Options

Got an RFQ... now what???

Mr_Beach_BumMr_Beach_Bum Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
edited February 26, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
Hi everyone -

So I did some casual work for a government agency recently and I guess they liked what they saw. I just got an unsolicited RFQ in my email looking for a bid to do promotional photos on an as needed basis for the period of 1 year. They'd like a price per session, but each session would have different requirements - so I guess I just need to come up with something generic. I'd be providing a CD of the photos and giving up the rights. Since this is a government entity, I am assuming they will have a minimum of 3 bidders with preference going to the lowest bid at an acceptable quality level.

So how much should I charge? I know some prevailing rates in the area but not for this type of work. My inclination is to assume a minimum of 6 hours work for any assignment, and I am guessing a reasonable rate would be about $75/hr. That's $450/session. I see people on craigslist that would probably do it for $150 - but I doubt they'd be considered....

And I'm rambling.... any thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Dedalus77Dedalus77 Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited February 26, 2010
    Do you have any idea what their budget is or how much they expect to award on the total contract? That will have a large impact on how much competition they are required to get. Given that it is a quote, they will have to award strictly on the basis of low price. Something else to consider is that government often expects a discount off of what commercial pricing is.

What are they asking you to quote on? price per session? price per hour? If the requirements are going to vary per shoot you may want to quote a price per hour.

Feel free to send me a PM, I know all about government procurement as it is my day job :)