edited February 25, 2010
    But it works.
    If not now, when?
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    damonff wrote:
    me1.jpg

Sorry...a tad self-indulgent...

Cool! Very!clap.gif And if we can't be self-indulgent here, where can we be? rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    …so, where were you focusing?

…you were focusing??

…and what about the framing?

oh never mind…

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    Wil Davis wrote:
    …so, where were you focusing?

…you were focusing??

…and what about the framing?

oh never mind…

- Wil

This comment made me laugh out loud. Damon is one of the very few of us who has managed to learn the rules well enough to break them in surprising ways to advantage.
    If not now, when?
    edited February 25, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    This comment made me laugh out loud. Damon is one of the very few of us who has managed to learn the rules well enough to break them in surprising ways to advantage.

Well, I'm sure you're absolutely right…

rolleyes1.gif

- Wil
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited February 25, 2010
    rutt wrote:

OK, so this may be a learning opportunity for me. I loved the quirky composition of this pic, but like Wil, I was bothered that nothing at all is in focus. Why is that concern laughable? Would this really be a worse pic if, say, the eye or the front of the lens were sharp? Would you have said the same thing if a n00b had posted the exact same image? headscratch.gif
    edited February 25, 2010
    I'm sorry, I didn't make myself clear. Like Will, I've looked at a lot of Damon's shots and said, "I don't get it." Why did he frame the shot to cut off her nose? Why not show the people and not just their legs? Why the picture of the cast iron thingee in the snow?

Why I laughed is that I empathize with Will. But I've learned over time that if I just live with Damon's shots for a little while they always grow on me. I always find the answer to the question of why the rule was broken. It always makes sense in the end. When I haven't thought so, I've turned out to be wrong.

So I'm sorry I came out sounding snide. I just recognize myself in the criticism and remember that I've learned to question my own first impressions. That's what makes looking at Damon's shots so interesting.
    If not now, when?
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    Well, Damon's avatar looks sharp!

This is a neat photo. The photographer fading into the mist while watching all the time waiting for his shot.

Don't we all feel this way sometimes?

Virginia

Email
    edited February 26, 2010
    Thelonious Sphere Monk was once described as one of the very few musicians to have found "the secret of the right mistake"…

I've yet to find any photographer (living or dead) who has found the photographic equivalent…

thumb.gif

- Wil
    edited February 26, 2010
    Oh, I love Monk! But I wouldn't describe his music that way. I think he knew just what he was doing and knew just which rules he was breaking and why. There have been some recent biographies of him that support that view (I didn't read but heard the authors book touring on NPR.)

A friend of mine said something about Monk which I agree with more: Once you hear it, you can't unhear it. That's probably true of lots of the greats.

Look, I wasn't really trying to say anything so high faluting about Damon. It's just that he seems to put a lot of thought into the shots he shows and it's been easy for me to miss the point unless I look long and hard and maybe look again.

Virginia's critique verbalized the kind of thought that seems often to be required by Damon's shots. I can think of a couple of examples where I really missed the point, most recently this one.
    If not now, when?
    edited February 26, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    …I think he knew just what he was doing and knew just which rules he was breaking and why.…[/URL]

Precisely: "the secret of the right mistake"

thumb.gif

- Wil
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2010
    Hi All,

To make it clear (haha), I was shooting through one of those three-way shaving mirrors. This shot was the second bounce, so me, reflected into another mirror, and me again. I shot about 10 frames, but this one was the only one that lined up my eye over the camera that way, like I was creeping for a shot - of myself. Anyway, thanks for the commentary. I appreciate it.