Lion

rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
edited March 1, 2010 in Street and Documentary
798657857_aVYHZ-XL.jpg

Chinese lion celebrating the Chinese New Year (Year of the Tiger). Gung Hay Fat Choy to all!

(Taken in the street, using an eraser to PP the background...)

Comments

• thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    rainbow wrote:
    798657857_aVYHZ-XL.jpg

Chinese lion celebrating the Chinese New Year (Year of the Tiger). Gung Hay Fat Choy to all!

I'm afraid your processing has killed your street shot. What you have here is a portrait.
    Travis
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited February 28, 2010
    rainbow wrote:

Quite a spectacular costume, but I would like to see it with the background intact. As is, it's more of a product shot for a catalog than a street shot.
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    rainbow wrote:
    798657857_aVYHZ-XL.jpg

Wonderful image and an intriguing use of Photoshop, Great for a Forum for post processing, but definitely neither street photography or photo journalism. However, were it part of a series, with text, I can see how in might be described as documentary. But it isn't, and so it's not.rolleyes1.gif :
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    Street or not--it is pretty awesome PP work! Not an easy thing.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    thoth wrote:
    I'm afraid your processing has killed your street shot. What you have here is a portrait.

But if I had posted it in "People", they might complain that the focus on the eye is a little soft... rolleyes1.gif
    edited March 1, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    Quite a spectacular costume, but I would like to see it with the background intact. As is, it's more of a product shot for a catalog than a street shot.

Perhaps... BUT it was an okay shot with the background and may be a "stunning" shot with the PP.

In fact it is a candid caught at a fortuitous moment during a the lion dance ceremony to chase the evil spirits away. It was strongly backlit with over two-thirds the background completely blown out highlights.
    edited March 1, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    Wonderful image and an intriguing use of Photoshop, Great for a Forum for post processing, but definitely neither street photography or photo journalism. However, were it part of a series, with text, I can see how in might be described as documentary. But it isn't, and so it's not.rolleyes1.gif :

I might argue that if a lion were that close to you and ready to pounce (as this one was), that all you would see is the lion and the "bright lights" of the near death experience... :grim .

But I won't... mwink.gif .

Actually, Travis, Richard, B. D., and others: I wanted to share the photo with other members of my "home forum" (whether technically "street" or not) and take the opportunity to wish all a Happy New Year!
    edited March 1, 2010
    Street or not--it is pretty awesome PP work! Not an easy thing.

Thanks, Liz. I am not well practiced in PP. Fortunately, it was as easy as finding the eraser tool and using the mouse to erase the background to white, which was mostly already done.

The following is a tiny copy (SOOC with brightness boost) of the original. It already had a surreal quality to it...
    799647766_fAC6Q-Ti.jpg
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited March 1, 2010
    rainbow wrote:
    Thanks, Liz. I am not well practiced in PP. Fortunately, it was as easy as finding the eraser tool and using the mouse to erase the background to white, which was mostly already done.

The following is a tiny copy (SOOC with brightness boost) of the original. It already had a surreal quality to it...
    799647766_fAC6Q-Ti.jpg

Well, it's a little hard to tell from such a tiny version, but I think the original might be a lot better, even if the background is mostly blown. You might even try blowing it out more and adding some blur in post to enhance the surreality. It just seems to me that eliminating it altogether gives it a clinical feel that lessens the drama. ne_nau.gif
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    rainbow wrote:
    But if I had posted it in "People", they might complain that the focus on the eye is a little soft... rolleyes1.gif

Which eyes !! rolleyes1.gif
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    rainbow wrote:
    Actually, Travis, Richard, B. D., and others: I wanted to share the photo with other members of my "home forum" (whether technically "street" or not) and take the opportunity to wish all a Happy New Year!

Rainbow and all Street Forum participants...

恭禧發財

Gong Xi Fa Cai

Here's to a fantastic Year of the Tiger.