Options

Success conundrum (HELP PLEASE)

ChaoslillithChaoslillith Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
edited March 3, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
Hello all,

So I have good news and bad news. I am looking at being the exclusive photog for an audio visual company that is looking to have me shoot about 20-30 events a year. YAAY HAPPY DANCE!!

Now the other part..the job I currently work I am an asst manager at an optical store and no way in hell well I be able to get 20-30 Sat off a year.

Now when I first took the shoot I was not aware they were looking for a photog for all their events until after I quoted her a price. Since I am new to photography and really wanted the gig ( I got to take pics of Al Gore hehe) I quoted $20.00 an hour as there is no real editing on my part other than noise reduction and cropping.

So now that it seems they are going to want me for more work but I am not sure I will be able to get the time off how do I go about negotiating a better price? Should I look for a new job? What type of contract should I have them sign?

HELP!!

Thanks!
Photography teaches us to observe again. Me.
I am in AZ and would love to meet others from Phoenix.

Comments

• Options
    takeflightphototakeflightphoto Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    Well, congratulations on being wanted. Now you can find out how much they really want you.

Take your gross salary at the optical place + enough extra to buy health insurance + pay your share of self employment taxes + any other job related payments. Divide that amount by 20.

That is what you need to make on each event job to be able to take it on as your main gig.

Good luck. And if you make the plunge, welcome to the world of self employment.
  • Options
    ChaoslillithChaoslillith Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    Thanks for the input
    My brother said to be upfront with them and say I have limited availability due to work and see how they take it.

I can figure out the math if they show interest in paying me a full salary.

I will call them tomorrow. Better phone conversation than email.

Thanks again.
    Photography teaches us to observe again. Me.
    I am in AZ and would love to meet others from Phoenix.
  • Options
    orljustinorljustin Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    Well, they want you because you're cheap. You can't really go back on that now. Doubtful they want to pay a "full salary" for 20 Saturdays. It's likely they'll move on to find someone to do the whole gig. Next time, know what you're getting into. Good luck with it.
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    The problem with taking gigs at $20 is as soon as you want to make money with your skill you realize there are others selling at $20 too.

I wouldn't try to get your full salary out of them, but get them to cover the difference from the cut in pay you'll take to go to a new weekday job plus a little bump.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    Hello all,

So I have good news and bad news. I am looking at being the exclusive photog for an audio visual company that is looking to have me shoot about 20-30 events a year. YAAY HAPPY DANCE!!

Now the other part..the job I currently work I am an asst manager at an optical store and no way in hell well I be able to get 20-30 Sat off a year.

Now when I first took the shoot I was not aware they were looking for a photog for all their events until after I quoted her a price. Since I am new to photography and really wanted the gig ( I got to take pics of Al Gore hehe) I quoted $20.00 an hour as there is no real editing on my part other than noise reduction and cropping.

So now that it seems they are going to want me for more work but I am not sure I will be able to get the time off how do I go about negotiating a better price? Should I look for a new job? What type of contract should I have them sign?

HELP!!

Thanks!

Someone willing to pay for your time is great. It will help with your equipment costs even if you do not make a living from your first customer or even count your own time.

For 20$ an hour you should get a lot more work and could fill your days - although it is unlikely to compute to a business even if you work flat out.

I don't know what an asst manager at an optical store earns but it sounds attractive to you. Go for it!

You are well under the professional rate. Maybe this is why you got the gig. Where I live the rate for reliable creative work from freelancers is a few times more than you are charging - you better find out the going rate in your area asap or you will be selling yourself short and annoying your peers which is never good.