The Royal Palm

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited March 1, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Hi all,
Got a chance to enjoy South Beach last week and came away with some shots I like. This is one of them.
Comments appreciated.

797148557_PbHUY-XL.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    Cool! It looks so 50s!
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2010
    Very nice, Liz. South Beach is quite a place. This shot brings back memories for me.....my very first car was a 1955 Chevy.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2010
    Fun shot Liz,

Lots of memorabilia going on here.
    Randy
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2010
    WhatSheSaw wrote:
    Cool! It looks so 50s!

Hi WhatSheSaw,

With that car and that hotel, well I tried my best to process it to look like something from the 50's--I gave it a slight sepia tint. I'm glad you like it.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited February 26, 2010
    Very nice, Liz. South Beach is quite a place. This shot brings back memories for me.....my very first car was a 1955 Chevy.

Tom

Was it yellow:)

I was taking shots when a guy in an ugly truck parked right in front of that beautiful car--this was the best shot of the bunch.

South Beach is the place! Love going there.
    I tried my hand at another gorgeous car--but I don't have the eye for car shots and it was more of an unintentional self-portrait on the headlightsrolleyes1.gif ---
    Maybe next time.

Glad it brought back some nice memories for you Tom.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited February 26, 2010
    rwells wrote:
    Fun shot Liz,

Lots of memorabilia going on here.

Thanks Randy,
    It was a whole lot of fun trying to get some of these shots--between my son skateboarding away and my two year old scrambling out of her stroller, it made for a hectic day of shooting--but I did have fun.

Thanks for commenting.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2010
    Nice shot of a neat building. There is another building that has a murel painted on the side of it that looks like an archway and the street goes straight through it, but the street actually turns to the left to go around the building. You only see it if your heading north. I'm surprised that no one got a shot of that, unless it's no longer there. I know it was there back in the late 80's when I lived not to far from there. I used to live about 4 blocks from Hialeah Park/race track. They filmed a portion of the park (the pink flamingos) for the opening of the TV show Miami Vice, if anyone remembers that. Also there was an episode where there was a fight in a chinese resturant, which was filmed across the street from where I worked. That was fun to watch!

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    Cool shot, LIZZ......... thumb.gifazzaro
  • alexfalexf Registered Users Posts: 436 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    Very nice!
    I love shooting the Royal Palm and similar old Art-Deco places.
    AlexFeldsteinPhotography.com
    Nikon D700, D300, D80 and assorted glass, old and new.
    edited March 1, 2010
    BroPhoto wrote:
    Nice shot of a neat building. There is another building that has a murel painted on the side of it that looks like an archway and the street goes straight through it, but the street actually turns to the left to go around the building. You only see it if your heading north. I'm surprised that no one got a shot of that, unless it's no longer there. I know it was there back in the late 80's when I lived not to far from there. I used to live about 4 blocks from Hialeah Park/race track. They filmed a portion of the park (the pink flamingos) for the opening of the TV show Miami Vice, if anyone remembers that. Also there was an episode where there was a fight in a chinese resturant, which was filmed across the street from where I worked. That was fun to watch!

GaryB

Hi Gary--
    I usually go down there once a year--and I'm not familiar with this building and mural---I will look into it for my next visit though.

I can see why they film so many things in South Beach--it's beautiful and hoping! An exciting, yet relaxing place, not an easy feat.

Thanks for commenting.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited March 1, 2010
    alexf wrote:
    Very nice!
    I love shooting the Royal Palm and similar old Art-Deco places.

With buildings like that with that kind of architecture, I thought it woudl be a breeze, but I was sadly mistaken.
    I don't use a tripod ever--so it's hard to get level shots--which is key.
    Also I have not yet developed an eye for structures--I wanted tighter crops and well they just didn't work--

I hope by next year that I will have more experience under my belt and be able to do better with that beautiful buildings.

Glad you liked this shot.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited March 1, 2010
    Azzaro wrote:
    Cool shot, LIZZ......... thumb.gifazzaro

Thanks Azzaro :)
    Liz A.
    _________
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    Howdy Lizz,

Really looks like a beautiful and fun place to shoot,

a very nostalgic shot, really gives that vintage look

and feel.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
    edited March 1, 2010
    Panther wrote:
    Howdy Lizz,

Really looks like a beautiful and fun place to shoot,

a very nostalgic shot, really gives that vintage look

and feel.

Thank you Craig :D .
    Was working on making it more vintage-looking--but I tend to go overboard--so glad I quit while I was ahead.
    Liz A.
    _________