You're not driving a snowmobile!

KerrBearKerrBear Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
edited March 6, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
So my ex was meeting my husband and I in a town we don't generally meet at to exchange my oldest. I was on the road taking photos and he drives right by me and somehow doesn't see me. . . Then he goes into the parking lot across the street and drives onto the snowmobile trail and gets himself hung up on the snowdrift. It is 6pm on a Sunday evening in a very small farming town. Closest Wal-mart is 20 miles away. I just laughed. Was one of the reasons we didn't work out. . . He doesn't always think with all cylinders. :rolleyes

So he had the pleasure of going down to the local gas station and asking the big fella' that owned the shop if he could use his truck to pull his car outta the drift. We tried to help him push it out and there wasn't anything to hook up a chain onto our minivan without possibly destroying our bumper. Anyway, good times. We left shortly after getting the car unstuck with the help of the pickup and my ex had to sit there and chit chat with this very friendly and lonely store owner. My ex certainly isn't a guy who likes to sit and small talk and this guy had it set that he owed him something and that was a nice, long conversation. I waved happily as we drove away.

4396980545_5780061dd2.jpg

Comments

• WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2010
    Being that you live in MN, I'd think that your ex would have enough experience with snow to NOT try parking in a drift. But everybody has their weaknesses, I guess.

Here in the Baltimore area, we don't have snow experience as extensive as you upper Midwest folks, so our double-blizzard week last month was quite entertaining. People throwing their backs out and having heart-attacks shoveling, people sliding out of control, people driving on unplowed streets to get to the local store for smokes and lotto, people getting stuck in drifts when they park in plowed parking lots... the list is endless. But I didn't take my camera out and about much because the risk of damage was too great.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • KerrBearKerrBear Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2010
    WillCAD wrote:
    Being that you live in MN, I'd think that your ex would have enough experience with snow to NOT try parking in a drift. But everybody has their weaknesses, I guess.

Here in the Baltimore area, we don't have snow experience as extensive as you upper Midwest folks, so our double-blizzard week last month was quite entertaining. People throwing their backs out and having heart-attacks shoveling, people sliding out of control, people driving on unplowed streets to get to the local store for smokes and lotto, people getting stuck in drifts when they park in plowed parking lots... the list is endless. But I didn't take my camera out and about much because the risk of damage was too great.

It would have been awesome to see the candids of people dealing with amounts of snow they are not use to handling. My uncle is from MN and he moved south where it snows but not much. He shows off to the neighbors when it snows by taking his SUV and driving down the roads when no one else would dare. Laughing.gif.
    edited March 5, 2010
    KerrBear wrote:
    It would have been awesome to see the candids of people dealing with amounts of snow they are not use to handling. My uncle is from MN and he moved south where it snows but not much. He shows off to the neighbors when it snows by taking his SUV and driving down the roads when no one else would dare. Laughing.gif.

I did walk around my own neighborhood during the digout. I'm not terribly pleased with any of the people pics, and I'm particularly disappointed in frame 40 (first pic on page 3 of the gallery), because it's a great pic that almost was - had I been a split second quicker on the uptake, I could have gotten the man entirely in frame and in focus, and it would have been a fabulous shot. Woulda, coulda, shoulda...

http://gallery.willcad.org/WJG-Jrs-Photos/2010/2010-02-11/11214840_BXiB6#786420483_bivFC
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • KerrBearKerrBear Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2010
    WillCAD wrote:
    I did walk around my own neighborhood during the digout. I'm not terribly pleased with any of the people pics, and I'm particularly disappointed in frame 40 (first pic on page 3 of the gallery), because it's a great pic that almost was - had I been a split second quicker on the uptake, I could have gotten the man entirely in frame and in focus, and it would have been a fabulous shot. Woulda, coulda, shoulda...

http://gallery.willcad.org/WJG-Jrs-Photos/2010/2010-02-11/11214840_BXiB6#786420483_bivFC

I actually like the person shot even if you cut the top of his head off a little. He looks like he's absolutely HATING his task. Laughing.gif.

My favorite is the one with the cones. Those two spaces so neatly plowed but blocked off so no one can park there while everything else remains buried. It's a great shot.
    edited March 6, 2010
    Thanks. I didn't really think that one was all that special; my fave is the single blue beach chair (frame 27, page 2). I loved the juxtaposition of the beach chair on all that frozen wasteland.