How would you process this?

kdspencerkdspencer Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
edited March 3, 2010 in People
I captured these shots of my 2 year old son when we were in Puerto Rico last week. He insisted on pulling his suitcase through the airport and then into the hotel.

I want to make this look like a classic old photo, but I'm not sure how. I've seen some really good processing by some of you. The only thing I could think of was to add noise, which I did, but it doesn't give it that classically old look that I want. Any tips, suggestions, ideas?

(PS - I'm sure some of you may say to toss the photo, but I really like them both!)

800320344_xKsaq-L.jpg

800320905_RGKPb-L.jpg

Thanks!
Kathleen
www.kdspencer.com

Comments

• SittingElfSittingElf Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    kdspencer wrote:
    I captured these shots of my 2 year old son when we were in Puerto Rico last week. He insisted on pulling his suitcase through the airport and then into the hotel.

I want to make this look like a classic old photo, but I'm not sure how. I've seen some really good processing by some of you. The only thing I could think of was to add noise, which I did, but it doesn't give it that classically old look that I want. Any tips, suggestions, ideas?

(PS - I'm sure some of you may say to toss the photo, but I really like them both!)
    Thanks!
    How bout Sepia toning on #1? Maybe add just a bit of noise to it too.
    Might be cool to convert the same pic to vertical by cropping to the pillars. More focus on your son that way.
    Just my $.02... nice shot!
    My Equipment:
    Bodies: Canon- 5D Mark II, 7D, 50D, SD780IS, Sony DSC F828, DSC F717,
    Lenses: Canon EF16-35/f2.8L, EF24-105/f4L, EF100-400L, EF 50mm/1.8 II, EF100/2,8L, EF85/1.8 USM, MP-E65/2.8 1-5X, 15mm Fisheye, 70-200/f2.8L II
    Lighting: Canon 580EXII, 430EXII, MT-24EX, MR-14EX, Sony Hi Power, YinYan BY-180B Studio Strobes (3), Coco Ring Flash Adapter.
    Stability
    :Manfrotto 055CXPRO3, 322RC2, 498RC2, 454 Macro Slider, 175F-1 Clamps
    Video: Canon XHA1, HV-20 (2), HV-30
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    Levels adjustment, increase exposure, black and white, contrast boost.
    That first shot is pretty cool.
  • fireguy.edfireguy.ed Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    My try
    I hope you don't mind me giving this a shot. I'm not about photo editing on this site, I hope I didn't overstep my bounds. ne_nau.gif

If I have, please let me know so I can remove the post ASAP.

Anyway, sepia, crop, film grain..
  • kdspencerkdspencer Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    Thank you SittingElf, zoomer, and fireguy.ed.

I don't mind you posting your take on the image, in fact, I welcome it. It helps me see the results.

Anyone else with thoughts on vertical/horizontal crop or how to edit it? What fireguy.ed did feels close, but isn't quite there yet....

Thanks!!
    Kathleen
    www.kdspencer.com
    edited March 1, 2010
    Don't like the vertical crop, but then I love pano's.
    If you feel the need to crop it just crop enough to take the light out of the top and make it more of a pano.
    Then after you do all the other stuff to it put some light vignette around the edges.
  • Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    fireguy.ed wrote:
    I hope you don't mind me giving this a shot. I'm not about photo editing on this site, I hope I didn't overstep my bounds. ne_nau.gif

If I have, please let me know so I can remove the post ASAP.

Anyway, sepia, crop, film grain..

The vertical crop works great, so does the processing.
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • photorelivephotorelive Banned Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    i think zooming on him and crop the photo would look nice
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    zoomer wrote:
    Don't like the vertical crop, but then I love pano's.
    If you feel the need to crop it just crop enough to take the light out of the top and make it more of a pano.
    Then after you do all the other stuff to it put some light vignette around the edges.

Yep, that is what I would do too. I would also set the black and white point to give it more contrast.
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    ARRRRGH!

I'm trying something but need to re-boot the computron..... rolleyes1.gif
    edited March 2, 2010
    What makes 1 a cool shot is the look of a little guy in a big world from the pano orientation. If you vertical crop it up close the picture loses that, then it is just a snap shot of a little guy dragging a suitcase.

As heatherfeather said it definitely needs a levels adjustment, then black and white and adjust contrast to taste.
    edited March 2, 2010
    OK, got the cosmo's back in line. mwink.gif

My thinking;

Delete; grabbed the wrong one.... (idiot)

Not finished but it should give the general idea... I played with crop but killing that light, killed the 'frame in frame' thing, IMO. ne_nau.gif
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    I must be really bored... I never edit other peoples photos... But here is my take:

He sure is a cutepie! iloveyou.gif
    edited March 2, 2010
    This one.

• kdspencerkdspencer Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    Wow, thank you everyone for your responses. I'm thrilled that you think it's an image worthy to work on. I actually thought people might tell me to trash it, but I think it's a great image!

It's cool that everyone has a different idea of how they would process the photo.

I did take a few photos in vertical format, but I didn't like them as well since it didn't show the size contrast (little Justin in a big world).

D'Buggs, how did you process your image? (by the way, I'm glad I'm not the only one with a computer that crashes)

Taking all of your suggestions, here is what I came up with. Sepia, Levels, Film Grain, more Levels, Vignette. I cropped the top light out and then cloned/patched out the reflection from the upper part of the doorway. I was trying not to lose the top of the door frame. What do you think???

801046387_yV9kK-L.jpg

And just for fun... here's a photo of Justin on the beach. This is what he looks like from the front. :D

800318097_9ZzGd-L.jpg
    Kathleen
    www.kdspencer.com
  • topcat374topcat374 Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    Good work IMO Kathleen. thumb.gif

I like the PP you've done on the shot without adding too much noise. I have a shot I've been sitting on for over a year now that I'd like to do a similar thing to so may try to replicate what you've done here!
    More practice needed but learning all the time!:rofl

Nikon D50, 18mm-55mm, 55mm-200mm, 50mm f/1.8, SB800, LowePro Slingshot 200AW and other bits!
    edited March 2, 2010
    kdspencer wrote:

.... but I didn't like them as well since it didn't show the size contrast (little Justin in a big world).

D'Buggs, how did you process your image? (by the way, I'm glad I'm not the only one with a computer that crashes)

I hear ya on cropping in; there's a lot of symmetry, depth and space that gets lost. Even losing the light up top and center, digs into it. headscratch.gif

All I basically did was some selective dodge/burning after resetting the black point and doing an overall contrast adjustment. In my effort, the kiddy needs more toning down/separation. I (obviously) added a crap-load of noise and a sepia filter. I also did some sharpening... It's all pretty rough and I was just trying to inspire ya. thumb.gif

I really think your rendering would like some noise in order to get the "Old" like you wanted. ne_nau.gif
    edited March 2, 2010
    Your final version is very well done, like it.
    If it were mine I would select the little guy and the suitcase and brighten just that part of the photo "VERY LIGHTLY" so he is brighter but does not look out of place. Just ever so slightly make him stand out a little more.
    That really is a cool photo.

It's like it needs a bubble where it says "I hope I remembered to lock my car".
  • Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    I still stick to what I said before about the crop.
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • FstoplifeFstoplife Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    I really like this picture, the composition is great! This is my take on the aged effect.

aged.jpg
    Flickr My, not quite there yet, website

~This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.~