5d and 7d body size?

tijosephtijoseph Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
edited March 5, 2010 in Cameras
Well, trying to decide to order another 5d mark 11, or get the 7d.

I think I've made up my mind, but was wondering, is the 7d's body the same size as the 5d? I know it is a cropped sensor, but I was curious about the size of the housing.

The rebels, are just a little too small for me, was worried the 7d might be similiar.

Comments

• gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    5DMII:

Product Dimensions: 6 x 4.5 x 3 inches ; 1.8 pounds

7D:

Product Dimensions: 5.8 x 4.4 x 2.9 inches ; 1.8 pounds

(per amazon.com product specs)

I went from an XSi to a 7D and the size difference and handling is significant...the body is not as small as a Rebel, which was a welcome change IMO.thumb.gif
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • tijosephtijoseph Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    Now why didn't I think of looking like that?

Thanks alot for doing the home work for me. I was looking up reviews left and right!
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    I just got the 5d2 for 2 weeks and like it so much. Since the size and weight is similar, 5D2 seems to be a better choice except the frame rate 3.9 fps vs 8 fps of the 7D.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • scorch07scorch07 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 2, 2010
    Yeah, as far as I know the rebels are the only ones in that smaller size class, thankfully. I definitely prefer the bigger ones and I even have small hands.
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    They are very similar in size but the 7D feels a bit sturdier in-hand.
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • FreezframeFreezframe Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    Alloy Frame !!
    I do believe the 7D has a alloy frame like the 5D... I've always been concerned about longer or heavier lens with a non alloy frame (XSI)..

Brady ne_nau.gif
    Dad/Photograher:ivar
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited March 4, 2010
    Freezframe wrote:
    I do believe the 7D has a alloy frame like the 5D... I've always been concerned about longer or heavier lens with a non alloy frame (XSI)..

Brady ne_nau.gif

I've used 500mm lenses on a Canon XT/350D with no discernible induced distortions because of the weight of the lens. I just try not to bang it around too much. It probably won't take too much abuse.

Yes, the 7D uses a magnesium exo-frame and all the sub-assemblies are hung off the frame, just like the 5D series.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • FreezframeFreezframe Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    My concern is the accidental bump!!!
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I've used 500mm lenses on a Canon XT/350D with no discernible induced distortions because of the weight of the lens. I just try not to bang it around too much. It probably won't take too much abuse.

Yes, the 7D uses a magnesium exo-frame and all the sub-assemblies are hung off the frame, just like the 5D series.

I know I'm talking along time ago-in fact -let say early 80's a friend of mine bought a Minolta that I believe was one of the first Plastic bodies..While walking through a door way bump his lens on the frame ...The body cracked rite at the lens mount...At the time I was shooting Ricoh and Pentax that were alloy frames and through that experience I could never buy this type of body con fig'...

I guess I still perfer my 69 RS Camero over todays plastic bodies as well...

Brady ne_nau.gif
    Dad/Photograher:ivar
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-7D-Digital-SLR-Camera-Review.aspx

About half way down you can see a pic of the 7D body and a bar below that. Mouse over the different bodies labelled in the bar and you can visually see the differences.
  • tijosephtijoseph Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2010
    Toshido wrote:
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-7D-Digital-SLR-Camera-Review.aspx

About half way down you can see a pic of the 7D body and a bar below that. Mouse over the different bodies labelled in the bar and you can visually see the differences.

oooh, great link, thanks!