Options

???? on copyright name

woellerdwoellerd Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
edited February 26, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
Could someone please tell me if it makes a difference which you use for your copyright image. Should you use your business name or personal name.

Examples:
Copyright spiffyneatphotos 2010
or
Copyright John Doe 2010

The above example assumes that you have registered your business as Spiffyneatphotos
Thanks for any advice.
Dave Woeller

My Galleries: DWPhotoworks

My Blog Page: DWPhotoworksblog

Become a fan: DWPhotoworksfan

Comments

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    I'd like to add, if anyone can also point a link to a definitive explanation of copyright law that would be much appreciated. I'd love to have PDF or a book about this stuff.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2010
    Hi Bill, There's a sticky at the top of the mind your business forum on photographers resources that has quite a bit of useful info on law, copyright, and other subjects, but I couldn't find the answer to my specific question. Hopefully someone will provide an answer or link that will help us both __________________
    Dave Woeller
    Dave Woeller

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    Bill,

Buy a couple of shopping carts loaded with groceries, stock up on fire wood,
    Google "Copyright Law", and settle in for the winter.

Sam
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 25, 2010
    Dave:

The purpose of copyright is to identify and protect ownership of a creative work and to afford the owner the legal right to defend his work against theft or misuse.

Only a legal entity may take legal action against another party. There are (for the purposes of this discussion) only two types of legal entities - persons and corporations.

A corporation can own copyright to a creative work but says nothing about the original artist.

Unless your business is incorporated there is no further discussion because a DBA would not / can not own copyright nor would you want it to.

If your business is incorporated you still want to copyright under your own name because once you transfer copyright to the corporation you no longer own the work which would be a great loss should the corporation be dissolved.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    Angelo wrote:
    Dave:

The purpose of copyright is to identify and protect ownership of a creative work and to afford the owner the legal right to defend his work against theft or misuse.

Only a legal entity may take legal action against another party. There are (for the purposes of this discussion) only two types of legal entities - persons and corporations.

A corporation can own copyright to a creative work but says nothing about the original artist.

Unless your business is incorporated there is no further discussion because a DBA would not / can not own copyright nor would you want it to.

If your business is incorporated you still want to copyright under your own name because once you transfer copyright to the corporation you no longer own the work which would be a great loss should the corporation be dissolved.

EXACTLY 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000% CORRECT:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    fredjclausfredjclaus Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    This is so true. I would definately copyright under my own name. I am the photographer who took the image, and my business is the "agent" who is selling the image on my behalf. As was stated before a DBA can not own a copyright, as a DBA is just you under a different name.

If you copyright the image under a corporation name, you own it so long as your are the majority stockholder in your corporation. Individuals do NOT own a corporation, stockholders do. You also give up control of the image to whomever you authorize to represent the corporation.

All images are copyrighted by the photographer the moment they are taken, however in order for you to take legal action against a person for copyright infrindgment you need to have filed a copyright with the Library of Congress. There are old ways of copyrighting the image such as mailing a copy to yourself and not opening it, since the postmark could represent the copyright date. This however is not as legal as registering.
    Fred J Claus
    Commercial Photographer
    http://www.FredJClaus.com
    http://www.Fredjclaus.com/originals

Save on your own SmugMug account. Just enter Coupon code i2J0HIOcEElwI at checkout
  • Options
    takeflightphototakeflightphoto Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    fredjclaus wrote:
    There are old ways of copyrighting the image such as mailing a copy to yourself and not opening it, since the postmark could represent the copyright date.

One of the greatest urban myths of all time. Totally indefensible, then and now.

Believe me, it happened to me as a 20 year old songwriter. Given, it was only a commercial, and not the song of the century, but the Federal court as much as laughed at the whole thing. Initial fees and residuals from the commercial may have paid for college. Registration was available then, as now, but I went the cheap route and sent it to myself.

On the same vein, a (c), date, and your name is only giving notice. Without registration, you'd have a long haul in court proving it.

Always register your intellectual property if you fear being knocked off. You can copy a hard drive's worth of images to a DVD and register the whole thing as a collection. The paperwork, fee, and effort is worth it if you have images worth protecting.
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2010
    Thank you everyone, this is exactly the info I needed.
    Dave Woeller