Tropical Panorama

JusherJusher Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited November 20, 2007 in Landscapes
I never got tired of this view of Bora Bora's lagoon. How could I?

(In fact I made a 70 megapixel panorama of the scene and printed it out - 24x70 inches or so at 200ppi, non-interpolated) to help with the winter doldrums here in New Zealand!)

Hope you enjoy it - feedback is as always appreciated!

Jonathan
http://jusher.smugmug.com

30975619-O.jpg

Comments

• wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2005
    Great panorama Jonathan,

Printing a 70mp print would probably cause smoke to start coming out of the back of my Dell Dimension!

My only critiques are minor - a little bright in the left hand bottom area, too bad the cloud didn't cooperate and move off of the mountain for your pic, and maybe a little earlier/later in the day? But these aside, a neat shot.

What would make it perfect would be if I were somewhere in the shot (even if not actually visable), with a fruity drink in my hand, maybe playing a little guitar, with no committments for the next 12 months!mwink.gif
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2005
    Awesome - I'll bet it looks great framed.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,467 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2005
  • S. ReedS. Reed Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2005
    A very good composition. Perhaps the same perspective plus a bit of elevation could have improved it ... a little more beach and a little more sky. Perhaps not as I don't know what's behind those bushes at the left ... and you do.
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2005
    Jonathan
    Wonderful pano great colors clap.gif

Thanks
    Fred
  • ssersser Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2005
    Great shot!! where in NZ was this taken I'm going there next month and looking for some places to take some good shots but from what i hear everywhere is beautiful!!
  • JusherJusher Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2005
    Yes, New Zealand is indeed beautiful (though it's winter here now, so it's not very warm!), but the panorama is not from New Zealand but rather Bora Bora - one of the islands in French Polynesia. It's about 5-6 hours from New Zealand, or 8 hours from Los Angeles. Plus a 45 minute "island hop" from the main island of Tahiti. But it's worth the effort!

Jonathan
    http://jusher.smugmug.com
  • maheanuumaheanuu Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited November 17, 2007
    Bora Bora E!
    I used to fish where the hotel is that you show in the photo. Every evening I would take off and fish either down around Anau, or head over to Topua. Jack (Paihere) used to be plentiful there. I lived and worked on Bora for over 7 years, but make my home on Raiatea. Wife has family there and no matter the island, I have family that I can visit with and spend time with catchin' up on what's the hap's are.

Boy, do I miss home!
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    Bora Bora is beautiful beautiful! :D

I generally hide from bright sun and hot tropical climates but this makes me want to visit. I think you did a great job especially considering the sun was almost directly overhead and almost certainly quite harsh.

I bet the scene is even more lovely around sunset, too!

Great photo thumb.gif
  • PwFPwF Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    Great location and the sun at this time of day can kill an image, but if you use Photoshop I would do a bit of work on this and it can look even better. For one thing I'd burn in the grass in the two bottom convers. It is way too bright now and detacts from the rest of the image.
    I'd do the same thing with the huts on the left (just a bit) and the small piece of land and trees on the right edge. The whole sky could also be a bit darker so that the clouds stand out more.

One pro trick when making prints is to burn-in all along the edges and make them darker so as to keep the viewers attention "Inside" the image and not going off the edges. Try that and watch how the rest of the center areas jump out at you.
    B SUM 1
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    I hope that is you floating in the water beyond the hotel roomsmwink.gif

BTW, I think this scene needs a black point, meaning, somewhere in the file a RGB of at least 555.
  • cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    clap.gif Very cool. Long panos like that are great. I agree with previous comments that the left hand portion looks a bit hot on the brightness.
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net