Snow flake series

jsquerijsqueri Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
edited March 10, 2010 in Holy Macro
First try at snow flakes and it was as tough as I'd thought. Here are a few I thought worked.

797073663_qwffF-L.jpg

797073583_xZkNp-L.jpg

797073504_JTETC-L.jpg

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2010
    Not bad- they are difficult !
    Brian V.
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited February 26, 2010
  • jsquerijsqueri Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2010
    Thanks, guys.

It's funny, I can get a frameable shot of my moving and screaming and fussing 18 mo old without even trying hard, but a 1/16" piece of ice sitting on a branch takes 30 exposures and all my patience. rolleyes1.gif
  • ritewingerritewinger Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    I like these.thumb.gif I have tried shooting snowflakes a few times and failed miserably....bowdown.gif
    edited March 2, 2010
    Hey thanks,

It took me a while to get the hang of it. I really needed to find teh right flake and then be sure to get the lens perpendicular to it or part would be out of focus.

Hopefully I don't have another chance to practice this season. I'm ready to start shooting bugs and flowers again.
  • JimWJimW Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    John,

I checked out your interesting galleries and noted your nature series by season and snowflake attempts, so I thought you might be interested in knowing about the work of Wilson Bentley, in case you don’t already.

The Snowflake Man, written by Duncan Blanchard, published by McDonald & Woodward, is a remarkable story of a man who spent his life studying nature and the science of water and the beauty and science of snow crystals. Along the way, he was ridiculed and derided, even by his own father, yet eventually became known as a scientist whose contributions were way ahead of his time especially in the area of cloud physics, and every year we all see his snowflake photos on tons of Christmas cards. He coined the phrase “No two snowflakes are alike.”

Jim

I don't want the cheese, I just want to get out of the trap.

http://www.jimwhitakerphotography.com/
    edited March 8, 2010
    Thanks for the references, Jim. I'll have to read up on how he got the flakes to the velvet with out melting (nevermind how he captured them with technology form a century ago!)
  • deb22deb22 Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2010
    Thanks for all the interesting info Jim,I love learning little tidbits as I read all the threads.
    JimW wrote:
    John,

I checked out your interesting galleries and noted your nature series by season and snowflake attempts, so I thought you might be interested in knowing about the work of Wilson Bentley, in case you don’t already.

The Snowflake Man, written by Duncan Blanchard, published by McDonald & Woodward, is a remarkable story of a man who spent his life studying nature and the science of water and the beauty and science of snow crystals. Along the way, he was ridiculed and derided, even by his own father, yet eventually became known as a scientist whose contributions were way ahead of his time especially in the area of cloud physics, and every year we all see his snowflake photos on tons of Christmas cards. He coined the phr“No two snowflakes are alike.”

Jim
    COUNTRY ROADS ARE NATURES HIGHWAY. http://dafontainewildlife.com