Olympus Pen - Experiences?

Numbers GuyNumbers Guy Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
edited February 27, 2010 in Cameras
I have been reading a lot about the Pen cameras lately and am tempted for a walk around camera when my DSLR is too much. The just released Pen E-PL1 at $599 is more my price point than the other two, but I'm wondering what experiences anyone might have had with the E-P1 or E-P2.

I've read quite a few reviews, and many seem to focus on the "fun" factor of the cameras. I haven't really been able to gauge image quality, say compared to something like a Canon 40D. I know they're not in the same market, but I'm thinking in comparison to a 1.6 crop sensor camera.

My current walk around camera is a Panasonic LX3, which takes very nice pics for a compact. I just have never quite gotten accustomed to the user interface. Not intuitive for me.

Thanks!
Doug Vaughn
http://www.dougvaughn.com
Canon 5D MKII and more lenses than my wife thinks I can afford.

Comments

• ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2010
    Consider a Panasonic GF1 with 20mm f/1.7. I have this camera and love it.

740662159_EgXXF-L.jpg

Original here.
    If not now, when?
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    Consider a Panasonic GF1 with 20mm f/1.7. I have this camera and love it.

Original here.

So far, that seems the best of the m4/3 cameras. Way over the cost ceiling of the OP, however.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 27, 2010
    I have been reading a lot about the Pen cameras lately and am tempted for a walk around camera when my DSLR is too much. The just released Pen E-PL1 at $599 is more my price point than the other two, but I'm wondering what experiences anyone might have had with the E-P1 or E-P2.

I've read quite a few reviews, and many seem to focus on the "fun" factor of the cameras. I haven't really been able to gauge image quality, say compared to something like a Canon 40D. I know they're not in the same market, but I'm thinking in comparison to a 1.6 crop sensor camera.

My current walk around camera is a Panasonic LX3, which takes very nice pics for a compact. I just have never quite gotten accustomed to the user interface. Not intuitive for me.

Thanks!

I notice that you have some very nice Canon lenses. Similarly, you need very good lenses on the Micro Four-Thirds cameras to get the best from them.

Unfortunately the reviews of the M. Zuiko Digital 14-42mm, f3.5-5.6 ED (standard zoom for the Olympus M4/3rd cameras) are just OK. I would rather suggest that a Zuiko ED 12-60mm, F2.8-4.0 SWD is greatly superior optically, but probably not a perfect choice for the M4/3rd bodies.

In Olympus I would probably recommend an E-620 at least and the above 12-60mm, F2.8-4.0 SWD as not much larger, in terms of body size, but greatly superior in terms of image quality, overall responsiveness, and general utility.

Since you are already vested in Canon, You might consider one of the later dRebel bodies. Pretty compact by themselves (without a grip, for instance) they allow you to leverage your existing lenses and accessories. Add a Tamron AF 17-50mm, f2.8 XR Di-II LD SP Aspherical (IF) for a standard zoom and a flash, and you have a very nice, single lens kit for events and walk-a-round.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums