Help: Video Question

sidepocketsidepocket Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
edited February 26, 2010 in Technique
I'm going on a trip this weekend and I plan on taking some video with my new 7D. My question is this--if I plan on shooting in both 720p (60fps) and 1080p, should I shoot my 1080p footage at 24fps or 30fps?

I want to use the 720p 60fps during action sequences so I can slow it down and make it look nice, but I also want the high resolution of 1080p at times. I always hear about how 24fps is more "cinematic" aka "nicer?", but I'm not sure.

For what it's worth, I plan on using Final Cut Pro to edit the footage together as a 1080p video. Any suggestions?

-Steve

Comments

• tijosephtijoseph Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    I constantly combine 720 60p footage from a gopro camera with 1080p 30p from my mark 2.

I would recommend going with the 30 fps.

I use final cut pro and the videos turn out great. The 60p is definitely great for slow mo shots.

just drag a 1080p clip to the timeline first and it will conform to those standards.

Good luck.
  • toddbtoddb Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2010
    matter of taste
    Definitely the 60fps if you're going to want to be slowing video down. I agree on the 30fps as my first choice. The 24 fps may technically be the more 'cinematic' option, but unless you really know what you're doing with video or have a definite look in mind it might just leave you a little disappointed. Shoot 30 or 60 and you'll be happy.

Play around with all options before you go. Don't just shoot, but ingest and try to edit with them and you may quickly decide what you like best.