"Bring me flowers and play me some romantic tunes"

invisibleinvisible Registered Users Posts: 440 Major grins
edited March 2, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
p532775412-4.jpg

(From yesterday's rural exploration trip, which included being kicked out of an abandoned residence by its owner at 10pm.)

Thanks for looking...
I steal the soul of inanimate things.

Federico
Website / Flickr

Comments

• wendellwendell Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    I like it. I assume those are artificial flowers, would like to see a b/w conversion. Glad you weren't injured or worse after being discovered and thrown out. Maybe ask permission next time.
  • invisibleinvisible Registered Users Posts: 440 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    wendell wrote:
    I like it. I assume those are artificial flowers, would like to see a b/w conversion.
    Thanks, Wendell. Yes, those were artificial flowers. They were right there on the floor when we arrived, and it seemed like no one had been in that house for years.
    wendell wrote:
    Glad you weren't injured or worse after being discovered and thrown out. Maybe ask permission next time.
    Thanks again. We make sure to abide by the local trespassing laws which, in brief, say that you cannot enter a property if it's enclosed -- fenced, locked, etc. -- or if there's a "no trespassing" sign. If neither of those two instances happen, then entering the house is fair game. However, if the legitimate owner of the property asks you to leave, then you must leave or else it's trespassing.

We'd love to be able to ask for permission, but these houses are normally in the middle of nowhere, so you just don't have anybody to ask :)

Federico
    Website / Flickr
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    I like the photo, but the comments are more intriguing. The photo was obviously taken in daylight hours. What were you still doing there at 10 PM? What was the owner doing there at 10PM?

Does it stay daylight at 10PM in Manitoba?
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
    edited March 1, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:
    I like the photo, but the comments are more intriguing. The photo was obviously taken in daylight hours. What were you still doing there at 10 PM? What was the owner doing there at 10PM?

Does it stay daylight at 10PM in Manitoba?
    Hi Tony,

This photo was shot about 15 minutes before sunset. We stayed in the house for a few hours with the goal of shooting its interior using moon light only (it was almost full moon last night). This was an ambitious project that for the most part failed. I'm not sure how the owner of the house spotted us, but a couple of the guys were shooting with flashes and gels... The light of the flashes might've been visible from afar... or maybe it was the three cars parked at night in front of a vacant house in the middle of nowhere :)

In the summer, there's still daylight at 10pm in Manitoba. Not in the winter, though.

Federico
    Website / Flickr
  • DRabbitDRabbit Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    Nice shot... I love this kind of photography.

Does the owner live on the property (assumably large property) in another house? How does it have an owner yet is in such poor shape (I wonder outloud)...
    Amy :D
    Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

The Dang Gallery on DangRabbit - Follow me on Twitter or on Facebook
    Leica M8: Zeiss 35mm f/2 Biogon and 50mm f/2 Planar; Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5, 50mm f/1.5 Nokton and 75mm f/2.5 Heliar
    Olympus E-P1: Zuiko 14-42 and 25mm f/2.8 Pancake; Panasonic 45-200mm and 20mm f/1.7; and M-to-m4/3 adaptor
    Olympus e620: Zuiko 14-54 f/2.8-3.5

edited March 1, 2010
    DRabbit wrote:
    Nice shot... I love this kind of photography.

Does the owner live on the property (assumably large property) in another house? How does it have an owner yet is in such poor shape (I wonder outloud)...
    Thanks, Amy :)

No, the owner does not live in the property. Besides the house, there was a barn and a couple of tool sheds, also abandoned. When asking us to leave, the owner cited concerns about our safety -- which, if you think about it, were totally justified. However, why would he not tear down a building that he deems unsafe is beyond me. (That being said, of all of the abandoned houses that I visited in the last 7-8 months, this one seemed the safest from collapsing or floors caving in.)

Federico
    Website / Flickr
  • MacushlaMacushla Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    It's a beautiful photo, so very sad.
    edited March 1, 2010
    Macushla wrote:
    It's a beautiful photo, so very sad.
    Thank you, Macushla. Sadness is one of the moods that one feels when visiting these abandoned houses and starts finding personal objects left behind.

Federico
    Website / Flickr
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    That is one old record player. Wonder what year it was made. I agree...it is a sad photo, but you title really adds to the sadness...good pick on the title thumb.gif
    edited March 2, 2010
    Dogdots wrote:
    That is one old record player. Wonder what year it was made. I agree...it is a sad photo, but you title really adds to the sadness...good pick on the title thumb.gif
    Thank you, Mary. The house was inhabited until at least 1990... but of course that record player looks like it's a good 50 years old (if not more).

Federico
    Website / Flickr