Another shot

RoadkillRoadkill Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
edited March 1, 2010 in Street and Documentary
Well tried to work with this mirror again this weekend and really didn't get what I had in my mind, but I thought this was interesting... thoughts?

799284665_7npft-L.jpg

Comments

• bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    Roadkill wrote:
    Well tried to work with this mirror again this weekend and really didn't get what I had in my mind, but I thought this was interesting... thoughts?

Now
    you've got something!clap.gifclap.gif

I fiddled a bit to give it more contrast, and then screen the faces in the makeup tent. Unfortunately, I couldn't do anything about that huge honking watermark, that really detracts from a wonderful shot.rolleyes1.gif
    Mirror.jpg
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    I dig it ylsuper.gif

Do like BD's redo as well
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    This is pretty cool as it looks like a magic mirror or a painting come to life. Their gazes at the girl makes the shot!
  • AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    Very nice capture. The girl with the "magic mirror" immediately drew my gaze.
    I'm not sure I'd go quite as far as B.D. with the contrast but he's the expert not me.
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • RoadkillRoadkill Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    Thanks for the comments...

I've always had some difficulty in determining contrast levels as to what is too much or too little.

It was always my understanding that you want levels in all shades of grey in a good B/W image, unless your going for a particular effect. It could be my monitor but the shadow details are pretty much gone in BD's remake, I like the extra snap that it has, just wondering where is the line.

I've been meaning to change the watermark... I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    If not now, when?
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    AndMan wrote:
    Very nice capture. The girl with the "magic mirror" immediately drew my gaze.
    I'm not sure I'd go quite as far as B.D. with the contrast but he's the expert not me.

Well...Looking at it again this morning, on a far better monitor, I'm not sure I'd go as far with the contrast as B. D. either.rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif I'd definitely pull back on the underside of the umbrella, to get the detail we see in the original.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • phillybikeboyphillybikeboy Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    Much better! Your first version of this came off a bit gimmicky. With the broader context of what and where, this shot really works. Very nice.clap.gif