Interesting observations....

rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
edited February 28, 2010 in Street and Documentary
So, when I went to the quilt show the other day, I knew I wanted to shoot for people as well as for the quilts.

I shoot hundreds of images of quilts for my own study, and so usually just shoot large JPG, and had to remember to switch back to RAW for the people images (remembered sometimes, sometimes not)

People are pretty used to the flashes going off, so they weren't usually distracted by it, but on the other hand, if the flash went off and they thought they were in the way, they'd move, because they knew I wanted good shot of the quilt,. Which wasn't my goal, lol:rofl so I ended up upping my ISO...

But I didn't notice THIS till I got home.
Was it Me, or was it the viewer of the quilts???

The quilter viewing and the quilts seem to MATCH!! The vibrant shirt goes for the chaotic quilt, the taupe quilt attracts the bland dresser, the white quilt draws the white hair....

These were my attempts at Together /Apart for the challenge...the interaction between the SUBJECTS (and I asked, they said they didn't both have to be living, lol):ivar

The viewers are all getting really close, almost up into the quilts in all these images, and in the Hitchcock one, not at all (she was looking at another quilt)

799043177_MA2Ny-M.jpg

799043359_4eVmD-M.jpg

799042319_33uxN-M.jpg

799042701_8ATYm-M.jpg

799033459_iv7Di-S.jpg

797822716_VzwJD-S.jpg

Comments

• lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    Hi Trish,
    I want these to work--but they just don't--for me anyway, except for the last one--and I like it better in B&W, it was just so much more dramatic that way.

Maybe it's because they are mostly all from the back ne_nau.gif .
    Liz A.
    _________
  • rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    Hi Trish,
    I want these to work--but they just don't--for me anyway, except for the last one--and I like it better in B&W, it was just so much more dramatic that way.

Maybe it's because they are mostly all from the back ne_nau.gif .
    oh, yeah, thats why i settled on the hitchcock (i think)...it was just an odd thing I noticed, with the colors in the quilts and the color/styles of the people (which is why i posted the color hitchcock...)
    Hitchcock MUST be in BW!!!!

thanks for responding though!!
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited February 28, 2010
    rteest42 wrote:
    Hitchcock MUST be in BW!!!!

nod.gif
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    rteest42 wrote:
    So, when I went to the quilt show the other day, I knew I wanted to shoot for people as well as for the quilts.

I shoot hundreds of images of quilts for my own study, and so usually just shoot large JPG, and had to remember to switch back to RAW for the people images (remembered sometimes, sometimes not)

People are pretty used to the flashes going off, so they weren't usually distracted by it, but on the other hand, if the flash went off and they thought they were in the way, they'd move, because they knew I wanted good shot of the quilt,. Which wasn't my goal, lolrolleyes1.gif so I ended up upping my ISO...

But I didn't notice THIS till I got home.
    Was it Me, or was it the viewer of the quilts???

The quilter viewing and the quilts seem to MATCH!! The vibrant shirt goes for the chaotic quilt, the taupe quilt attracts the bland dresser, the white quilt draws the white hair....

These were my attempts at Together /Apart for the challenge...the interaction between the SUBJECTS (and I asked, they said they didn't both have to be living, lol):ivar

The viewers are all getting really close, almost up into the quilts in all these images, and in the Hitchcock one, not at all (she was looking at another quilt)

I have to say - I am sorry to say - the first four do not work for me at all - what each presents is a jumble of colors - all they end up doing is reminding me of Mom's admonision to never mix plaids and other patterns. rolleyes1.gif

The last two, however, are another matter, because you really have something going on in them. The 5th - I hope I have the number right - gives us the interplay of the blue ribbon to the right and the shape of the head, white hair, and top very similar in color to the blue ribbon. It's quite neat visually.

And the last one is a wonderful capture - the quilt and the passerby work perfectly together to give us an indoor street photo - though it would be much, much better without the watermark. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    I have to say - I am sorry to say - the first four do not work for me at all - what each presents is a jumble of colors - all they end up doing is reminding me of Mom's admonision to never mix plaids and other patterns. rolleyes1.gif

The last two, however, are another matter, because you really have so. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Ah your mother definitely wasn't a quilter, lol!!!!rolleyes1.gif

But to me, it wasn't any ONE of the images so much that were effective, it was this afterwards observation to me that I seemed to gravitate to quilts/viewers that seemed to 'match'....just one of those 'things'...

the last two are my favorites as well, and when I do the final edits, they'll go up without watermarks! (its my default for the folder I use to upload to...)
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    rteest42 wrote:
    Ah your mother definitely wasn't a quilter, lol!!!!rolleyes1.gif

But to me, it wasn't any ONE of the images so much that were effective, it was this afterwards observation to me that I seemed to gravitate to quilts/viewers that seemed to 'match'....just one of those 'things'...

the last two are my favorites as well, and when I do the final edits, they'll go up without watermarks! (its my default for the folder I use to upload to...)

Truth be told, she was a weaver, a needle pointer, a knitter, and, toward the end, a quilter. rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed