TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
edited March 6, 2010 in Street and Documentary
799587855_2VHv7-XL.jpg
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/

Comments

• rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    The closest looks like he has seen plenty in his life and could tell a story or two.
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2010
    I posted this here a week ago.

A friend of mine who is a quite good amateur photographer saw this image and commented that I should have used Photoshop to mask that area to the right and put in a background instead of the blow-out (I was shooting three men in a patio bar with the sun behind them) area.

He shoots mostly portrait photos, and background is very important to him. I think, with this type of shot, that what you get trumps what you can turn it into.

What's the feeling of others?

799587855_2VHv7-XL.jpg[/quote]
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:
    I posted this here a week ago.

A friend of mine who is a quite good amateur photographer saw this image and commented that I should have used Photoshop to mask that area to the right and put in a background instead of the blow-out (I was shooting three men in a patio bar with the sun behind them) area.

He shoots mostly portrait photos, and background is very important to him. I think, with this type of shot, that what you get trumps what you can turn it into.

[/quote]Yeah the background is pretty blown. This is Street and PJ, though, so I'd say, maybe tone down the blowout and open up the front of the men, a bit, so as to draw more attention to them than the blown out background. Maybe vingeting that side would help. ne_nau.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited March 6, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:

I don't think I can really say without seeing it done. Some backgrounds might work, some might not, dunno. What's nice about this pic are the faces and the blown background doesn't bother me at all. If anything, I would force the one dark blotch above the hat on the right to pure white, or whatever the rest of the background is there.
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2010
    DonRicklin wrote:
    the background is pretty blown.
    It's a nice shot. thumb.gif

Slight cropping at the top and more severe cropping at the right (to the back of the main subject's neck) will deal to the blown-out areas, and also reinforce attention on the faces - especially the fellow in the foreground.
  • PMCPMC Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited March 6, 2010
    I think DonRicklin makes a good point. Would swapping out the background mean that the photo couldn't be considered street anymore? I would have to say that it would. Street photography doesn't always produce "perfect" photos, but for me at least, that is all part of the charm.

In your photo, the blowout doesn't bother me so much because it's balanced by the darkness in the bottom left corner. The men fill a large part of the frame and their faces have detail creating interest. It's a good photo so my vote is on leaving it as is or toning it down just a little if you really feel like it needs changing. Try vignetting just that corner to start with and see how it looks.
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2010
    PMC wrote:
    I think DonRicklin makes a good point. Would swapping out the background mean that the photo couldn't be considered street anymore? I would have to say that it would. Street photography doesn't always produce "perfect" photos, but for me at least, that is all part of the charm.

In your photo, the blowout doesn't bother me so much because it's balanced by the darkness in the bottom left corner. The men fill a large part of the frame and their faces have detail creating interest. It's a good photo so my vote is on leaving it as is or toning it down just a little if you really feel like it needs changing. Try vignetting just that corner to start with and see how it looks.
    I'm not advocating radical change, just some normal 'darkroom' work. Dodge down the blowout some and burn in a bit more detail on the righthand man. And the right side vignetting can help keep from sliding right out that side.

thumb.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2010
    this is a great shot clap.gif I'd try cropping from the top right and a bit on top to deal with the blown bit. When you start substituting backgrounds you start messing with the 'reality' of the shot IMHO. Those faces ace any imperfections in lighting to the right.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2010
    I'm going to second Patti's thoughts. You should look at a square crop anchored from the left hand side. I'm not so concerned about the blow outs, but it's the faces that make this is a nice shot. You also don't need the full hat and head of the Gentleman on the right.
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2010
    I love it as is--DON'T TOUCH IT!

This is a fantastic photo! One of your best in my opinion and I may be in the minority or totally alone, but I like the blown space and the sunlight coming over the man's cowboy hat---

bowdown.gif
    Liz A.
    _________
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2010