Maine Lighthouse and PP

hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
edited February 25, 2010 in Landscapes
I've gone back to some pictures from about 5 months ago to take a new look at my processing techniques. I'm trying to get a new take on the way I do skies and waves. I could use some C&C on this and maybe some general discussion on how others handle processing of this type.

I used some filtering techniques to increase the detail in the sky and waves. The filter I used seems to give it extra punch which I think I like (if I haven't gone too far).

Waves of this type often get whited out with loss of detail. They aren't blown out just the luminance is all bunched up. Similar filtering technique to bring out the details without making it look artificial (I hope).

Here is my example.

796759729_bYnxV-L.jpg

You can see other examples in the same area in this gallery.

I applied a high pass filter to the sky with an overlay blending. Similar technique to the waves.

Comments, critiques and discussion openly encouraged.

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    Very nice Tom thumb.gif That's a really good composition imo.

I've been re-processing my Maine shots as well, using the new Aperture 3.wings.gif

Dan
  • DeeCajunDeeCajun Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    Your photos always make me miss the East Coast

It's a great photo! I love the mix of the soft running water along with the splash... Howd you do that?
    headscratch.gif
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    dlplumer wrote:
    Very nice Tom thumb.gif That's a really good composition imo.

I've been re-processing my Maine shots as well, using the new Aperture 3.wings.gif

Dan

Thanks Dan. This is just Lightroom and Photoshop.
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    DeeCajun wrote:
    Your photos always make me miss the East Coast

It's a great photo! I love the mix of the soft running water along with the splash... Howd you do that?
    headscratch.gif

No pictures were composited in the making on this picture.:D

If you look at the bottom right, there is a fairly deep crack in the rocks. When the waves roll in they splash on the shallower area in front then flow into the crack. Using a wide angle lens has it's drawbacks. You tend to get really close. When I got the picture as the wave rolled in I checked to see how close the water came. Looking down I was ankle deep in 50 deg seawater.

Thanks for the comments.