Inner Coast in Black & White

Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
edited February 25, 2010 in Landscapes
Went to our inner coast the other day...a tidal estuary called Great Bay. Late afternoon, just before sundown.

I hoped for a good sunset, but alas it wasn't meant to be, but the scene was pretty damn good anyway. I like how that little island balances the composition in the absence of a colorful sky and keeps the eye from falling off the edge. Originally I was about 3' to the left when framing this, but had to move due to the rising tide. B&W conversion & contrast boost.

796906895_pgrMA-XL.jpg

This huge oak is in a losing battle with the eroding shoreline, but it's still strong enough to have borne this photographer down to the beach (the large branch to the left is about 6-feet off the ground). It and the boulder look like they've been there since the beginning of time. Square crop and some additional grain cooked into the B&W conversion.

796906852_A4i4q-XL.jpg

I took this shot about an hour before the one above and you can sort of see how much lower the water was as this tree is the one that sticks out the farthest over the water in that photo. I was standing just before the point of land which quickly flooded.

Anyway...thoughts? Comments? Effusive praise?? :rofl