Options

EXIF keeps getting stripped

Richard_GRichard_G Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
edited March 1, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
I assume exif is created from the metadata? When I roll over the image on my desktop it shows date created, as does the metatadata in Lightroom beta. When I upload there is no extended information. What am I missing here?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    chrisdgchrisdg Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    When using Lightroom's Export functionality, in the export dialog screen there is an option under the MetaData section which says "Minimize Embedded Metadata". Ensure that this option is NOT checked. This may be your problem.

This option appears when you export to FILES ON DISK, or if you are using plugins such as jfriedl's SmugMug Export Plugin for Lightroom.

Hope this helps. Let us know!

btw - you posted this probably by accident into the DGRIN CHALLENGES subforum. The mods will likely move this to the Support section.
    -Chris D.
    http://www.facebook.com/cdgImagery (concert photography)
    http://www.cdgimagery.com (concert photography)
    http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)

• Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    If you are referring to images uploaded to Smugmug...don't forget that in Smugmug, only the Original images contain EXIF. Smugmug strips EXIF from all other sizes. In the Smugmug view, the 'i' will show you the EXIF regardless of image size, but if you look at any image other than Original with some other tool, you will not see EXIF.
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    Chrisdg, I believe Richard is asking about an image he's been trying to upload to the Challenge board. deal.gif

Stripped EXIF is a common problem. Richard_G, you might want to gander at this thread: it's a common problem. :cry
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2010
    Darn, I see the problem now. I had edited it as a "copy", so then it was saved as a different file. Arg. Back to the drawing board I guess.

Thanks very much everybody.
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2010
    Richard_G wrote:
    Darn, I see the problem now. I had edited it as a "copy", so then it was saved as a different file. Arg. Back to the drawing board I guess.

Thanks very much everybody.

If the original image is in RAW format what then? I'm a bit confused.
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    You're not exporting to a raw file though. It's exporting to a jpeg, which is getting uploaded to a smugmug gallery. What we have to figure out is why the metadata is getting stripped when you do so.

A detailed description of the steps you are doing to get the file out of LR3 and into the Challenge gallery would be helpful to troubleshoot this.
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2010
    MarkR wrote:
    You're not exporting to a raw file though. It's exporting to a jpeg, which is getting uploaded to a smugmug gallery. What we have to figure out is why the metadata is getting stripped when you do so.

A detailed description of the steps you are doing to get the file out of LR3 and into the Challenge gallery would be helpful to troubleshoot this.

After my last post I reopened the original and mostly duplicated what I had done before and instead of opening it as a copy in Photoshop from LR, I exited LR, opened it in PS and edited after importing the raw and then saved as jpg, that's what I uploaded and it appears to have the exif.

But while I took this on the 28th, it has today's date as date taken. I'm guessing this is the beta's behavior. Adobe is making me crazy. Again.