Options

Canon Raw (CR2) from a 20D vs. a 40D

StarrToDowlerStarrToDowler Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
edited March 5, 2010 in Finishing School
Hello...

I've been shooting with a Canon 20D for several years, and had no problem opening and processing the CR2 files in CS3. I recently picked up a 40D, but when I try to open ITS CR2 files in CS3, I get a message saying "Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document." :scratch

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world... those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited February 28, 2010
    Get your software up to date - ACR 4.6 in CS3 does support the 40D if kept up to date.

Apparently, your ACR has not been updated to 4.6 yet. My ACR 4.6 will open my 40D files without incident
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2010
    Got it. Thanks!
    There are only 10 kinds of people in the world... those who understand binary, and those who don't.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2010
    Actually, Pathfinder, I have another question. At the risk of being a pest:
    I have a buddy who recently picked up a 5D Mark II who is having the same problem with CR2 and CS3. It would probably be too simple to tell him that the same solution will work for him... but will it?

Thanks, once again!
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited March 1, 2010
    Nope. Neither CS2, nor CS3, can read or open 5DMKII RAW files.

He can convert his RAW files to dngs, and then open the dngs in CS2 or CS3, or he can pony up for CS4 or Lightroom2 which both do read 5DMkII files.

Or he can process his RAW files to tiffs with Digital PhotoPro that Canon packed with his camera in the box, and edit the tiffs in Cs2 or CS3.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    Or download the public beta of Lightroom 3, it supports all these files. There is however, no implicit guarantee that when the final version ships, the beta library can be updated so always be cautious with betas.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2010
    Many thanks for your help, guys. I REALLY appreciate it. thumb.gif