Options

Opinions on upgrading please

RohirrimRohirrim Registered Users Posts: 1,889 Major grins
edited August 9, 2005 in Cameras
I would like to hear your opinions on upgrading cameras. I currently own a Canon Digital Rebel (the original rebel not the XT). For the most part I've been really happy with the Camera.

I have wanted to upgrade to the 20D for about 4 months now, but thought that it may be better to wait for Canon to release the successor to the 20D. (Of course that may not happen for quite some time). But I'm starting to get ancy and long for the additional features of the 20D.

I realize that this is not an easy (possibly impossible) question but what do you think? Should I get the 20D now? or should I wait? :dunno:scratch

Thank you for your thoughts/opinions

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2005
    If you've decided that it's what you want to do, don't wait. The 20D is a fantastic camera, really the sweetspot in the Canon line-up. Unless you know something's gonna happen in a month, there's no reason not to go for it. I can't imagine what the 20D's replacement will have that will make me sorry I don't have one. Maybe it'll be fantastic, but I would be more of an incremental improvement.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    JohnEBongoJohnEBongo Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2005
    I upgraded 1 week ago from my Digital Rebel to the 20D. The 20D is IMO a far superior camera to the DRebel. I thought about waiting also, but especially since the next camera out will probably be more expensive than the 20D, I decided to uupgrade now. I have no regrets now and this camnera is so good, I am sure I won't regret not waiting.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2005
    Thank you both for your comments. I'll be making a decision soon.... I think ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2005
    Rohirrim wrote:
    Thank you both for your comments. I'll be making a decision soon.... I think ne_nau.gif
    The 20D was released one year ago (to the month, I beleive). I would be very surprised to see it upgraded this quickly. Just doesn't seem long enough. Also remember the "old guy" in the line-up is currently the 1D Mark II. It would make sense to upgrade that camera next, but who knows?
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2005
    Rohirrim wrote:
    Hi Steve,
    I've never used the DRebel, but I do own the 20D. Quite happy with itthumb.gif. I'm up here in Reno and if you would like to get together on a weekend or evening and give the 20D a spin, just let me know. And I guess you can keep the pictures you take:D.

Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• Options
    edited August 9, 2005
    Hi Steve,
    I've never used the DRebel, but I do own the 20D. Quite happy with itthumb.gif. I'm up here in Reno and if you would like to get together on a weekend or evening and give the 20D a spin, just let me know. And I guess you can keep the pictures you take:D.

Chris
    Thanks Chris for the kind offer. I know someone who has the 20D and have been able to shoot with it, so I already have a good idea what it can do. Now I'm going to have to take a close look at this 5D that everyone is going on about mwink.gif:D. Oh, decisions, decisions.....

Thanks again,