Equipment for Shooting Team Photos

RadMan10RadMan10 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited March 2, 2010 in Cameras
I was wondering what the more experienced photographers would consider to be the minimal (read starting out) equipment needed for shooting sports portraits, i.e., both team and individual. I use a Nikon D70 and have a Nikon 80-200 f/2.8, a 18-200 f/3.5-5.6, and a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 lens, and a SB-600 flash. I am considering upgrading my D70, but not sure if it is worth it yet. Many thanks.

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    I moved this to 'Cameras', since this seems a better fit than 'People' for your question thumb.gif
  • PhotometricPhotometric Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    I think you should get the following:

Nikkor 50mm f1.8 (usa version $125.00 at B&H)

Alien Bee Beginner bee package $359.00

This way you have the sharpest lens and a monolight that will be able to illuminate the subjects properly. The SB600 is a nice light, but you need to be mindful of the fact that in heavy use, it can overheat.

You also should think about a backdrop which includes a stand and something to hang behind your subjects.

I also had bought the Nikkor 28mm f2.8 for the team pictures, but the problem is that with the white of the rink and florescent lighting and colors from the jerseys showed some color fringing by the lens.
    http://www.djdimages.com/

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition."
    -- Abraham Lincoln
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 28, 2010
    For indoor sports, the stuff that Photometric listed would be pretty good. Since it wouldn't necessarily be that useful for outdoor sports, many team photographers use speedlights of some sort for indoor and outdoor teams and individuals.

Outdoors, several speedlights into umbrellas may be required to overcome sunlight in a group shot, but they are still generally more cost effective and more portable than studio lights, partly because they supply their own power, allowing setup potentially anywhere.

For individual shots, a white popup pavilion tent of some sort is a great asset and it provides shade and diffused sunlight in sunny weather, and wet protection in rainy weather. A white side and back are also nice for bouncing light and providing a plain background. A couple of speedlights, properly placed for key (with spill allowance for the background) and fill will generally suffice. (Although you still need some backup lighting too.) 2 of the 10' x 10' tents together give enough room for both signup and a "studio" area.

The link I often give for the scoop modifiers that I often use also shows the devices used for individual team member shots.

http://www.fototime.com/inv/908195739C4C0D3
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • RadMan10RadMan10 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited February 28, 2010
    Thank you for the great suggestions. You guys are awesome!clap.gif
  • JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    The camera is the last thing I'd look at upgrading. As others have said, work out the lighting and background issues first.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures