Options

issues

pinkymalingpinkymaling Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited March 13, 2010 in Weddings
My partner and I (my partner is also my husband) recently came down with a really bad stomach virus and it happened on a friday night. Luckily,we didn't have a wedding or event to shoot that Sat. Whew! This led us to our next thought !!! What would we have done if we had a wedding to shoot that day. Not to mention the rehearsal the night before (which we always attend) What a pickle that would have been.
Question: has anyone ever been put in a predicament such as this and what have they done? We are currently thinking of revising our contracts to cover our bases in this matter. And, we are looking for perhaps a few shooters as well. What are the odds of both of us getting sick at the same time? Rare I believe. I do have a father that has cancer and if there is an emergency I would have to be by his side. Family first right! But my husband would need a second shooter. I am the second shooter. We thought about interviewing other photographers but would like them to shoot as we do...the same style. There are so many things to think about taking on the venture of an emergency shooter. Any recommendations?
:scratch

Comments

• Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    I only second shoot at the moment, but what the wedding photographers do here is make a community. That way they can count on each other to fill a spot in an emergency where he or she could not perform. Plus they know how each other shoot already. It's also been very good to have twitter. One photographer's second got into an accident on the way there and she twittered for a second shooter and got a ton of responses. That's a worst case scenario, though, for sure.
  • Options
    pinkymalingpinkymaling Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    issues
    Thanks for the advise:) It is appreciated. We just contacted a photographer in our area that is going to meet and discuss this issue with us. She is not primarily a wedding photographer but she is good. She would make an ideal second shooter. We are going to call a few wedding photographers that have two shooters as well. We may have an issue with Destinations though. It is nice to network out of our area as well but may be difficult to do. So in saying that .... we have a Destination Wedding in Oklahoma City in May. Is there anyone out there who can cover our backs just in case? We are officially paranoid Laughing.gif!!! but hopefully all will be well. All because of a stomach virus. Thank you once again. Great idea to network with other photographers....another thought.....dealing with other photographers ego's hmmm...topic for another time.clap.gif
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2010
    Just saw this thread... I just put together a contract (after a lot of research on DGrin!!!) and have some words in there about what happens if I am unable to do the shoot. Basically, it says that if there is an emergency I have the right to find a backup photographer, and if I can't, then I will refund all of the money less the $500 non-refundable retainer.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2010
    Kinkajou wrote:
    Just saw this thread... I just put together a contract (after a lot of research on DGrin!!!) and have some words in there about what happens if I am unable to do the shoot. Basically, it says that if there is an emergency I have the right to find a backup photographer, and if I can't, then I will refund all of the money less the $500 non-refundable retainer.

WOW........I don't think think this will fly!

As a professional I believe it's your obligation to have a few back up photographers to call, but I would think this still would be the clients call. After all they hired you, but if they are OK with a substitute in a real emergency then all is well here.

If however you are unable to perform on your end of the contract, (breach of contract) under what moral, ethical or legal theory would you think you could keep any money?

Sam
  • Options
    SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2010
    Sam wrote:
    WOW........I don't think think this will fly!

As a professional I believe it's your obligation to have a few back up photographers to call, but I would think this still would be the clients call. After all they hired you, but if they are OK with a substitute in a real emergency then all is well here.

If however you are unable to perform on your end of the contract, (breach of contract) under what moral, ethical or legal theory would you think you could keep any money?

Sam

I would think you would be obligated to return the retainer as well. The retainer is to insure that you are not left empty-handed if the client cancels. No reason why you should keep it if they held up their end of the bargain.
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • Options
    janiceejanicee Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited March 13, 2010
    that is a good idea... "second shooter"
    I believe that in business you cannot afford to compromise your client, specially wedding No! No! No!

having emergency shooter is really a good idea. IMO