Thinking about b&w vs color

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited March 1, 2010 in Street and Documentary
Boy, the last thing in the world I'm trying to do here is to open up some theoretical can of worms. I just thought it might do my own photography some good to revisit some of my favorites from before I took B.D.'s class last year. I used to disdain b&w and work hard to get great color. I have a hard time with that now, but when I go back and look at some of my all time favorites, I love the color.

I have found b&w liberating in terms of shooting in bad light (noon or midnight) and it has made me concentrate more on composition and on content. But still, I like what I was getting.

Look back, I do notice that these are from a couple of years before I met B.D. In the time between, I was sort on in a slump, except for ballet. B&W really does seem to have helped with that by giving me a new way to see. Now I want to see if I can apply some of what I've learned about photography from B.D. to color...

59912442_ZMpsh-L.jpg

63467602_8mMaZ-L.jpg

67004245_xgQ6z-L.jpg

70063287_H6b6Q-L.jpg

15425844_Qugsj-L.jpg

38006282_KrU5G-L.jpg

48022300_arqbv-O.jpg

80889492_YtDXZ-O.jpg

86453931_AuX6h-L.jpg
If not now, when?

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    "crisp" is the 1st word that pops into my head when I see those color shots..the shirt on the saxophone player really stood out for me for some reason.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    Boy, the last thing in the world I'm trying to do here is to open up some theoretical can of worms. I just thought it might do my own photography some good to revisit some of my favorites from before I took B.D.'s class last year. I used to disdain b&w and work hard to get great color. I have a hard time with that now, but when I go back and look at some of my all time favorites, I love the color.

I have found b&w liberating in terms of shooting in bad light (noon or midnight) and it has made me concentrate more on composition and on content. But still, I like what I was getting.

Look back, I do notice that these are from a couple of years before I met B.D. In the time between, I was sort on in a slump, except for ballet. B&W really does seem to have helped with that by giving me a new way to see. Now I want to see if I can apply some of what I've learned about photography from B.D. to color...

All of these really do work in color - I particularly love the first one - and all would work in black and white. Actually, I think the last one - the construction worker - screams for black and white, but...Truth be told, as color images, what I am first seeing about them is the color - including in the first one - I love the black board, and then the contrast with the colors. So if you want us to see the colors, stick with the color. mwink.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    P.S. The first shot, the ballet shot, and the last shot are really special.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    I've always loved the construction worker shot. Very pretty.