A new ferris wheel in Liverpool, UK

IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
edited March 1, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
An attempt at a more unusual angle as opposed to your normal get the whole wheel in the frame shot :)

CC's welcome

800279897_mQhwN-O.jpg

Lens: EF-S10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
Focal Length: 10.0mm
Aperture: f/18.0
Exposure Time: 6.000 s
ISO equiv: 100
Exposure Bias: +2.00
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Manual
Flash Fired: No (Manual)

Comments

• lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    I do like how you framed this shot! and the long exposure just works.
    It almost looks like you inverted the colors when you processed it (like an xray machine) but then the sign stayed as isheadscratch.gif .

BTW--can't stand the sign--it's pretty ugly no? But chopping it off would ruin the nice framing on the ferriswheel.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited February 28, 2010

BTW--can't stand the sign--it's pretty ugly no? But chopping it off would ruin the nice framing on the ferriswheel.

The sign kills it for me, but I think it could still work if cropped to remove the lettering--you could keep the logo. If you want to include a little more, it would probably be pretty easy to clone out the text and logo as well.
  • IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    Thanks for the comments guys :) - Much appreciated.

However, the sign was deliberately included because otherwise, it would have just been a photo of a ferris wheel ;).

The sign not only provides an explanation to the image but also gives perspective of enormity of the wheel. I do appreciate it's not to everyone's tastes of course ;)

As for the colours, the wheel has lots of blue lighting in the centre piece and also every carriage is outlined in blue LED's. I shot the image using Tungsten WB which held the blues and also preserved the whites. No inverting of colours has occurred.

A touch of highlight recovery was used.
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    I like the comp and good execution on the long exposure, especially with the sign included. I personally feel that the sign sets the image up and is a general departure from the usual, lonely, spinning ferris wheel shot.
    Randy
  • IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    Thanks Randy :)
  • RoadkillRoadkill Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    I dig the sign too... the long exposure, the color and feel of it is really nice. love this shot.

Oooo shiny ... !