white backdrop critique

toddbtoddb Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
edited February 26, 2010 in People
Borrowed a white backdrop for a video shoot I'm doing and since I had it set up I decided to play around with some stills...so I sweet-talked my oldest to hop in front of the backdrop for a couple minutes...just looking for some dgrin community critique of the work. Thoughts? Thanks in advance for your time.

797198345_DDF3t-L.jpg

Comments

• Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2010
    What a cutie! Seems fine to me, all-be-it a bit soft on the focus.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2010
    The good:
    • 15524779-Ti.gif - what a cutie!
    • Really like the light/shadows on her face. The light placement and quality appears to be very well done.

The Not-So-Good:
    • I think she may have been a bit too close the background. There appears to be a bit of light wrapping around her hear - but that could just be the light from the background shining through her hair.
    • It's quite soft. Don't know if it's mis-focus or poor lens. I suspect the former as the aperture was 6.3 and most lenses will do a very good job when stopped down to that extent. It's really nice when you can get the eyes (eye lashes) in sharp focus.
    • There's considerable noise in the image. Since this was shot at ISO 400 with a 7D, I'm suspecting that it was under-exposed and then pushed in post?
    In all, I think this is a good start. Do you have ... did you use anything in the way of a flash/ambient light meter? Using such will make it much easier to get the exposure "correct".
  • toddbtoddb Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2010
    thanks
    The Not-So-Good:
    • I think she may have been a bit too close the background. There appears to be a bit of light wrapping around her hear - but that could just be the light from the background shining through her hair.
    • It's quite soft. Don't know if it's mis-focus or poor lens. I suspect the former as the aperture was 6.3 and most lenses will do a very good job when stopped down to that extent. It's really nice when you can get the eyes (eye lashes) in sharp focus.
    • There's considerable noise in the image. Since this was shot at ISO 400 with a 7D, I'm suspecting that it was under-exposed and then pushed in post?
    In all, I think this is a good start. Do you have ... did you use anything in the way of a flash/ambient light meter? Using such will make it much easier to get the exposure "correct".[/QUOTE]

thanks for the thoughts guys! She was about 5 feet in front of the backdrop, but I didn't use anything to flag the lights I was hammering the backdrop with so she is probably just catching spill from those. Think the softness is mis-focus...been having trouble getting anything sharp with my 7d --- I can and have, but not as consistently as I use to get with my old Nikon D50 so I'm thinking amateur-error and just need to get better with it. The lens is just the kit lens that comes with it.

Appreciate the critiques -- really want to get better with this stuff and this is the best way.
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2010
    Many trouble w/ nailing the bd, 'just right'.

You NAILED this.