Bleeped

TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
edited February 27, 2010 in Street and Documentary
I can't use the title I wanted, but it involved the word "tat".

797071029_jXQs8-XL.jpg

Taken at the tailgate party before tonight's Jimmy Buffet concert.
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited February 26, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:

rolleyes1.gif
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:

797071029_jXQs8-XL.jpg

Taken at the tailgate party before tonight's Jimmy Buffet concert.

You know what Tony, all this wonderful image needs is - "Seen at a Jimmy Buffet concert." rolleyes1.gif It's a very funny shot, well seen, and well executed. But calling it "Bleeped" frankly suggests something completely different from what it is. headscratch.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    You know what Tony, all this wonderful image needs is - "Seen at a Jimmy Buffet concert." rolleyes1.gif It's a very funny shot, well seen, and well executed. But calling it "Bleeped" frankly suggests something completely different from what it is. headscratch.gif
    It should suggest something completely different. I explained that in the text about the choice of title. I'm sure that, if you think about it, you can figure out the title that I was tempted to use but didn't think it would get by the censors. Bleeped out, as they say. (The lady is getting a temporary tattoo, and "tat" is slang for a tattoo)

I frankly don't care if my title choices put people off of my photography. Photography, and posting in this forum, is something I do for amusement and entertainment. Getting all hung up on the seriousness of title choice is just not something I'm going to do.

I also included in the text (at the bottom) that the shot was taken at the tailgate party before the Jimmy Buffet concert here last night. At the bottom so all of you who like to figure out "the story" on your own could look at the image first.
  • phillybikeboyphillybikeboy Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited February 26, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:

Okay, how about Tattoos for Tattas?

Nice catch. The hand with the dollar bill is a particularly subtle touch.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2010
    well done......
    thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:
    It should suggest something completely different. I explained that in the text about the choice of title. I'm sure that, if you think about it, you can figure out the title that I was tempted to use but didn't think it would get by the censors. Bleeped out, as they say. (The lady is getting a temporary tattoo, and "tat" is slang for a tattoo)

Do you think it would have been censored or do you know? What title were you planning on using? Did it include Tat, Tattoo, breast or tits and ass? It's an ok image, but it consistently feels like you are making jokes out of your photography. I'd prefer to enjoy your images without confronting the entry humour.
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2010
    That can't be her real HAIR ! rolleyes1.gif

Is this another title Thread ne_nau.gif
  • thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2010
    bfjr wrote:
    Is this another title Thread ne_nau.gif
    What were the 'appropriate reply' guidelines again? If there's an image, there's the possibility of a title discussion. Get used to it.
    michswiss wrote:
    I'd prefer to enjoy your images without confronting the entry humour.
    I agree.
    TonyCooper wrote:
    I frankly don't care if my title choices put people off of my photography.
    Then you'll kindly forgive us for not stopping. We, frankly, don't care what you think about what we think about your titles.
    Travis
  • jsquerijsqueri Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2010
    The lady is getting a temporary tattoo, and "tat" is slang for a tattoo

Ha, When you said it involved the word tat, I thought you meant tat as in TIT for tat. Which actually makes sense too.rolleyes1.gif
    edited February 26, 2010
    Lighten up, everyone. You may or may not appreciate Tony's humorous intent, but it's really not worth a big discussion.
    edited February 26, 2010
    michswiss wrote:
    Do you think it would have been censored or do you know? What title were you planning on using? Did it include Tat, Tattoo, breast or tits and ass? It's an ok image, but it consistently feels like you are making jokes out of your photography. I'd prefer to enjoy your images without confronting the entry humour.
    No, I did not literally believe that a title of "Tit for Tat" would have been censored. I just don't think it would have been appropriate to use it as a title.

As far as making jokes about my photography, I'm afraid I'll have to disappoint you. As I've said before, I regard photography as an enjoyable hobby and I'm not about to start taking it so seriously that I pass up a humorous photo, title, or text line to be considered a proper photographer.

What I do take seriously is the presentation of a photo. I compose, edit, and choose my photos with care. Not all may agree with my choices, but - hey! - I don't always agree with theirs either.

If you don't like a sly touch of humor, then don't open this photo I took and doctored a bit last year:

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Photography/Miscellanea/RLT-End-of-the-Road-TonyCooper/595831791_NidV6-XL.jpg
    edited February 26, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:
    If you don't like a sly touch of humor, then don't open this photo I took and doctored a bit last year:

Well, of course I opened it and had a good chuckle.

Don't think of elephants.
    edited February 26, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:

I frankly don't care if my title choices put people off of my photography. Photography, and posting in this forum, is something I do for amusement and entertainment. Getting all hung up on the seriousness of title choice is just not something I'm going to do.

I also included in the text (at the bottom) that the shot was taken at the tailgate party before the Jimmy Buffet concert here last night. At the bottom so all of you who like to figure out "the story" on your own could look at the image first.

Well, one, Bleeped does not suggest tats for tits, which is what I assume was the title you were afraid to post.rolleyes1.gif But what I can't figure out is why such 'cuteness,' obscure or otherwise, is necessary - particularly when you have a good photo. Again, "Bleeped" suggests "screwed," or a cruder version of that, not something relating to tattoos or breasts.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

edited February 26, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:
    No, I did not literally believe that a title of "Tit for Tat" would have been censored. I just don't think it would have been appropriate to use it as a title.

As far as making jokes about my photography, I'm afraid I'll have to disappoint you. As I've said before, I regard photography as an enjoyable hobby and I'm not about to start taking it so seriously that I pass up a humorous photo, title, or text line to be considered a proper photographer.

What I do take seriously is the presentation of a photo. I compose, edit, and choose my photos with care. Not all may agree with my choices, but - hey! - I don't always agree with theirs either.

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Photography/Miscellanea/RLT-End-of-the-Road-TonyCooper/595831791_NidV6-XL.jpg

Very amusing...

But you know what? Given that you're going to do what you're going to do, and given your earlier comments about their being "no bad photographs," I'm not going to waste my time or yours any more commenting on your work. So just keep knocking yourself out.clap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

edited February 26, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    Very amusing...

But you know what? Given that you're going to do what you're going to do, and given your earlier comments about their being "no bad photographs," I'm not going to waste my time or yours any more commenting on your work. So just keep knocking yourself out.clap.gifclap.gif

If you, Toth, and Michswiss, feel that the top priorities in deciding which photographs to view and comment on are the titles and poker-arsed seriousness of the submitters, then - by all means - you should ignore my contributions. It seems strange - in a forum devoted to photography - to feel that this type of control is appropriate, but that is certainly y'all's decision to make.
  • thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:
    If you, Toth, and Michswiss, feel that the top priorities in deciding which photographs to view and comment on are the titles and poker-arsed seriousness of the submitters, then - by all means - you should ignore my contributions. It seems strange - in a forum devoted to photography - to feel that this type of control is appropriate, but that is certainly y'all's decision to make.
    I think you, which seems to be a pattern, are missing the point. We have not, to date, ignored your photographs because we didn't agree with you. Rather, we offered our own critiques where we felt they were applicable. When your shots didn't work for us, we said so. When your titles didn't work for us, we said so. When your use of selective color didn't work for us, we said so. When anything at all didn't work for us, we said so. And, when things did work, we said that too.

Everyone here, I believe, has their head and heart in the right place when commenting on photographs. Nobody here, though, agrees on precisely what it takes to make a great shot. Further, nobody agrees on how to properly present that shot to the public. It's all important and I see no reason why all of it cannot fit into our conversations.

You seem to have a huge chip on your shoulder, Tony. Nobody here is out to get you and everyone here wants to see you produce quality work. It's a shame that you can't see that you will never get the same definition of quality from each and every one of us. I'm guessing nobody would wash their hands of you if they felt as though you gave a damn about the time they spent with your offerings.
    Travis
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2010
    I'm glad I have followed this thread. It serves as a positive reinforcement for why I have elected to visit this forum very sparingly. I don't think I've ever seen a small group of people so permeated with hypocrisy and embellished with such a bloated sense of self-righteousness.

The majority of folks who frequent this forum are open-minded, happy to see a diversity of offerings, and tolerant of other's style, titles, and individual proclivities. But there's an element here who fancy themselves as being the keeper of the gate. If someone dares to transgress this group's perceived avenue to success, then they are almost summarily maligned.

You should, Tony, encourage each and every one of that small group, as one has done, to vow to never again comment on your work.
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited February 27, 2010
    I don't think I've ever seen a small group of people so permeated with hypocrisy and embellished with such a bloated sense of self-righteousness.

Name calling, even collectively, is bad manners and is against Dgrin rules. You should know better, Tom.

Sorry guys, I really, really hate to play nanny but this thread is getting totally out of control. I'm not going to shut it down, but let this serve as a warning. Behave yourselves. Talk about photography. Discuss meta-issues if you like. But no more insults, explicit or implied, individual or collective. I will delete any further posts of this sort. This ends now.