor will AF. It has an apperture ring... does this mean I have to shoot in manual or apperture priority modes only?
    My battery took only a couple hours to charge up the first time (D70, not 70s, but the s model is supposed to have a bigger battery). I have the same well-documented problem of the battery dying within a few shots.

The kit lens is AF-S and may be adjusted in manual without switching the switch.

Don't know about the viewfinder - haven't noticed it in mine, but I'm not the type that would notice :D

As far as the lens is concerned, I'm sure it is OK to use it, and that manual mode would work all right. Other more experienced users might be able to give more detailed advice.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2005
    "My battery took only a couple hours to charge up the first time (D70, not 70s, but the s model is supposed to have a bigger battery). I have the same well-documented problem of the battery dying within a few shots."

Well, I was aware of that, it stoped blinking within a couple of hours, but I read that the first charge should be overnight, so I let it stay there.

"The kit lens is AF-S and may be adjusted in manual without switching the switch."

OK, thanks.
  • Options
    XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2005
    The battery will literary be full full full EMPTY. however I have bought 1 extra battery ($9.95 eBay) and I don't look back.

XO,
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2005
    How long was your first charge? By the way, what does the blinking 0 in the exposure compensation bar in the viewfinder mean ?