The early bird gets the worm...

M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
edited February 28, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
...but the second mouse always gets the cheese. :D

My first whimsical attempt using a superwide and bounce flash together, so I have a question. Where does your eye naturally go? To the red Rat Trap or the yellow cracker? If it's the cracker, would a bit more saturation bring it out/help?

797114252_c2BrY-L.jpg

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited February 26, 2010
    M38A1 wrote:
    ...but the second mouse always gets the cheese. :D

My first whimsical attempt using a superwide and bounce flash together, so I have a question. Where does your eye naturally go? To the red Rat Trap or the yellow cracker? If it's the cracker, would a bit more saturation bring it out/help?

Cool shot. I don't have a superwide yet but it's at the top of my list.

My eyes went to the strong red first. Boosting the sat of the yellow would help some, but if it were my shot I would try selecting the red lettering and making it black. It's just too strong to compete with, though a splotch of red is always attractive. ne_nau.gif
  • RoadkillRoadkill Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2010
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2010
    RED first also.

Am I the only one that wishes the bottom part wasn't cut off?
    Liz A.
    _________
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2010
    I like the shot in general, but the bait bothers me. I can't tell what it is and that sucks in all my attention trying to figure it out.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:
    I like the shot in general, but the bait bothers me. I can't tell what it is and that sucks in all my attention trying to figure it out.

Looks like a Combos cracker to me.

BTW, the red is the first thing that I seen. Maybe a selective color is in order for this one, if you want to draw attention to the bait first, or maybe desaturate the red a bit so it doesn't stand out as much.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • topcat374topcat374 Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2010
    Red for me too but that isn't a problem for me. After reading the lettering I then found myself exploring the rest of the picture. May not be what you want but works for me!!:D
    More practice needed but learning all the time!:rofl

Nikon D50, 18mm-55mm, 55mm-200mm, 50mm f/1.8, SB800, LowePro Slingshot 200AW and other bits!
  • invisibleinvisible Registered Users Posts: 440 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    BroPhoto wrote:
    BTW, the red is the first thing that I seen. Maybe a selective color is in order for this one, if you want to draw attention to the bait first, or maybe desaturate the red a bit so it doesn't stand out as much.
    These are my thoughts as well. In fact, I'd see what happens if I desaturate the whole image, not just the letters. It's an interesting image, thanks for sharing.
    I steal the soul of inanimate things.

Federico
    Website / Flickr
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited February 28, 2010
    I've been thinking about this one some more (always dangerous :D), and I started wondering, what's wrong with not having the bait be the center of attention? Maybe it ain't broke and doesn't need fixing. headscratch.gif
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2010
  • wendellwendell Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    I like the shot ... would be more interesting if some fingers were gingerly placing the bait on the trap.