Patience

AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
edited March 6, 2010 in Street and Documentary
800267882_VUyb6-L.jpg

Not sure this works - but there is just something about her pose.
Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams

Comments

• DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    While I am familiar with the general question of "not sure if this works" in
    photography, how do you mean it here... via street & PJ? Or would you
    pose the same question anywhere so's to speak?
    For some silly reason I just have to ask.
    So, it would be nice if you would humor me just this one time.
    I can use the education. bowdown.gifD

On just covering her diligent, astute, posture, (i only say that so I
    can't be held to every saying commanding, in charge, got it together,
    very direct woman stance) theres definitely something about it.
    Personally I like well enough what I am seeing to stick around and
    consider whats going on in it.

I lean towards humor and it is first there I take my thoughts.
    Like maybe she is saying...
    "I hate to break it to ya but that bird is long gone." or
    "Great. I pack it you lose it."
    then possibly "Forget patience. One more minute and I am out of here."
    So on and so forth. mwink.gif
    Michael
  • DeeCajunDeeCajun Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    It works. Love it.
  • AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    DeeCajun wrote:
    It works. Love it.
    Thanks Dee
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
    edited March 4, 2010
    DaddyO wrote:
    While I am familiar with the general question of "not sure if this works" in
    photography, how do you mean it here... via street & PJ? Or would you
    pose the same question anywhere so's to speak?
    For some silly reason I just have to ask.
    So, it would be nice if you would humor me just this one time.
    I can use the education. bowdown.gifD

On just covering her diligent, astute, posture, (i only say that so I
    can't be held to every saying commanding, in charge, got it together,
    very direct woman stance) theres definitely something about it.
    Personally I like well enough what I am seeing to stick around and
    consider whats going on in it.

I lean towards humor and it is first there I take my thoughts.
    Like maybe she is saying...
    "I hate to break it to ya but that bird is long gone." or
    "Great. I pack it you lose it."
    then possibly "Forget patience. One more minute and I am out of here."
    So on and so forth. mwink.gif

Thanks for the detailed feedback DaddyO, it is appreciated.

The "not sure this works" question is actually multi-layered in this instance.
    • Firstly I'm not sure it works in the street/pj context, although it is a candid of strangers which meets the general criteria.
    • Secondly I'm not sure that it works from a technical perspective given the softness of the focus and the graininess of the image.
    • Lastly I'm not sure if people will see enough of a "story" (let alone the story I saw) to be engaged by the image.
    Given that there have been 111 views but only yourself and Dee were sufficiently motivated to comment suggests that the image doesn't work on some level for the majority of people. However since it also didn't motivate people to respond with negative comments it can't be all bad. :D

I took the image because like you I saw humour in the scene - guy futzing about with a camera & tripod, woman stood looking on in a stance I certainly equate with "I'm waiting!". (Personally I could imagine her foot tapping away as her patience wore thin.)

Since I'm new to street photography and am struggling to overcome my inherent British reserve and get closer to the shot, every image I post here is an ongoing part of my education in this genre.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

• PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    "I told you to pack that damned TC. I told you you'd be sorry. Why don't you ever listen to me? MEN!" rolleyes1.gif
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    I just love this photo --- thumb.gifthumb.gif

Been there -- done that. It's my "lets see how long this takes" stand rolleyes1.gif
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2010
    AndMan wrote:

• Firstly I'm not sure it works in the street/pj context, although it is a candid of strangers which meets the general criteria.
    • Secondly I'm not sure that it works from a technical perspective given the softness of the focus and the graininess of the image.
    • Lastly I'm not sure if people will see enough of a "story" (let alone the story I saw) to be engaged by the image.
    Given that there have been 111 views but only yourself and Dee were sufficiently motivated to comment suggests that the image doesn't work on some level for the majority of people. However since it also didn't motivate people to respond with negative comments it can't be all bad. :D

I took the image because like you I saw humour in the scene - guy futzing about with a camera & tripod, woman stood looking on in a stance I certainly equate with "I'm waiting!". (Personally I could imagine her foot tapping away as her patience wore thin.)

Since I'm new to street photography and am struggling to overcome my inherent British reserve and get closer to the shot, every image I post here is an ongoing part of my education in this genre.

I took your "Does this work?" to be the equivalent of a questions some friends and I ask as we pass photos back and forth - "ITS?" or "Is this something?" In other words - 'I like this, and I think it passes the 'specialness' test, but on the other hand...I'm not quite sure. Am I kidding myself?'

"Does this work?" or "Is this something?" is/are an essential question to ask about an image. But Ben, I would not worry about grain, etc. - save that for the camera club. The real question is whether the content of the image, the story, the composition, are somehow special.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • KerrBearKerrBear Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2010
    Laughing.gif. I love her pose as well. I stand like that sometimes and my husband laughs and tells me to "put the Super Mom cape away." He makes a sound effect like a cape is unfolding in the wind and just smiles at me. I usually can't keep a straight face when he does this. . . The bastard.
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2010
    KerrBear wrote:
    Laughing.gif. I love her pose as well. I stand like that sometimes and my husband laughs and tells me to "put the Super Mom cape away." He makes a sound effect like a cape is unfolding in the wind and just smiles at me. I usually can't keep a straight face when he does this. . . The bastard.

ROFLAO!!!
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
    edited March 5, 2010
    Patti, Mary & KerrBear thanks for chiming in & I'm glad you saw something you could relate to.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

edited March 5, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    I took your "Does this work?" to be the equivalent of a questions some friends and I ask as we pass photos back and forth - "ITS?" or "Is this something?" In other words - 'I like this, and I think it passes the 'specialness' test, but on the other hand...I'm not quite sure. Am I kidding myself?'

"Does this work?" or "Is this something?" is/are an essential question to ask about an image. But Ben, I would not worry about grain, etc. - save that for the camera club. The real question is whether the content of the image, the story, the composition, are somehow special.
    I guess the "specialness" test is what I meant by my third "not sure it works", in so far as I thought I'd captured something interesting but would others agree. I would never suggest I'd captured something special particularly as I'm still so new to this, I would however be pleased to have captured something that others found as interesting as I did.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

edited March 5, 2010
    KerrBear wrote:

Well, for Christ's sake girl.. Don't be shy.. Just tell it like it is. :lol4
    Michael
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2010
    B.D. said
    But Ben, I would not worry about grain, etc. - save that for the camera club. The real question is whether the content of the image, the story, the composition, are somehow special.

Now I bet he meant Peter he might of meant us both
    but then again I don't belong to a Camera Club rolleyes1.gif:D

This is all personal to me don't take it that way to yourself, OK.

When I did allot more Wildlife shooting, my wife always wanted to join.
    As welcome as her company is after a fashion she'd get, well lets say bored.
    At that point my shooting was done I'd get angry but didn't want to show it...........
    so after a time I arranged things so I could go out shooting alone without making her feel
    not wanted.

That all made me feel uncomfortable, your image (the lady's body position) makes me feel
    that way again. So it is somehow special, but I don't like it.

And again this is nothing about you taking the shot, hell I'd of done the same. thumb.gif
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2010
    Made me smile! I didn't notice her camera till I went back and looked at it. I think he is looking for something he forgot that she needs. :D
    edited March 6, 2010
    AndMan wrote:

Very nice detailed reply. Thank you. Got my answer and I am hoping you
    got what you needed.
    thumb.gif

To quote you... "overcome my inherent British reserve". rolleyes1.gif
    Must be the Welsh in me that allows me to closely relate so very well to
    your considerations. :D Just as you spelled em out.
    Michael
    edited March 6, 2010
    bfjr wrote:
    B.D. said

Now I bet he meant Peter he might of meant us both
    but then again I don't belong to a Camera Club rolleyes1.gif:D
    Neither do I. :D
    bfjr wrote:
    That all made me feel uncomfortable, your image (the lady's body position) makes me feel
    that way again. So it is somehow special, but I don't like it.

And again this is nothing about you taking the shot, hell I'd of done the same. thumb.gif
    No problem Ben, I very rarely take critiques personally. Plus I've seen enough images here and elsewhere that made me feel uncomfortable that I can certainly relate to what your saying.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page