Q about Nikon AI lens on Canon EOS

craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
edited February 28, 2010 in Cameras
I've been hearing for years that with a suitable mount adapter, you can use Nikon manual-focus lenses on Canon EOS cameras. In theory it seems simple enough, since there is no electrical connection to the lens, Canon's flange distance is less than Nikon's, and Canon's throat is wider than Nikon's. But devils often lurk in details...

I recently decided to experiment with this after reading about the Nikkor AI 20mm f/4 lens, which was produced for only one year (from sometime in 1977 into January 1978). It was one of Galen Rowell's favorite lenses, and Ken Rockwell calls it the best wide-angle lens for film cameras (and presumably for full-frame digital as well if you don't mind giving up AF). So I ordered a Fotodiox Pro Nikon F to Canon EOS adapter, and I found (to my surprise) two of these lenses for sale: one at Adorama for $399, and one in an eBay auction from a dealer in Vancouver with 99%+ positive feedback. Both lenses looked to be in excellent condition. I won the one on eBay for significantly less than Adorama was asking for their copy. Here's a pic:

797337896_cq4Kf-M.jpg

To make a long story short, everything came in the mail and the lens and the adapter both seem fine. BUT. I have three Canon cameras in the house: an old EOS 100 Elan film camera, a 5D Mark II, and a Rebel XSi. The adapter, by itself, fits fine on all three cameras, and the lens fits fine on the adapter, but the adapter with the lens on it only mounts on two of my three cameras. Naturally the one where it doesn't work is the one I really wanted to use this lens on, the 5D Mark II. It almost fits, but not quite; it doesn't fully seat along the bottom. This isn't an EF vs. EF-S problem, since the Elan is a full-frame film camera and predates EF-S by over a decade anyway.

Having inspected everything closely, I think the problem has to do with a little piece of curved black metal on the back of the lens. Here's a pic of the nether end:

797337870_tKmhv-M.jpg

You can see that there's a raised ring of black metal inside the mounting ring, and part of that raised ring (along the bottom of the lens, toward the far side of this picture) is raised even higher, forming a curving tab. I think this tab is bumping into the black inner body of my 5D Mark II just above the row of electrical contacts for the lens mount.

Eyeballing the 5D Mark II and the other cameras, the differences are subtle. It's not obvious why it bumps on this camera and not the others, but the 5D2 must provide just a little less space behind the lens mount. With EF lenses this wouldn't matter, but I don't imagine the 5D2's design was validated against Nikkor lenses during the development stage.

So I have a few questions for Nikon experts:

Why is that raised tab there? What does it do?

I've seen pictures of other Nikkor lenses and that part seems different on each of them, so I'm not sure if this problem means that NO Nikkor lens will fit on a 5D2, or if some will and some won't, depending on the size and placement of the tab. Any informed opinions out there? Any good rules of thumb to predict which ones would work?

Would it harm the lens' functionality on Nikon cameras if the tab were carefully filed down by about a millimeter to allow me to use it on my 5D2? I'm sure that would ruin the lens as a collector's item, but it's no worse than a home AI job -- as long as the lens still works right on Nikon cameras.

Does anyone know what kind of metal that part is, and what sort of file would be required to take it down a bit?

Obviously the rear element would have to be protected if I were going to do this. I'd probably gently tape one or more cotton balls over the glass (unless someone's got a better idea).

Thanks for any helpful advice or info anyone has. I'd really like to be able to use this lens; I'm curious to compare its images to those from my EF 17-40mm f/4L USM. I'm not afraid of manual focus and in any case you don't have to try very hard to focus a 20mm lens due to the short hyperfocal distance.
http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 26, 2010
    I think, but I'm not completely sure, that the long "tab" of metal on the rear of the lens is there to mostly protect the protruding rear element from damage (should someone inadvertently place the lens, or even accidentally drop the lens, bottom side down on an abrasive surface) and it also provided some light baffling on particular Nikon bodies.

While I do believe that you can completely eliminate the tab if you want, without affecting the basic mechanical or optical properties of the lens, you might try to find a donor lens to harvest the rear bezel and just replace the rear bezel on the Nikkor 20mm with the rear bezel from the donor lens. If you can find a suitable replacement rear bezel, that also leaves you free to revert the lens if you want to later.

Be extremely careful as the protruding rear element may still not clear the mirror and either the mirror or rear lens element (or both) may be damaged. I cannot find any written documentation saying what bodies that lens was safe to use on.

You may wonder how even shorter focal length lenses are safely mounted onto a FF body? The lens designers/manufacturers use an "optic relay" to provide a longer distance between the lens elements and the focal plane, preventing any mechanical interference.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2010
    Thanks, Ziggy. I don't think there's much risk of interfering with the mirror; the tab is the only part of the lens that protrudes past the inner edge of the adapter, and the tab is entirely below the level of the mirror. The rear element actually doesn't intrude into the camera body at all.

Still, I suppose one comparatively safe experiment would be to recharge the battery in my Elan and see if I can take a picture (even without film) without anything going wrong. Damaging the Elan would bother me a lot less than damaging the 5D2.

The donor lens idea is good, but I have no idea what other Nikkor models would be compatible both with the 5D2 and the physical construction of the Nikkor 20mm f/4. I suppose another lens of the same diameter would be a good guess, but who knows if the bezels would be similar enough to swap?

When I can find the time, I'll take the lens to a hardware store and see if anyone can recommend a suitable file.

edited February 26, 2010
    craig_d wrote:
    ... I don't think there's much risk of interfering with the mirror; the tab is the only part of the lens that protrudes past the inner edge of the adapter, and the tab is entirely below the level of the mirror. The rear element actually doesn't intrude into the camera body at all.

Still, I suppose one comparatively safe experiment would be to recharge the battery in my Elan and see if I can take a picture (even without film) without anything going wrong. Damaging the Elan would bother me a lot less than damaging the 5D2.

That's great.
    craig_d wrote:

The donor lens idea is good, but I have no idea what other Nikkor models would be compatible both with the 5D2 and the physical construction of the Nikkor 20mm f/4. I suppose another lens of the same diameter would be a good guess, but who knows if the bezels would be similar enough to swap?

I've read where even 3rd party lenses and damaged lenses were used for that purpose. Yes, it takes a lot of exploration. I do wonder if that piece is just a simple bezel that may be removed without affecting the lens function. Looking at your image it's hard to tell.
    craig_d wrote:

When I can find the time, I'll take the lens to a hardware store and see if anyone can recommend a suitable file.

If you do proceed with physical modification, it would be best to remove the part from the lens. Barring that, covering all of the other parts with a low-tack tape and plastic is generally what I have done (in similar projects.) If any of the tape adhesive gets left behind, a little lens cleaning alcohol swab generally removes the gunk.
    ziggy53
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2010
    You might find these folks helpful~ MFlens forums
    tom wise
    edited February 26, 2010
    angevin1 wrote:
    You might find these folks helpful~ MFlens forums

Thanks; I've signed up there. I found an existing thread where people are sharing information about using different manual-focus lenses on the 5D II, which is just what I need.

edited February 27, 2010
    craig_d wrote:
    Thanks; I've signed up there. I found an existing thread where people are sharing information about using different manual-focus lenses on the 5D II, which is just what I need.

Good. I found the same thread the other week when I ordered my adapter too. I noticed what you mean about the lack of room in the bottom of the 5DMK2, it really is close to the flange. Let me know how that lens works out~!
    tom wise
    edited February 27, 2010
    Success! wings.gif

I went to a local hardware store this morning and bought a small metal file with a triangular cross-section. Back home, I covered the rear lens element with a few layers of surgical gauze, held down at the sides by two fingers of my left hand. With my right hand, I carefully filed the metal tab down for several minutes. When it looked good, I cleaned away the metal dust, cleaned the back of the lens with a Nikon Lens Pen, and tried mounting it in my 5D Mark II. It fit! So I took it back off and filed off a little more metal just to be safe, cleaned it again, and tried taking a few pictures. Here's one:

798512773_53zsk-L-1.jpg

Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Nikkor AI 20mm f/4 (1977)
    1/320 sec. at f/4, ISO 100

Now to buy more ancient lenses at bargain prices...

edited February 27, 2010
    thumb.gif Great Job!! Looks nice~
    tom wise
    edited February 28, 2010
    Awfully encouraging Craig. Congratulations. thumb.gifclap.gif
    ziggy53