Cairo backstreet

Chollie2Chollie2 Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
edited February 25, 2010 in Street and Documentary
My first post with D-Grin. If no pic appears, will some kind soul tell me how to accomplish such a difficult task? :D
The photograph I intend to post:
Wandering Cairo's back streets, I saw this boy and his donkey-pulled cart, with colorful balloons attached. There was a thin sliver of light coming in from the left, so I waited until he crossed it.
Time for one shot only.

Comments

• KianKian Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2010
    nice! its like you had a spotlight on this guy. IMO it would be better if the donkey's head was in too though :D
    Visit my smugsite: http://kian.smugmug.com
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2010
    Welcome to DGrin!

Excellent timing for an interesting shot. Might I suggest that you consider a square crop, so that the top portion is cropped out. That will maintain the street environment while emphasizing the main subject better.

Looking forward to more posts from you!
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    Morning Charlie,

Well seen and captured, I love that bright spotlight highlighting the colors of the Balloons and the Salesman.

Welcome to Dgrin, look forward to seeing more of your images.

Very nicely done.

Kindest Regards,

Craig
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Chollie2Chollie2 Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    Kian wrote:
    nice! its like you had a spotlight on this guy. IMO it would be better if the donkey's head was in too though :D

I agree about the donkey's head. I was so intent on getting the shaft of light at the right moment that I didn't even notice the animal's head. Until later.
    Charlie
  • Chollie2Chollie2 Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    rainbow wrote:
    Welcome to DGrin!

Excellent timing for an interesting shot. Might I suggest that you consider a square crop, so that the top portion is cropped out. That will maintain the street environment while emphasizing the main subject better.

Looking forward to more posts from you!

I go back and forth on the crop question.
    I agree with you; it would make a stronger photograph.
    And yet... all that confusion at the top of the pic helps tell the overall story. I posted it this way because my goals are mostly documentary.
    But I might be wrong here.
    Charlie
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    Chollie2 wrote:
    And yet... all that confusion at the top of the pic helps tell the overall story. I posted it this way because my goals are mostly documentary.
    Charlie

Never right or wrong -- just whether one meets your intent better.

But be careful about trying to tell too much -- often the simpler story with the stronger photograph will capture interest and thus educate more than if you tried to include the larger story. It is always a question of how much to include and where too much or too little occur. (And one reply will say "too much" and the next will say "too little".)

In revisiting your photo, there may be more story at ground level in the shadows. The details there (like the covered woman) hint at more. Have you tried boosting the shadow detail and compared the result? And like the crop suggestion, it is your choice though the suggestion will hopefully get you to consider things that were hidden initially.
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    Chollie2 wrote:
    Charlie

Don't crop the top.rolleyes1.gif That part of the scene definitely contributes to the image. Yes, it would be nice to have the donkey's head. But donkey heads are a dime a dozen - light like that is worth a million.clap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    Hi and welcome to dgrin :D

I like this photo -- The light puts a strong presence on the boys face and singles him out in the hustle of city life.

As for cropping...its totally up to you. I like it "as is".

Looking forward to seeing more of your photos :D